Dating someone who only has a small group of friends, is that an issue?

I'm 25 and dating a girl, we've been going out for 3 months now and one thing that makes me afraid she'll get bored is I don't have that many friends. We always hang out with the same 4 people form my side, not granted we only really hang out with her brother and cousins. Is a persons social life or lack there of an issue? Is it important?

• Important
  • Not important

Most Helpful Girl

• Nothing wrong with having a small group of friends. in my opinion it's not important to judge someone based on the number of friends.

I'm an introvert, so I find having a large number of friends to be anxiety inducing. I do my best to keep up with those who I am friends with, and also acquaintances. But being busy wears me out and sometimes I just need to have some time to myself.

I feel bad for not being able to give more of myself to my friends. But I have to also take care of myself. I would hope that friends would understand and not forget about me. It's not that I don't like hanging out with them, it's more I need to recharge after social situations.

Hopefully your girlfriend understands your situation. And I'm sure the friends you do have are very important to you. To keep her from getting bored, just make sure you do a variety of things. Try new things and don't be afraid to at least try something.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is something I'm legitimately worried about IF I ever get a girlfriend. Heck, I'd actually be willing to trade places with you - your pool of friends is small but 4 is like an army for me. I don't have any at all so I dunno what the hell to do when the issue will be brought up.
    If I were you, I'd cherish the friends you have and be proud that you have them. Any number bigger than zero is better than zero.

What Girls Said 11

• If a guy had absolutely no friends I'd see that as a red flag. But a small group is no problem. That's actually what I feel most comfortable with.

• It's more of a problem when your partner has no social circle of their own because it puts a lot of pressure on you to always be available to do things as they have no other plans or options. You have a social circle.

I believe it's healthy for couples to spend time apart and maintaining the relationships outside of their romantic one.

• Exactly what my homegirl 9mfeo said - it's not a problem as long as you have *A* friend/friends, and thus will not put all of your eggs in your s. o.'s basket. So, you are just fine, @asker ! Don't worry. ☺

• Not really. My friendship circle basically consists of my partner, his brother, our best friend and her sister, and one other friend. I have two or three people I speak to in class. That's pretty much it. He has maybe six or so friends from his lectures that we talk to sometimes, those are all of his friends outside of our small group that goes back for years. Having few friends hasn't proved an issue for either of us.

• Honestly, I'd be more comfortable getting close with someone who has a small, close knit group of friends over someone who's got dozens of 'friends' they're constantly trying to keep up with.

• nah but encourage her to make friends. Sign her up to do thing and join activity. I bet she wishes for friends.

• Shouldn't be a problem. My husband doesn't have a lot of friends, neither do I. I only consider 3 people my friend. I'm very friendly I know and get a long with a lot of people but I'm only close with a few people.

• How is that bad? I think you should be most worried about is when you are in her face 24/7 and don't have a life yourself.

• I don't really care. I meant well kind of. I dated someone who has 0 friends, it was okay at first but with time it got really awkward like he's really socially awkward

• Nah, I care more about the quality of his friends rather than the quantity.

• No, that's not really an issue for me.

• If there's only a smaller group of friends then it means that you're closer to them and the group is more tight knit

What Guys Said 6

• That just means she chooses her friends wisely and doesn't just want friends, to simple have friends. I have like 3 friends and I don't even talk to them that much anymore, I work with one, but I don't see them much other than that. It doesn't bother me, and it shouldn't bother you

• This is actually an important things for most high value girls. At least with the twenties single crowd of women that tend to go down town in packs every Saturday and Friday night. Most of them will automatically assume you are a creep, convict, or something else if you only have like one bro and a few mutual acquaintances.

• Once you get older and get into a career you'll notice that most of your social circle will disappear. Your social circle will develop into being mostly friends from work and family. And you have a career you just not going to have time for a lot of friends

• The less the better.. more friends is just more partying and usually a bad influence on a relationship.

• Meh, as you get older, you realize quality is more important than quantity. I have tons of aquaintences but a few best friends that I hang out with on a regular basis. Nothing wrong with aquaintences but realize that they are just that.

• Why would that be important? In my eyes, that's preferable. Friends don't make a person interesting or not. In fact, a lot of the time they make someone less interesting -- at least to me. Just be interesting and be yourself.