Is she fucking weird or I'm tripping?

There is this woman I met in college. She's very nice, smart and cute. There is just one thing that I find weird about her. She's 26 and she's still living with her parents. Also when I asked her if she had a job she said she has a family business and that she helps the business grow and mainly her father.
That just sounded weird to me and to be honest those things kinda hold me back from asking her out because I'm thinking she's not independent enough to find a job and to live on her own. Is her status/position normal or am I just tripping?

Most Helpful Girl

• it depends.. i mean usually you leave home in your early twenties that's right but maybe she hasn't found her right appartment yet or there is another reason why she prefers to stay at home.. but this shouldn't be a reason to hold you back from dating her or something :) you might be her next roomie who knows lol
    and personally i have a lot of friends of mine work in their parents' business because it's a lot easier to work there than to apply for jobs this just means she's probably too comfy to get her ass up and do something on her own haha :) she might just have a good connection to her parents and likes to work for them.. but i understand that this sounds weird to you :)

• Well she invited me to have dinner the other day and to be honest the relationship she has with her parents and her brother seemed very good. They literally talk openly about any subject and treat eachother as if they are best friends more than daughter-parents relationship. that also seemed weird to me, her brother is 28 and he still live with his parents and also works at their business. They are both attending college during the time they are free from their business hours, I can they business is important and the family too. But I don't know if she's an independent woman who will ever be willing to move out of her home. Isn't this too weird of a family?

• oh alright they seem to have a really strong relationship with their parents.
      but i think she would be ready to make a commitment such as moving out if the right guy comes across her way :)

Most Helpful Guy

• It's becoming normal, because the cost of living is much higher than what most entry-level jobs are paying. Not to mention, these entry-level jobs require several years of experience. Ironic, isn't it?

You have to make a character judgment and assess whether or not she's lazy and unambitious. She could just as easily be a sensible woman who sees a great opportunity to save money by staying with her parents.

Independence is a social construct that is highly valued in the US. You grow up, you get educated, and you leave the nest to pursue the American dream (well, the American dream is terminally ill). To put this in perspective, in other cultures what she is doing is actually normal.

• I asked before if she was saving money, and she said her only goal was to make their business grow so it could create more jobs for others. Going back to her weirdness, she invited me to have dinner the other day and to be honest the relationship she has with her parents and her brother seemed very good. They literally talk openly about any subject and treat eachother as if they are best friends more than daughter-parents relationship. that also seemed weird to me, her brother is 28 and he still live with his parents and also works at their business. They are both attending college during the time they are free from their business hours, I can understand the business is important and the family too. But I don't know if she's an independent woman who will ever be willing to move out of her home. Isn't this too weird of a family?

• They aren't weird, they are just different. You're comparing people on one end of the spectrum to yourself on the other end. You bought into the idea of independence and leaving the nest as soon as possible. If it worked out, great. Some people believe in a strong family unit and stay close and look after one another, irrespective of whatever cultural narrative they are told.

What Girls Said 2

• everyone is different. i think you should take the risk and ask her out. then, when you two will get to know each other, you will see how things will go and you will find out why she is staying with her parents! then you will decide if you want to stay with her or leave her kindly!

• This is a woman who knows how to work well with others and has a strong sense of loyalty. They are preparing her to take over the family business which means stability. I would consider her some kind of rare find if I were you:)

What Guys Said 12

• Nothing odd about that really, particularly since it sounds as if she's still a student - plenty of students still live with their parents, it's hard to afford anything else!

Sounds to me like she's a very sensible and probably frugal girl, who works as well as studying... you've got a heck of a catch there.

• It comes down to why she is helping with the family business. Think about it this way, if she is building her future by investing her time into something that will allow her to continue her lifestyle, give her income in the future and build a future for herself, and her future children, then she is definitely doing the correct thing. Part of being a business owner (as opposed to an employee) is that your income is based on the companies performance, not your own. If she is saving money or even better reinvesting her income she is building wealth, and part of that is living with sacrifices some of them maybe living with her parents.

• You be trippin mate

• in some ways yes its weird that she has not wanted to be on her own but may be she does. but feels trapped in someway do to reasons she isn't saying at this time. you will not know the reasons behind the actions untill you get to know her better. about the job thing when there is a family business its common for family member to work there

• You're definitely tripping bro. I know guys in their 30s who still live with their parents. They're doing just fine. The lady sounds like a catch though.

• You are totally tripping and buying into a narrative which was created to keep you from building empires with your family by the elite who keep their money in the family.

She can do better than you.

• sounds like a good women to me.

• Sounds normal to me. So she's nice, smart, cute AND is helping run a business? Sounds awesome to me.

• Why do you even care? It shouldn't influence anything negative if she can't live alone, because maybe she does not want to live alone.

• She's probably in an incestual relationship with her father.

I've met girls like that in the past.

• you have weird standards. you might lose a good woman over nonsense

• It's not weird that she doesn't want to be a 9-5 corporate slave faggot.