Is it weird to date your "cousin"?

*I DONT MEANT AN ACTUAL COUSIN*
I mean when your parent has a best friend and you grow up calling them aunt or uncle. Then they have a kid and you call them cousin even when you're not actually cousins.
What if you were to date or do things with this "cousin"
Would that be weird?

by the way I'm not asking for me. Just wondering

Most Helpful Girl

• No because you're not actually related.

• exactly. i hate when people try and make something seem like what it isn't. its the same as step siblings you're just total strangers who happen to live together or have gotten to know each other etc. yet so many people act like its a huge deal when really they need to get their head out of their ass and just get over it

Most Helpful Guy

• No but it is weird to call someone like that your cousin. You do realize for someone to be your cousin, they actually have to be related right? It's a family friend, not a cousin and yes its perfectly OK to date a family friend.

In a lot of Islamic cultures they also all marry their first cousins so go figure.

What Girls Said 10

• No, Not "Weird" at all, @JustinTheGreat
    No blood loss here, dear.
    Good luck. xx

• If they like you then go ahead and date, like you said their not your real cousin, but if they see you as a real cousin (in their mind) then don't cross that burning bridge, I report don't cross it. Good luck pal.

• YES SO WERID!

• Im black. We dont call mom's best friend's child a "cousin" lol

• I think no, since you aren't real cousins with this "cousin". just try to get it out of your mind.

• No.. I don't think its weird..

• No, it's not weird because you aren't actually related to that person, you just refer to them as your "cousin".

• Nope I don't think that's weird at all? You guys grew up together but you're in no way related? Your parents just so happen to be close. I say go for it if you want it.

• As long as they're not related to you, its fine.

• That's not your cousin. You parent's best friend's child.

What Guys Said 6

• Nothing wrong with dating her, you two aren't blood related! :-P

• When asking society, everything is both weird and offensive.

But no I don't see anything strange about it.

• Why do you even call them cousin? Aunt and uncle is normal technically it would be ok

• In some countries, it's ok to marry your cousin.
    In your case, it's fine.

• Not if it's your step father or step mothers niece or nephew

• If you like him/her and visa versa then no what is to stop true love