My boyfriend is angry and swears a lot. Is this abusive?

We usually get on really well. I feel like we understand each other. At the beginning of our relationship he used to swear only occasionally and when the situation really warranted it. Now whenever we are arguing, I try my best to stay composed, rational and refrain myself from saying something hurtful. He on the other hand, starts yelling and screaming and often reduces me to tears and render me speechless. He is an engineer and I am a hairstylist so he thinks my opinion doesn't matter and he is the only smart person in the house.

I am actually 19 and accidently put the wrong age

Most Helpful Guy

• I was never this bad, but I had a bit of a temper problem when I was younger and would often distance myself when confronted in relationships.

The way I broke out of it was to see relationships as boxing, funnily enough. The intuitive move when an opponent throws a punch is to step back, but that's how you lose your footing, get backed into a corner, and bad things happen. We usually want to do that when we're confronted in a relationship, distance ourselves. It took me a while but I started being able to resist that temptation, to do the opposite, side step and move forward, to hug and gently figure out what's wrong.

Maybe you can try to explain this to him. When he's caught up in those moments, he needs to slow down, breathe, and do exactly the opposite of what he thinks he should do. If he can get the hang of that, you two will be able to keep a gentle relationship with constant communication and a lot of trust in each other.

He might just be an abusive jerk, beyond hope, but this can help.

What Guys Said 5

• he's an engineer, you're a hair stylist, you two live in your own house.

did you enter an incorrect age while making your account?

• Look up narcissistic personality disorder. If thats him 70percent of the time you need to go. If not he may be stressed out from his work load that he needs to blow off somewhere else.

• Men are always right, your a dumb ass blonde no doubt, if you were intelligent enough you would be a doctor lol just shut your fucking mouth you moaning cow

• wow some people really don't have a life

• Right... you stay composed and rational while he's a raging lunatic screaming who says your opinion doesn't matter. This sounds so biased. cmon man

• Im not surprised the shit we have to put up with from women.

Your Question has been removed for being too antagonistic.

Question Title: Why are so many women on this forum such whiny bitches?

Question Details: Like complaining because men want equality and to be treated with respect. So many posts about men whining and posts insulting men who dump them or girls who nick their boyfriends. And complaints about sexism, there lot need to man up.

We strive to keep GirlsAskGuys a helpful and caring community for all. Please be more considerate with your future posts. Thank you for understanding!

What Girls Said 2

• two people in a relationship are equals

• Abusive? Maybe, we'd need to know more details. But it definitely isn't healthy.