If you find yourself single and you want to meet a member of the opposite sex, will you use online dating websites?

I recently posted a question with a poll asking where users found their current or most recent significant other. Almost 75% of the respondents said that they met their significant other in one of three ways: they met in school, they had been friends for several years, or they met online.

If you are out of school, you have probably exhausted the potential pool of candidates from your school days, There probably aren't too many people who you have already known for a long time who are realistic possibilities. That means that the best source of a partner for a lomg term relationship is online social media and dating web sites.

Do you think there is a stigma to young people using dating websites to find partners?

Most Helpful Girl

• Eh... here is my issue with online dating: it feels... unnatural.

I have met guys online but it was always on a platform that wasn't specifically made for dating, so it was as though any interest was allowed to form on its own, there was no searching for it, trying to force it to happen.

With online dating I almost feel as though its very literally people shopping: you're looking for an attractive person with a list of traits that may suit you rather than going into it naturally. It seems like two people only meeting because they don't want to be alone, not because they fell for each other.

I'm sure that this isn't always the case and that it could work for a lot of people, but I am severely hesitant about even considering it for those reasons.

• I think "natural" is over-rated. You are right, it is a conscious selection process. I am shopping for a woman who meets certain criteria and I don't want to waste my time on those who don't meet certain minimum standards. I will not date a smoker. If a woman is trying to make a good impression, she may avoid smoking around me for the first 2-3 dates. If she is honest in her profile and she reveals that she is a smoker, I don't need to waste any time on her.

Finding a mate without being conscious or deliberate might feel more natural but I look around and see the results of people simply "falling into" relationships are that doesn't look like a more attractive option.

• As you get older, you develop a better sense of who you are and what it take to make you happy. Maybe that is why internet dating works well for me.

• That could very well be it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have used them before, don't particularly like them, but I would still consider using them again, not because I think they are any better than meeting people in a bar, but it's simply another pond to cast your rod into looking for that proverbial fish.

Only dating is a numbers game that is heavily stacked against men, especially if you aren't making a 6 figure salary and or look like brad pitt. The reality is there are about 4 men for every 1 women on an online dating site. The reasons for this are obvious. It really just boils down to our dating dynamics. Furthermore, of the women active on online dating sites, the vast majority of them are below average attractiveness. Again, pretty obvious as to why, and the same reason as before. It's just the result of our cultures dating norms.

Now let's put these numbers into more perspective. Let's say a dating side has 40men and 10women (4:1 ratio). Now of those 10 women let's say only 4 of them would be considered above average in attractiveness. This means that each woman theoretically has 10men each emailing them. Which effectively means only the top 10% of those 40 men will ever see a relationship with one of these women, while 40% of the women found a relationship. If you want proof, just find any relatively attractive woman who has or currently is using an online dating site. I guarantee this woman is receiving upwards of 100 emails a week.

If you're a girl, online dating is a god send. It's like walking into an all you can eat hot dog buffet. For men, it's vultures pecking at the one dead rotting corpse that no other animal wanted. Online dating, for men, is not like how it's advertised, but it's still just another avenue for meeting people.

As for the stigma to young people, I'm not really sure these days. A few years ago I would have definitely said their was a stigma, but that was before the days of tinder. I know even as a user I held that stigma. This idea that people who used online dating were the rejects of society who couldn't get a bf/gf on their own and organically. Whatever the case, it's not enough to deter me in and of itself. At least not at my age, when the clock is starting to tick just a little bit faster.

• I appreciate the post.

1. Obviously, you are a fan of hot dogs. Me, too!

2. My experience is a bit different than yours but that may be a factor of our age difference. Yes, there are some unattractive women online, but you only need to find one who is interested in you. When you go fishing, you don't give up if you don't get a bite on your first cast. You keep fishing. Your post shows that you understand that.

Just as in bars, there are a wide variety of women online. Some of them are very materialistic and they are looking for either handsome beef or a cash cornucopia. But some women are not that shallow. The woman I am dating now is not bothered by the fact that my car is 11 years old and has some rust spots in the finish. She has not demanded a trip to Europe, etc.

• I look at it this way. Suppose you walked into a bar and there were 99 women who were either unattractive or just looking for a cash cow but there was one woman who was attractive, not materialistic, sincere, and she feel head over heels for you and you two became a long term couple. That would be the most successful fishing trip of your entire life.

What Girls Said 5

• I've used them in the past without much luck. I just see it as another way to meet potentials. Nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high about it actually panning out. I just figured there was no point in ruling the medium out completely.

• Yeah, sure. There's hardly a stigma attached to online dating anymore. Most people at my school use Tinder (which has more of a hook up reputation), and I've heard a bunch of stories from friends about their online dating experiences.

• If thats my only option than I guess. ):

• I have used craigslist before but, I switched to facebook, then I found my now s. o.

• No, I wouldn't

What Guys Said 7

• I'm not really keen on online dating. I haven't used one, but I keep hearing about how only the choicest of men get responses on dating sites, due to the presence of a lot more men than women on such sites. And I won't qualify under 'choicest' under any circumstances.

If it's a free site, I may give it a shot at some point if I have run out of options

• I have and will continue to use dating sites when I am ready to pursue another relationship. Don't understand why younger people use them though..

• You summed it up for older people. We have online dating, workplace, and maybe a gym to find potential partners. That's it.

• Yeah a gym, I have one next to me, but never thought of actually going to it. It costs money... always a reason lol.

• online dating is not for me , maybe casual hookups but for something meaningful and real i prefer face to face

• I will use, but fail miserable and find them pointless.

• I'd rather meet you in person but im too shy in person and what would i do just walk up to a girl and say " hey i think you are pretty can i have your number? " so i pretty much use it all online.

• I'd rather not... simply coz dating online's for introverts... I'm not an introvert and I'd like to keep it dat way...

• Maybe online dating is a way for introverted girls to meet guys. Whether you are introverted or extroverted, there are many nice girls who are introverted. But, if you have other avenues of meeting girls and don't need to do online dating, I understand.