Is meeting an online boyfriend more dangerous than having a one night stand?

We have been talking for a year. He sent me a surprise gift for Christmas and has been nothing but great. We have skyped and he seems just as happy and normal on there as he does on messages. He is close with his mom and has two little sisters which I have seen pics of. He has told his friends about me and he also has a bunch of female friends (again seen picture proof of that). I once told him about how a guy threatened to kill me at a bar and he was very protective and worried. When he's drunk his messages just get even more lovey dovey. People tell me how this is so dangerous to have him come at my place but is it really any riskier than leaving with a guy you just met in a bar?

Most Helpful Guy

• there's not much difference between going on a date with someone you met online and going on a date with someone that just randomly approached you... Hell there isn't even a huge difference in dating someone through "acquaintances"...

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say they're both pretty dangerous however if you've video chatted and such then I think it's less dangerous. You've been talking for a while, it's not like you've just talked for a week and decided this.

What Guys Said 6

• Leaving with a guy you meet in a bar as well as meeting up someone from an online area are more or less the same.

Even after knowing someone in person one can't be sure. Best to take precautions and meet up at public places etc rather than at home

• Both are acquaintances, you don't know them really well. (the pictures can be completely fake)

Anyhow, insist on condom use in each case. (and keep Plan B ready)

• Start by meeting him in public places. Once you feel you can trust him, then you can think about greeting him home.

• Sounds fine to me. Hell you even have Skype now days. I didn't have that shit back when I was real into meeting girls online. Hell, I remember having to scan pictures ahaha. And girls weren't scared to meet me back then. You are fine. Best thing you could do is meet him outside of the house if you are that worried. But if you just want some sex, then well go for it.

• I don't see how its really any different then going out with someone you met in a bar or random on the street. The weird thing here is you guys have been talking a year and appear to get on well but haven't met

• That's because of me. Wanted to lose weight first.

• No, not at all. But of course you have to be careful, because a real meeting is quite different to a virtual one. So let it go slowly, and test the personal attraction and behavior.

What Girls Said 9

• No it's not any riskier than having a one night stand with a stranger.

Just make sure you meet him in a public place FIRST. That way if you get creepy vibes he isn't at your house and you can leave easily.

Also, I assume by skyped you mean video chatted? If not, you should do that first.

There's a very good chance that you have nothing to worry about, if you've been talking for a year and there hasn't been anything shady or suspicious going on.

I met my significant other online after knowing him for a week. We talked on the phone and didn't even video cam before I went over to his house for a weekend. Now THAT was taking a risk. I got lucky he wasn't a creeper. I did not do it the right way at all. We talked on the phone literally all the time (as often as we could, which was at least 8 hours a day) and texted the time we couldn't actually talk (so talked the entire day pretty much lol) and exchanged hundreds of photos. I had no question he wasn't fake. But, if you doubt it, don't do it!

Do it the right way so that nothing happens to you. Meet up in a public place. Let friends/family know where you are beforehand.

• I wouldn't bring a stranger into my home on any occasion. I will always arrange to meet up in a public place. Also a year is a long time to be talking to someone online, you to tend to build up certain expectations and then when you meet up your disappointed. I told myself I would lose weight before getting into dating again, it so happens that I met someone online. Within a few weeks we met up and I forgot about the weight thing. He's touched my stomach which I hate and I stopped feeling uncomfortable about it. It didn't bother him in the slightest, so it goes to show that your flaws might be seen like that by someone that is interested in you.

What happens when you put on weight after meeting him? Are you going to go into hiding again? Any guy that doesn't sick around because you don't fit the bill isn't a guy worth keeping around anyway. You need to embrace whatever you have for the time being and work on making improvements. No one will knock you for making changes and he will probably support your decision to do so if it makes you happy.

• I think it's mostly weird when it's just an online thing. After a year, you'd think you would have seen each other by now so I would just wonder what he is hiding.

I've met people through online dating site but I would always meet them pretty quickly in real life. The problem with Internet is that it's easy to lie. Face to face makes it a lot harder. Also, there is all the way a person move, act, her attitude that makes it al a little too fake.

• He lives in another country and I wanted to lose weight before I meet him. And I have but I'd like to lose more. He's supportive and has been saying that he wants to come but only if I am fine with it.

• If you have skyped and known him for a while, it might not be so dangerous.

However, anything may lead into anything, so probably decision is yours.

• Whatever rocks your boat, but to me, you can't call someone your boy friend if you've never met them IRL. So there's no such a thing as an "online boy friend". So then that makes it more dangerous than a one night stand for me because you're more invested emotionally.

• It is dangerous to invite him to your place straight away, you should first meet somewhere in public. Its not more dangerous than a ons but the dangers are different. First Skype, make sure he is who he says he is, then meet somewhere safe and then meet in private.

• Obviously gonna meet him in public first :) gonna go meet him at the airport

• Many people seem very normal online despite pictures and Skype. It's very dangerous. You shouldn't let the chance to meet him before judging pass by though. Meet him in a public place and don't go anywhere alone with him on the first few meetings.

• That's impossible since we live in different countries.

• I would also like to add that I don't live in the USA where everything is probably slightly riskier. Me and him are from small quiet european countries. Not that every person is peaceful here but you get the point :)

• Oh I understand. Tbh I'm kinda in like a similar situation :/ Yes even if you're from quiet countries, it's better that if you meet, it's publicly and he doesn't stay at your place at first.

• If you're sure he's not a fluke then go ahead it's safe (make sure first though)

• Neither is "dangerous"... a male is as likely to get breast cancer as you are of being sexually attacked. (1 in 1000)
    The fear mongering is a product of the anti-male groups which push the false idea that men are monsters.
    The "rape culture" bullshit needs to be stopped because it isn't real.

• Well he can't even rape the willing. As long as he's not a killer I'm good :)