Would you date an Atheist if you were Christian and vice versa?

I am an Atheist, i do not believe in anything. I'm also not sure how i would get along with dating a Christian, depending on their level of religion and how often they go to church also if they try to change me to their views... it wouldn't work. (of course i dont rule possible suitors out basing on their religion)

Most Helpful Guy

• If you won't get frustrated with them as a person for their beliefs or think less of them, or they you... even when you both argue about it - and you make it nothing but a fun debate and playful banter.

However, every relationship has its fights and I'm afraid these differences will eventually come out during them and further complicate them.

Most Helpful Girl

• yes I would, as long as they'd be fine with me going to mass every weekend and holy day of obligation, I wouldn't mind at all.

What Guys Said 21

• Great question. I have often wondered this being an Atheist myself. I have all ways believed that love or sexual attraction should be able to overcome all other man made boundaries or hurdles. Skin colour , creed or Religion don't a have a place in love but it is apparent that others who do suffer from narrow mindedness will allow it to cloud their judgment.

• I've dated religious, and not religious women before. My father is an Anglican minister and my parents are from Barbados, which is heavily into religion as a country. I was born in Canada, and baptized Anglican. Under my parents house and with their influence around me heavily, I was a good Christian boy. But, from traveling to different countries, getting a better view of what religion of any sort has done in the past good and bad, and from thinking in more broader terms of how life works and nature and knowing how VAST this universe is. I'll still defend the views of religion, to an extent, but I don't think we, as people, should follow "human" created doctrines, beliefs, rules of life/philosophy/science/law so blindly that it makes us puppets or mindless drones instead of what we are. The most intelligent, free-thinking, creations on THIS planet. I say THIS planet, because I do not believe we are the most intelligent creations in existence. That has yet to be scene by us and if we ever will, I don't know.

Well, sorry for the lengthy background, but because of my present feelings about our life as "humans", who are we to judge who is acceptable in the eyes of an all powerful creator. Or who are we to judge what way someone should believe. That's kind of playing "God" in it's own right. I'm not an Atheist, because I still have a belief in a higher power, whatever "IT" may be, because I have a hard time believing it's a "human".

So, in that respects, of course I will go out with someone who isn't, necessarily, religious. Just as long as you have a good heart and a belief in care in humanity, that's all I think we need in life. I'm sure that's what a "supreme being" would want us to feel.

• Yeah, I'm an Atheist and my ex girlfriend was a Christian. She wasn't that religious but, she would go to church every Sunday with her family... etc. She even spoke about children and stuff with me (which was way too soon but I spoke about it with her anyways) and I told her that I don't mind if she wants to attempt making the children Christian. She could try putting religion in them and take them to church etc. but the minute my child expresses dislike against religion, I'll take his/her side. He/She is free to choose.

• Why not?

• Yes. I'm an atheist/agnostic myself, and if I loved my girlfriend, I would really careless if she was Christian. In fact, I'd go to church with her, and even pray, or pretend I do, just for her. Of course, I would maintain my beliefs.

• Im atheist too. I wouldn't date hardcore christians, but if they were kinda religious it doesn't bother me. Everybody has their own views on different topics and it wouldn't be fair to discriminate them because of their religious views.

• i dated a hardcore christian once. his parents were super religious too. he once texted a mass message saying "God just walked in to my house my family and i just MET and SAW god" he even sent the message to my family... i thought it was SO weird and i never thought of him the same. but that relationship is long gone now haha

• i can respect their religion, but not that crazy..

• I'd be fine dating an atheist. They respect my way of viewing the universe I extend the same courtesy. I'd hate to be with someone that shared similar views but were a complete bigot about it.

• I would never date an Atheist once I found out about it

• why not? doesn't your god expect you to accept people for who they are? why discriminate someone on jut that one little thing about them, especially if you loved every other aspect of the person?

• He would want me to witness to you and I would do that if you did not listen we would be over.

• Sure, you don't believe in anything thats a dealbreaker,
    I can understand not believing in the paranormal or having no beliefs in a god.
    But belief also covers faith in humanity, Are there people in this world you care for,
    Thats a faith in in of itself.
    Without that you are a nihilist not just an atheist
    and I'll let Walter Sobchak (a jewish character I might add and yes thats relevant to the scene) from The Big Lebowski explain,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_29yvYpf4w

• I am a christian and no I would not date anyone outside of my faith, I've tried it before it didn't end well. And honestly It's just better and easier to be with people inside your religion or faith especially when it comes to children and raising a family.

• What? You are an atheist, I hate atheists.. They don't have any imagination.
    I will forever worship my Allah, and you can rot in hell for eternity.
    God bless Allah.

• Lol god bless god

• No, I will have seks with my 72 virgins in heaven, you rot in hell with Mr. Satan's 2 incher. JesusHuAkbar

• little troll

• She could be christian, hindu, muslim , atheist etc if she's cool i don't have a problem.

• Agnostic here. And no. I would as much avoid getting into useless arguments about beliefs and whatnot. It doesn't matter to me. I'd rather date a person who is more focused on larger issues in life, like humanity, climate change, world hunger, consumerist society, etc.

You could endure while you're still young but those things come up later in life anyway, so if you're like me, avoid them like the plague.

• ehh... no. I have a rule--when I know I absolutely would never make vows to a woman, I end things. couldn't date an atheist.

• I'm christian I wouldn't waste my time dating an atheist she would just be a fuck that's about it

• No, I would not ever date an atheist.

• For multiple reasons. One would be that we wouldn't ever be compatible. And another reason would be that I wouldn't be able to deal with knowing that the person I'm in love with is destined to hell because of their unbelief. I would date an atheist if they were open to learning a thing or two, but someone who is dogmatic and has a "know it all" attitude just would never work.

I'm not the stereotypical Christian though. Like the ones you meet in your daily life. Most of them are ignorant to what they believe and couldn't explain anything to a lost person b/c they don't actually study their bibles. I stay away from churches, because all they spread is their hate and fake religious traditions. And, likewise, most people flip of God because of those same hypocrites.

• Yes I would.

• No.

I wouldn't want my children raised Christian, and I wouldn't attend Christian events as a family etc, and it's not fair of me to ask her to give all that up, so I wouldn't date her.

• No way would I date a cultist.

• Been there 🤔 Was not very pleasant; the ideals were just too far apart

• of course not. an atheist woman would make my life a nightmare. if you live the value of spirituality you know that only spiritual people are worth it.

What Girls Said 2

• no i wouldn't. too complicated.

• Yes I would. I dated a Christian guy and I am not religious at all. It was an amazing relationship.