How do I find a potential girlfriend?

So, I'm embarassed to talk about this, but I have never had a girlfriend before, and I'm about to turn 23. My looks/style/physical health doesn't seem to be much of a problem, and I feel I'm at least somewhat of a good person. Problem is I'm a) very shy (I can talk to girls, but never in a way that suggests I'm interested in them, so I can't manage to do it in nightclubs) and b) I have no idea where to meet potential girlfriends. I don't think I will ever get over a) completely, so I'm left with working on b). I know I should look for activities that suit the kind of girl I'm looking for, but truth is I don't know what type of girl I want before I meet her. My university unfortunately doesn't offer much in terms of special interest courses that are so popular in the US, which really sucks. I don't have any hobbies that require meeting people either, and I don't feel like forcing myself to do something only to meet women would be very smart. I don't really know what I'm asking here, I'm mainly heartbroken over finding out my crush is taken... So I guess my question is: How do I even put myself out there? Thank you all for your help ;)

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• Get really, really good at something then talk about it with girls. Find something to be good at, and do it. Master it.

That confidence you've built up from within will exude in your tone.

• The key is socializing. Just try to get into a social circle with girls in it. It will happen itself then, you won't have to put in extra effort. Once in the circle, just smile back if you think a girl is into you and you're done. Your interaction will grow from there.

• I guess so, but I'd have to find a circle like that first, which isn't that easy.

Thank you for the response.