Is "woman" an insult?

Because I have heard guys as well as girls say, "be a man" which metaphorically means you need be be brave.
But as woman is opposite of man.. Calling someone a woman means calling a coward?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Historically speaking men go to war so therefore throughput history men have been braver. I'll probably get hate for this post ha

What Girls Said 1

• Yeah, pretty much... I actually didn't think anyone else noticed that :). It's incredibly annoying when people say, 'grow a pair' or 'man up'. There's nothing wrong with being a woman. We're not all pathetic and useless.

• It is to insult men not women, so it is fine to use. Why does everything have to be about women and what they want, this is about men who are weak. I suppose you think it is ok to say stop being retarded or stop acting like a retard even though that is offensive towards mentally disabled people.

• @TimeSplitters123 no I don't think it's okay to say that at all. It isn't meant to insult the woman I know but it's implying that men should be ashamed if they act feminine. The problem is that it shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing to be womanly.

What Guys Said 6

• You mean calling a guy woman means indicating to him that he is a coward? right?

I would say yes, that's right in many ways.

• I've said something like

"SHUT UP WOMAN"
    to my sister i wasn't really insulting her by saying woman i was just telling her to be quiet in a very...

sibling - ish way

• I regard anyone who says be a man in the same way I regard people who use racial or homophobic slurs

• It is no different than women saying stop acting like a retard, or stop being a retard. that is offensive towards mentally disabled people.

• It depends on how you say it. If you add a little stink on it, it can come off as an insult. Like I have a friend who sometimes call the girls woman when they`re getting rowdy with him and it pisses them off

• you must be BE A MEN