Would you date someone who has genital herpes?

This is a difficult subject for a lot of people. If you met someone that your really liked and clicked with, would you continue dating them after revealing they have genital herpes? For someone who has it, it's very difficult for them to just come right out and tell someone, for the sheer fact alone of being rejected. Also, the other person may think their partner is not interested simply because they're holding out on sex, when they are just waiting until the time is right to tell them. If you decided not to continue seeing that person, would you be mature enough to not tell your friends or others about it if they were to ask you why it did not work out?

Most Helpful Guy

• After watching this then sure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4VcOQzQm0

• This video is actually pretty funny. I was recently diagnosed with it, and mentally, it's been one of the most difficult challenges I've ever had to go through. Because I've been careful with all of my partners in the past, and used protection every single time. Chances are, I got it from someone who didn't know they were carrying it, either. It's surprising how much I didn't know about this condition, and how much people really don't know the truths about it either. It's very taboo, but once you are on the other side, your entire perspective changes. Support through friends has been my biggest help. It will completely change the way I date for the rest of my life now.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes when you date you date someone with herpes the partner doesn't always catch it. I have known a couple over 12 years. The girl has it but the guy doesn't.

What Guys Said 10

• tell me, I'll use precautions and give her an orgasm

plus all these people writing saying they wouldn't already have herpes lol

• LOL!! Oh I bet you would... very best answer yet. Thank you!!

• most people have herpes by the time there in middle school they didn't even need to have sex to get it

• I don't want herpes. Every relationship I've had so far has ended and put me back out on the market. I don't need to be back on the market with herpes.

And yes, I have had to quit seeing someone after she told me. It was a shame because she was cool and a fox. But at least she understood.

• No, I don't think I would.

• No. I just can't. I got taught good lessons in school.

If you avoid having sex with people who have STD's, you are much less likely to catch an STD. Including ones that basically never go away.

• I personally would not, and yes the fear of rejection sucks... but you must be honest and upfront about it as soon as possible. I know its a shit thing to live with but we all have our burdens to bare. On the question of keeping it a secret... that completely depends on how the girl handles things. I treat respectful people with respect, and for people who show disrespect to me I feel less inclined to do so.

• Also after reading your responses to others I have come to the conclusion that your not asking this question to seek an answer but rather to recieve some sort of validation. Which is why you are arguing with so many people who are answering the question in a way that you dont like. It sounds to me like you knew the answer to the question before you even asked it, you just dont want to accept it. It would be a healthier activity to work towards self acceptance of your status then trying to fool yourself into thinking things are different then they are.

• Exactly I think you're on the right track. Gather all the information you can so you can make all the best decisions that you can. Accepting hard truths is hard. But as long as you're honest and straightforward and be careful about what you do with your vagina. You'll be fine you'll figure it out and with any luck you'll find happiness.

• And for god sakes don't take anything personally

• no i wouldn't and I've seen the matt ruins everything show about it. i just call bullshit.

• no i wouldn't and i wouldn't tell any of my friends about her condition unless they were interested in her.

• I understand that you would want to protect your friends by telling them, but ultimately that is up to her... It's a very personal thing, and it can be very hurtful.

• Lol riiiight... but I can assure you, not everyone that contracts this unfortunate virus lives a promiscuous lifestyle. Keep in mind, that a hoe would probably not tell you or your bros, let alone even be aware if she had it. Jus sayin. haha

• yup but thats how people get killed.

• No I'd leVe

• no, never. they shouldn't be permitted to date.

• Just an FYI, 80% of people who carry it (1 out of 6) don't even know they have it.

• good for you...

• Well, I respect your decision on not wanting to date someone who has it. But you shouldn't treat them like the disease itself... it doesn't define a person, and they have feeling just like you. It's not like they asked to get it.

• I wouldn't date her because I could end up being infected with that infection and there's no cure for it. I would reject her but I wouldn't disclose she had herpes to anyone else.

What Girls Said 4

• Honestly I would respect them telling me and appreciate it however I can't be with someone who is going to put me at risk and or prevent me from potentially having children with them as I would have to be exposed to it and then during birth my children would be too. I don't think its anyones business except mine if they chose to tell me.

• Ewk!! Not if I know about it. That's so gross!! I do not even care if their story is sad... Sure I'll feel bad for them, that's unfortunate... But I'm not putting myself at risk if I know about it beforehand. ...

You need to be careful whom you become intimate wih... This is something very important to me, so I wouldn't date someone who just carelessly fucks just to fuck and then come home wih an unpleasant surprise. And sometimes you ARE careful, and people lie to you, and thats truly unfortunate, but I still wouldn't risk it with That person IF I know about it.

To reveal their personal information... IF asked, I "might" say say it... Depending on the people who are asking... Close people to me or people I don't even really talk with.. Etc. Most likely not though. It's none of their business.

• No way. I'm sorry but I can't. In most cases such things can easily be avoided by not sleeping around and knowing your sexual partner as-well as using protection (but it's harder for oral). I am saving myself for my Husband and basically avoid all the things than can possibly give me Herpes, so it would be unfair of him to transmit such a decease to me.

• like how to behave her... you reckon the world has to like you... no, it doesn't. perhaps your culure raises Princesses, but meh..

• okay like how to say what people can or cannot do... haha.. perhaps get tested for mental health issues, not my issue if you ro don't but you need it.

• @ElissaDido it is completely respectable that you have chosen to be more self-conscious about your future partner (s). In fact, I applaud you for that. Having a plan for the future and sticking to it, as well as being well educated on the subject, is one of the best ways to prevent it. But also keep in mind that over half the people in the world become infected with some sort of STD at some point in their lives, and still have happy, healthy babies. My best friend bore 2 children (vaginally) with HSV-2 (genital herpes) and both are in the great health and nothing was passed on to them. Make sure you have all of your facts straight, and don't believe everything you read online, or follow typical cliche stereotypes either. An keep bein' smart about your decisions, girl. Good on ya!

• I would not date him and No I would not tell anyone about it.