Should you date someone who is the opposite of you in some ways?

There is this guy that likes me. We dress differently, we listen to different music, I smoke and he doesn't, and I smoke pot and he doesn't. All our thought processes are the same though, and we are on the same pagewith the way we look at like etc.

Should I say we should just be friends or should I give him a chance?

Most Helpful Guy

• My wife is one of those opposite types.

I like beer and hot wings. She likes French restaurants.

I'd prefer to go to like a rock concert with women throwing their bras on the stage. She likes operas and classical Jazz bands.

I like horror films. She hates them and likes to watch Disney films.

We've probably widened each other's experience a bit.

I showed her violent horror films, and she got nightmares. She made me watch musical romantic films, and I got nightmares.

I took her to a strip club. She took me to an opera.

Things of this sort. It's nice and I really think opposites can attract, but sometimes I wish we had a little more in common.

I consider my wife a soul mate because of how well we get along and share each other's thoughts, but before I dated someone who was pretty much like me in every way possible (like a doppelganger soulmate, except female). At least, I couldn't imagine another girl on this planet who is more like me. And we drove each other crazy, I guess kind of like how an actual clone of yourself might drive you crazy.

I'd give him a chance if you're okay not always having everything in common, and both open-minded to new experiences. My wife did manage to make me like some new things, and if not, at least know more about them. And hopefully I did the same to her.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well... I have a crush who is basically the total opposite from me. I am bubbly and always laughing and am a total socialite. I love music and all the artsy stuff. I'm outgoing asf. I like smoking pot too and drinking.

I'm pretty sure he's not into drugs. He doesn't like music much. Loves to play video games and watch Pokeman and anime stuff. I watch a little anime, but not the heavy stuff. I like video games, but don't play them much. While I am well liked by many, he is not. We are so opposite from each other it's not funny. We have some similarities that bond us which makes it possible for me to like him, but not much, haha. We both like cats though!

But, I still like him and if he asked me out, I would most definitely say yes. I think you should try things out. I don't see what dressing differently has to do with anything. Everyone does to some degree. That shouldn't stop you from dating someone. Give it a go. Since the only reason you are skeptical about dating him is because of your differences, then you both may find that it'd be better to stay friends if you did try things out. #easybreakup

See how things go. You never know what could happen.

What Guys Said 7

• Yeah they take you out your comfort zone and get you to do things you normally won't do and then you might enjoy it. I'm a home body and likes to plan things, my wife is more spontaneous and likes going out.

• Unless you date yourself (Like most of us on here) everyone is going to be different than you. But take it from Paula https://youtu.be/xweiQukBM_k

• give fate a chance

• if one smokes weed and the other doesn't there's gonna be issues..

• more so the type that are high all teh time that it's their normal state.

not weekend smokers.

• I smoke every night before bed. I'm sober all day long and I don't get stupid or party animal when I smoke it. It just relaxes me and helps me sleep.

• u should be fine then.

=)

• Take a chance coz you never know how perfect something can turn out
    -wiz khalifa

• don't ever avoid any date, go get experience

• I'd give him a chance. My girlfriend and I are very different in a lot of ways, but it just adds to the fun. Who knows maybe you can pick up each others' hobbies.

What Girls Said 6

• Everyone is different. Some people do good with a opposite partner, others don't. I personally prefer someone similar. My boyfriend and me are pretty much personality twins for most things and I prefer it that way but it doesn't mean one is better than the other. There's no right or wrong. As long as you two get along and can make it work then it's all good :)

• Yes i would.

• It probably won't last long but will be exciting. The troubling thing is one will want to change the other

• yes, as long as he is nice with me I don't care

• give it a chance. opposites attract :P you remember?

• Give him a chance but only if you like him too. He smokes ciggerettes so he still smokes, maybe you are finding excuses not to date him. My ex smoked weed & I don't, it was never an issue until 12 years later when we had a baby & he gave up smoking weed as didn't want that around the baby.