What does it mean to be dating but not exclusive?

Me and this guy have been friends for close to a yr and has liked me we've always hung out with mutual friends (how we met), the past 2 times hanging it has just been us. We have made out when I was drunk. He tells my friends he just met we were dating but not exclusive. He's never talked about us being a thing.

What Guys Said 1

• You are technically a thing but if something better comes along, he'll go after her.

What Girls Said 2

• I've been in this situation a couple times. Sounds like you're good friends, exploring if there's anything more to it. Most people don't go straight from friends to relationship, so this is your time to figure out what you want from each other. If you've only hung out with him alone a couple of times, he probably just feels it's too early to put an exclusive label on things.

• It means he is dating you but not promising to just date you alone. Be may go out with other people.