They say "work on yourself and a relationship will come along"?

So I am 21 and for a considerable amount of time, I have obsessed over the idea that I have never been in a relationship. Although, I have felt this way since I was 17. And I am told that I am pretty, from both sexes. I am a decent individual and it kind of bothers me to know that one of my friends from highschool will be getting married soon. I have been asked out in the past but every guy that has ever given me attention did not appeal to me and I want someone I will connect with emotionally and physically. Is this a cliche statement? Like what is wrong with me or these guys? Plus I have no friends, which does not help the situation. But, I attend college and all these guys never given me a second glance, the only ones that do are usually players or the type of guy you would avoid. Am I doomed to be alone or something? It really is not fair. I know there is nothing wrong with me but apparently to guys there are.

• Yes, this statement is true; for most at least
  • No, I believe that it is a cliche statement

Most Helpful Guy

• It's such a cliche. People say that because they don't know what else to say. "Working on yourself" doesn't guarantee results. Never has.

• If you're actually working for something and pursuing your goals, that is different. Something appearing because you're ambitious with no reason behind it seems kind of... hypothetical.

• The rationale is that by working on yourself, you won't be looking, and a relationship will happen randomly when you're not looking, but there's no guarantee anything will happen, especially if you're not actively looking. Its a catch 22.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the statement is cliche, I know plenty of messed up people who are in relationships. I know people who are obese, broke, no job, no ambition, are really insecure or jealous or have anger issues or hate themselves who are in relationships

• THATS WHAT IM SAYINGGG

What Guys Said 5

• nope in fact happy people tend to be single longer because they aren't co dependents trying to find happiness in another person

• It could be your body language (do you smile or appear pleasant, etc. while in the presence of guys? It could be your style, or it could be how guys interpret your personality.

Keep in mind that the type of guys you appear to like are oftentimes guys who are more likely to avoid approaching a woman who has not given them the go-ahead to do so.

• vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

"... the only ones that do are usually players or the type of guy you would avoid." No, people are interested in you but not the ones you are interested in back. My advice to you is to approach guys yourself. Do this at least 100 times then we can access the situation from there...

• It's hard to say without observing you. Have you ever talked to guys that you maybe interested in?

• Nothing just "comes along". Maybe you'll MEET a girl, but she won't magically become your girlfriend by you doing nothing.

What Girls Said 3

• They're lying to your face, Becky

• Lying about this statement?

• Mmhmm, whether it's family love, friendship love, or relationship love

• So true, I love some of my dysfunctional family members :p

• I'm exactly the same!! I never kissed a guy. I recently went do low to online dating and had my first real date. I've hung out with guys before but as friends

Tbh I get better quality guys while I'm in process of working on myself

• Age 21 was my first relationship, he's my first everything and I'll be marrying him soon. Just have to be patient. It happened to me. I thank GOD it did