Any ideas what to put when texting a guy first?

I've been messaging this guy for a couple of weeks and we generally take it in turns to message each other first, although it has been him the last couple of times. So tonight I feel like I want to message him first, but I'm not sure what to put, like I want to be interesting and not go with the genetic 'hey, what's up?', 'what you up to?', 'hey, how's your day been?' or 'hey, you good?' Please can I have some suggestions, I would really appreciate it! Thanks

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• How bout a follow up to a previous conversation? Assuming you've had some meaningful previous conversations.

What Guys Said 2

• hi how are you

• A simple hi is fine.

What Girls Said 2

• Ask him what the highlight of his day was. :) It's more specific and shows you're actually interested in things he does/did when he wasn't with you.

• What's wrong with, "Hey, how's your day going?" It does enough to get a conversation started. Unless you can text him an inside joke or link to something you think he might find funny.