Would you date a Vegan?

I like to have chicken in my salads, but vegans think that is harming animals, even though they're the ones harming innocent plants which upsets hippies and environmentalists.

I don't know what's so wrong with food preference, but I'd consider dating a cannibal as long as they didn't harm me.

• Yes, I'd date a vegan.
  • Yes + I have no problem with someone's food preference because I am a sane individual.
  • No
  • No + I have a problem with someone's food preference because I am a moody and irrational biznitch
  • Gir likes tacos
I wouldn't date a vegan because they wouldn't like my meat in their mouth ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• probably not, because 98% of them are misinformed pretentious dickholes.

• I keep seeing people make statements like this. How many vegans do you personally know? Because as I keep telling other people, I know plenty and have never encountered this sort of shit, so maybe people's views of vegans aren't as accurate as they seem to think.

• @cipher42 enough on enough platforms to know it's a bad idea. i know 2. 1 i a retard (not because she's a vegan, but because she's just a stupid person) and 1 that's a dick (regardless of whether or not he's vegan). anyways, it's not some sort of secret. i didn't say 100%. there are always exceptions, but most of them are pretty pretentious dickheads.

What Girls Said 28

• look ill date a vegan if he isn't making a big deal out of everything i eat. if he can respect that I'm okay with eating animals, then we're good.

• No I wouldn't. I don't need their nonsense "better eating" lifestyle around my life.

• mho.

love this comment lol

• It's not about better eating for plenty of them, but rather about politics and objecting to the mistreatment of the animals we get our food + other products from, which is actually a very real issue. It's unreasonable to expect everyone to conform to that, but if they personally have political/ethical objections to certain things within the food industry, what's so bad about that?

• If you don't know that plants don't have central nervous systems then your first step is to 1) open a science book or 2) use your computer to read some science. Or maybe I'm just really bad at reading your sarcasm, the world may never know.

Also, to all the people with rather generalized reasons as to not date a vegan. Disclaimer: I'm not vegan, but I've thought about it.
    1) Not all vegans/vegetarians want to convert you.
    2) We don't all faint at the sight of meat. To think that we all do is rather... stupid.
    3) Most vegans/vegetarians I know are fantastic cooks, so they don't need you to break your little back cooking for them.
    4) We don't all force our partners to eat our meals. I've cooked meat for my boyfriend on special occasions. It's not all tofu and carrots.

• I'm a vegetarian and I used to be a vegan. I definitely would. It's a matter of values, not to mention, I'm turned on by people who have the intellectual capacity to think about how things get to their dinner plate. People who think about how and why something happened, and take an interest in learning about those things, and combine that curiosity with values of compassion and kindness - all of this is incredibly attractive to me. And of course, I can relate to it, so it makes sense. :)

• Vegetarian, yes (depending on the circumstances). Vegan, no. I can handle my boyfriend not eating meat. I like to cook for him and without meat is still eatable and you can still find restaurants to eat together, but a vegan is just so much trouble. Plus, every vegan I met was super annoying and trying to convince me of his non-proven bullshit facts about food.
    However, in the vegetarian case, if he's gonna slap his beliefs into my face and if he doesn't want to kiss me after I ate meat then we'll have a problem.

• I wouldn't want one as a friend, boyfriend, or family member (unfortunately it's too late with that family member one though since maybe like 1-2 months ago I found out my dad turned into an ostro vegan or w/e) because they're all annoying little shits, and bitch and complain about what's on everyone else's plate. Instead of worrying about what others are eating they should just focus on what's on their plate and not bother everyone else. I haven't met a vegan I liked and I a doubt I'd meet one any time in the future. I'll be friends with a vegetarian. Heck, I'm friends with four. But a vegan? No, they can kiss my ass.

• Sure, as long as we could both accept each other's dietary requirements and not try to force the other into changing.

• No.

Too much of a hassle. I love meat and my kitchen always has something meaty cooking. I imagine it would bother them and they'd want me not to cook meat around them or not at all.

I also enjoy cooking for my boyfriend, so having to make two separate meals would simply be a pain.

Also, if they ended up being a preachy vegan, we would definitely be a problem.

• I wouldn't because it'd make meal planning a real pain in the ass and I like to eat together with my partner. I would date a vegetarian though as long as they don't mind me eating meat. I can handle eating vegetarian meals regularly and I could always add meat to mine if I wanted to.

• Total respect to wanting to eat together w/yr partner, I know that's an important thing to lots of people.

But, this is something I genuinely wonder about, and haven't really gotten a good answer to.
      How does "I want to eat with my partner" translate to "I want to eat the same foods my partner eats"?

That connection isn't obvious to me at all. In fact, for heterosexual couples the "obvious" preference, to me at least, seems to be eating different foods, even if y'all eat together.

I mean, I am probably approaching this from an extreme standpoint, because I'm a professional fitness competitor, and my husband's a former stage performer who still eats to maintain his old physique. If either of us ate what the other ate, we'd lose what we got, and fast. LOL

But, even if yr not as extreme as us, men and women have way different bodies with different needs. Why the default assumption of eating all the same foods all the time?

• @redeyemindtricks

We only eat supper together.

I usually take a portion left from that meal to work with me for my meal at 5 am.
      (Today: lasagna soup w/garlic bread)

I eat heavy before I go to work.
      I eat late in my shift so I'm not hungry for breakfast before my morning bedtime.

My wife does not eat until she gets to work, as food upsets her stomach until she has been up for a couple of hours. She then grazes all day at work.

I will eat breakfast foods (or whatever else I may want) when I wake up in the afternoon. This is my light meal of the day. Get something inside me but don't spoil supper.

We are already doing our own thing for two out of three meals. Throwing supper into chaos is not something anyone wants to do.

This schedule in practice applies 7 days a week. She has a normal Saturday Sunday weekend.
      My days off are Thursday and Friday.
      Even though I switch to night sleeping on my days off, I still eat every meal except supper by myself.

• @gray_sailor Cool.

Right now we have it worked out so that we have Friday evening, Sat afternoon, Sat evening and Sunday evening all together + awake. These will soon enough be 3-kid sports weekends, so, better to coordinate sooner rather than later, right? Lol

I mean, on a micro level it's still not really coordinated. E. g., Saturday afternoon is the beginning of a ≈50hr day for me, the mid-late part of a ≈35hr day for him, and, well, a normal Saturday afternoon for the kids.
      But, we made all those weekend times work out. That's an accomplishment. LOL

• Sure, I don't think a food preference is a deal breaker for me in most cases. However if someone is pushing their beliefs on me, that is a turn off. They can do what they want, and I'll do what I want. I have to eat what I eat, but I would never push that on to someone else. I can't stand pushy people.

• 0|0
  • I have no problem dating a vegan so long as they're not a preachy vegan. I have a lot of food limitations too (yay, food allergies!) but I don't want to be shown photos of slaughterhouses until I'm forced to either vomit or never eat again.

• Um, why not?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're dating a vegan, wouldn't the only restaurants you could go to together be vegan restaurants? If you were to go to a regular restaurant for a change, I imagine the vegan person sitting there with a salad starter and bread while the other person can eat whatever they want. Maybe lots of vegans are okay with that, though.

Haha.

:\

• Yea sure why not

• i wanna be vegan tbh

• No, I would not date a vegan, most are arrogant and will try to force their diet on you

• I would rather not. It would suck if my husband wouldn't the meals I cook.

• No I am not learning how to cook vegan meals plus they're super annoying

• If they don't make comments or try to persuade me into eating plants only, sure.

I have to have chicken at least once a week.

• As long as they don't try to make me vegan, I would date them. But they need to deal when I need a steak.

• Tbh I wouldn't. I meant i could give it a try but doubt it will last more than couple of months

• Yes, as long as they didn't push their way on to me. I know some vegans and they are nice, they don't care what others do. That's the way it should be.

• Why not? What they choose to eat has no effect on what I'm GOING to eat, so no worries.

• Yeah, I don't have an issue with that.

• Yeah. My boyfriend is a vegetarian and I don't really care. I'd date a vegan too

• I don't mind dating a vegan. I don't have any problem with someone who chooses not to eat meat.

• I would date a vegan, as long as they don't criticize my food choices.

• I don't know how to cook vegan

What Guys Said 38

• It all sounds so wonderful to tell others how beautifully open-minded you are, and it's so easy if you've never done it. It's like asking people how they feel about abortion when they have never had an unwanted pregnancy. Let a death penalty opponent have his wife kidnapped, tortured, raped, and murdered, and then you'll find out how he REALLY feels about the death penalty. Same thing with dating someone with significant dietary limitations.

I am currently dating a woman who is not vegan but she is a very picky eater: no red meat, no fried foods, no creamy-textured foods (no gravy, no pudding, no creamed vegetable, etc.), no artificial sweeteners, no turkey, only occasional chicken, some pork. Multi-grain bread but no white bread. She likes chocolate but it must be dark chocolate and not too sweet.

I don't care what she eats. She expresses some concern about my diet and I listen to her and do respond to some suggestions. However. . .

If we want to go out to dinner, the choice in restaurants is very limited. If it is just the two of us, we can always find something where we are both happy (though this sometimes require that I compromise on my definition of happiness.) If we want to meet my parents for dinner, things start to get complicated. If someone invites us to their home for dinner, I must go into the litany of things that she doesn't eat and it is embarrassing to describe someone who eats like a fussy, spoiled child. This is a never ending problem and it is more than a trifling annoyance.

If I had a choice of dating someone with such dietary restrictions or someone who eats a normal diet, I would always choose the one who eats a normal diet. Why add an unnecessary complication into a dating relationship?

However, I am head-over-heels in love with her and I will gladly endure these problems to have her in my life.

• It seems to me that this sort of thing can only go badly.

In my experience, vegetarians are concerned with what they put into their own bodies. I knew a guy who cut out all red meat and limited himself to lean chicken and fish. He told me he could easily go vegetarian as it agreed with his digestive system.

Vegans, on the other hand are concerned with the welfare of the animal whose flesh I choose to consume. This is not a food issue so much as it is a political issue. Even if we agreed to eat at a vegan restaurant, I'm still showing up on that date wearing a leather belt and leather boots. I'll be paying for the meal with a debit card held in a leather wallet too. I've never met a vegan who would not criticize the non vegan behaviors of others.

It is similar to how those of an orthodox religious practice are probably not well suited to pairing up with atheists either. If you need your partner to share your practices and beliefs, best to not date those who don't already agree.

• How many vegans have you met? Because I live with two vegans and know several more, and none of them have ever objected to my or other people's eating habits. Maybe its a matter of geographical location? Or just coincidence? But in my experience those super-preachy vegans are a rarity, not a standard reality.

• Ye, fair enough. Eh, who knows. There's way the hell to many variables do figure out any kinda conclusive reason why stuff like this might vary.

• @cipher42

Yup, if we had all the answers, we wouldn't need GaG.
      The discussion continues...

Have a good day.☺

• I wouldn't mind dating a vegan, but I would mind if they kept trying force me to be a vegan.
    For example, if I wanted to eat a thing of bacon and they judged me, showed me a picture of a pig, said "look how cute it is," and then finished it off with something along the lines of "you're a murderer..." we'd have a problem.

However, if they were a vegan and respected my wishes, it'd be alright. I can get over the fact it would be tough to find food we could both eat. Heck, if I change in time and start eating less meat and more veggies, that wouldn't bother me either. I just don't want to be *forced* to change.

• I'm a meat lover and I dated a vegan once, almost married her. And it was hard to find things to eat that we liked together.

I have a little dirty confession though: she had the nicest-smelling vag I ever encountered. She could sit on my face and it was like flowers to me. I'm slightly kind of off-put by that usually, scent/odor-wise, with women, but she had no scent, no odor. All I could smell was her Gucci Rush perfume from her shoulders, even with her ass right next to my nose.

For that, I had no problem with the fact that we often had to eat at home and be very careful about what we ate. She also didn't mind when I ate a meat dish, she just wouldn't eat it herself.

• I don't know if all vegans are like this, or if it was just a coincidence. I've never managed to date other vegans to find out.

• Vegans drive men nuts, it's never going to happen not only do I love to fish but I like to hunt as well and I am a stalwart believer in eating everything natural in this world because we humans were created to consume animals and plats/fruits/grains etc. And I don't feel like listening to the vegi crusade 24/7 or them trying to change my life style, because that's never gonna happen.

And no offense to any decent vegans out there but all the ones I've met have been crazy, rude and thought they were above everyone else because they ate leafs and though they were "saving" the world.

• Yeah sure, i can make animal noises as i eat.

• I am a vegetarian because I hate plants. What does that have to do with animals?

• I wouldn't even want a vegan as a friend. They are pricks who can't shut up about the fact they're vegans and THEY don't hurt animals.

• ... how many vegans have you actually known? Because I live with two and know several more and have never encountered the kind of issues you're talking about. But who knows, maybe it's just coincidence or some shit.

• @cipher42 I have met enough to know. You are only 18, you will meet many more people in your life...

• Well, I have some food intolerances, but at the same time I'm *very* open to all kinds of foods. So yeah, this wouldn't be a problem for me at all.

I can keep eating meat for like 4-5 meals a month, and eat vegan the rest of the time. She just has to not cook soy or gluten things for us to share and I'm set.

• I'd happily date a vegan as I'm vegan myself. I understand how people find it offensively annoying but personally I keep it to myself and get on with life. I'm not all about the health benefits, I only do it for the animals and the planet.

• I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as she doesn't try to "convert" me or object to me not being vegan, but it could be a problem long term - difficult to share meals, so how could we live together?

• As long as they don't try to shove veganism down my throat, why not? I'd probably even try their food. Who knows, I might even like some of it. Wouldn't stop eating meat though unless they can replace it with something that tastes equally as good or better.
    "But veggie burgers taste just like regular burgers!" No... no they don't.

• Sure, I'm a vegetarian, and I don't have any problem with vegans.

• sure as long as they didn't have to tell me about it every 5 minutes : )

www.quickmeme.com/.../...79c35a4d97c7aa7de5e49.jpg

• as long as they are not putting me down for eating meat or trying to convert me to vegan i wouldn't have a problem with it

• Probably not. Every vegan I have ever met was very vocal about their views. While I respect their views they are not shared by me. So it gets old in a hurry. If they didn't harp on me or preach then sure I could date.

• Ermmm, it would be difficult. I would really have to love the individual I was dating. Veggie yeh but vegans are taking it to the extreme. And where I live your choice of diet would be very limited as a vegan.

• Yes... but that's because I am a vegan lol.

• Yeah I'd even date a cannibal see how open minded I am?

• BIG DIFFERENCE.

Plants do not have the ability to think, be truly conscious of what is happening to them and they DO NOT have emotions.

• Well actually they do so yeah take that m8

• I think he's referring to
      "I like to have chicken in my salads"
      as a justification for killing animals.

For chicken in salad to occur, chicken (s) must be killed. And the reason for doing that? Not only to have chicken in salad, but because you *like* to have chicken in salad.

& finally I think he's saying your justification for bringing a live chicken at point A to being a dead chicken in your salad at point B is because you like it.

• @TheBag Well fuck 'em :D

• I don't have any problem in dating hypocrites

• It not easy I bought a food for us to share but turn out she could eat it because it had powdered sugar ( not vegan) they use bones to filter suger. I almost cried😑😢😢

• Tried it. Regretted it.

• A little bothered, because they have a way of either forcing to stop eating plants, or making you feel guilty

• look we are allowed too eat animals and plants
    GOD said so after the flood so that's what I will do
    AND I WILL ENJOY IT

• our first date would be to a slaughterhouse

• Yes I have, it wasn't hard to make it work

• No, I would eat one though. Mmmm... Long pork.

• Yes, as long as they don't try to force their diet on me

• Do vegans have twitter beef?

• More from Guys
    8