What would happen to the dating site industry if all guys stopped initiating messages on dating sites?

• Women would be forced to send a first message to men
  • Communication would cease and the entire dating site industry would collapse

Most Helpful Guy

• Women in the USA are not about to give up their privileged status in terms of the guys having to do the asking and their getting to choose... not in general, anyway!

So if guys wised up it would be the end of most online dating.

• Despite our minor arguments on GAG previously, I decided to give your MHO

• Life's too shortn for petty grudges. I have no recollection of arguments with you.

But anyway, I must have been right

What Girls Said 4

• You guys are absolutely ridiculous.
    The industry would not fail. There would be enough women that would message first. It's not such a rare thing.

Just because they haven't messaged YOU first doesn't mean they haven't messaged someone else first.

I will message someone first that interests me. If they do not have a fleshed out profile, which most don't, or if their profile makes them seem like someone I'm not interested in, I'm obviously not going to message that person. Now, if that same person were to message me first, I would probably send a few messages back and forth to see if we "click", but otherwise I'm not going to waste my time messaging every single guy first. If you don't catch my attention, I'm not going to message you.

Whereas it seems like most (not all) guys go "oh hot picture? message!". They don't even read the profile (from my experience). They just see a picture and try to talk to you even if you're not compatible at all. Then those same people go off and cry about how girls don't message first, blah blah blah. And the funny thing is, I bet there have been girls that have messaged you (the person who makes that claim) that were not attractive so you just brushed them aside and forgot about them.

And, as a side note, I've always heard complaints about how women always message "hot" guys and how "hot" guys inboxes are flooded with girls wanting to meet him. So, perhaps you aren't very hot? Clearly that shows that women DO message first.

However, that's not what I do. I can't speak for all women, of course, but I only base my first messages on people that have a striking personality that stand out from the rest.

• Seriously, just message someone you are interested in.
      Why does everyone have to play stupid childish games?
      If I see someone I'm interested in, I'm going to tell them. I'm not going to sit around waiting for that person to message me first. And I don't think this is a rare opinion for a female. I think guys are just so oblivious to the situation.

• Guys are not always the first ones to send messages. I've sent my fair share of em.

• yea, but you're CHARismatic and not every girl is

• ... fair enough

• I sent the first message to my current partner. He never would have messaged me, because he never messaged anyone (shy and just "browsing", so to speak)

Granted, there are a lot of women who don't message first.. but I'd wager that there are just as many that do. Just because they don't message YOU first, doesn't mean they don't message someone else first :P

• Hallelujah I wouldn't have guilt for not responding anymore.

• Hey I would really like to get to know you and see if we could click, do you mind inboxing me your contact information so we can chat off GAG?

• The comment I posted to your answer was just a blah statement based on the question I posted, I didn't really mean it

• Oh haha. That's funny. 😂

• Omfg you are so melodramatic

What Guys Said 10

• Since most women online are just looking for validation, they sites would quickly fall out of fashion.

• I voted B - the industry would fall apart. Option A wouldn't happen because women would just revert back to dating in real life, going to bars and waiting for men to approach or compliment them. ... hey, that's kind of the same thing that happens online, fancy that.

• I think (B) is more likely.

• There would be a drastic reduction in interaction on such sites.

• I think A is the more likely scenario

• I've only get ONE initiated message from a girl TINDER and it went no where, after she said she will get back to me cause gonna go to sleep

• the industry would take a huge hit

• The website would eventually die out! #Drought

• Well it would get a lot of women off their high horses and they would either have to contact men or go out dating in the real world. It's a shame that men are so weak and pathetic to give women so much attention on dating sites.

• It would probably change a little. I've had girls send me messages on POF, it does happen

• cos you have half a dozen modes of transport and live in a big house and own your own company and fly planes and win at everything?

• @26ukdude
      Well I have more than half a dozen veichles to be precise. But I'm totally honest in my profile, no point lying. Truth comes out eventually.

• oh, i only got that from your opinion on a question i posted earlier, I like muscle cars too but we dont really get them in the UK.