He told me he's in love with me. How do I handle this delicate situation?

Background info:

- Went to the same school together since I was in the 7th grade & he was in the 6th. Both of us transferred to the same private school. I saw him around school at our old one, but didn't start talking to him until last year when we were put on the same bus.

- I only started like him about a month ago. He's liked me since the day we met (his words). He asked me out yesterday. I'm not sure if I can handle a relationship. I didn't say yes, but did tell him I wanted to hang out w/him, but as friends for the moment.

After asking me out & hearing my response, we talked for a while & out of the blue he tells me "I'm going to come out and say it, but [insert my name] I think I'm in love with you."

I really like him, but I also really like being single. He knows I really like him, but I don't think he fully knows or understands how much I'm not good girlfriend material right now. I wanted to say yes so badly, but I just don't want to hurt him. He's so sweet to me too.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

He's 17 (junior) and I'm 18 (senior).

Most Helpful Guy

• Love is about taking a leap of faith. Just do it

Most Helpful Girl

• Been there, done that, have pics to prove it :D

I was happy when I was single. I am an independent and my own person. So once I get into a relationship, it was a very different experience (especially after a very bad breakup and I had sworn off relationships and lasted 4 glorious-no-boyfriend-years). I messed up a lot, you see I really was not mentally into relationships.

We fought, cried and went to the verge of breakup. But every time we would find our way back to each other. And now after three years (fingers crossed), we are very together and I am so happy.

You know it's sometimes okay to sit back let someone else take care of you. It won't come easy and you might feel tied and suffocated but it's all in your head. Give yourself some time to settle in this new feeling. Let it sink in.

And if you see that this relationship is going nowhere, cut him loose. There's no point in dragging skeletons of something that was never there in first place.
    Hope this helps :)

What Guys Said 1

• Then you don't really like him, and just tell him that because if you really like a guy you would be a "good girlfriend".

What Girls Said 2

• AWW... u have to make a choices. Do you want change or do you want to stay the same?

• Well, he already knows that I have issues with my father which causes me to have a different outlook on relationships yet he still wants to date me. I'm a total commitmentphobe though. I start liking someone, but then once things become real and I get what I "wanted," I think back away and grow distant. I don't want to do that with him.

Yesterday he messaged me "I can't stop thinking about you" and then sent another message saying "You make me so happy." I don't know how to respond to that stuff because I don't want to give him the impression of a relationship without a title sort of thing. I don't want to miss out on this opportunity, but I also don't want to mess it up by diving in too quickly. I don't want him to think I don't care, but I don't know how to make it clear that a relationship isn't exactly in the picture right now without hurting him.

• ouch that sounds tough! I don't know what to say. I mean you could get thearpy and try to explain it to him that your mind isn't on str8. You need to work on yourself. If he wants he can wait but your not sure how you will feel about it later.

• Just tell him you need time and don't want a relationship right now. I've been in the same situation before and to be honest, hurting him by telling the truth is way better than hurting him by leading him on.