How can I make things less awkward with my boyfriend?

Basically me and this guy have been together for almost a year. Things were amazing at first, no awkwardness no anything. There was so much passion and comfort.. But then our uni started (we both go to different unis in different cities) and we just kind of started to drift apart because of how busy we both are with work (he's an engineer and I'm a medical student). Everyday we'd become less and less affectionate and things just started to get awkward. We barely went out and barely talked online. Now, we're at the point where we still want each other but its just too awkward to talk like lovers again. We both realized this problem and want to fix it but we just feel awkward. I don't really know what to do.. He's a naturally awkward person himself so I feel like I can't wait around and expect him to sort of, break the ice, I guess. I want to do it but I just don't know how.

Oh and by the way, this issue is only over text. In real life things are not awkward at all, but sadly I can't meet him a lot because we live a bit far from each other and go to different universities. So I want to like work with what I have and try to make things less awkward over text (where most of our relationship resides).

And before anyone says anything, we're together because we see a future with each other. Next year we're hopefully going to be closer to each other in terms of distance because we both graduate and we'll be able to see each other more often. So I just need to be patient now until things get better

Most Helpful Guy

• Why do you waste time texting? Use Skype or FaceTime and see him, talk to him, and have more of a connection. Try to schedule some time each day for this, like 10:30-11:00 pm.

Most Helpful Girl

• I Agree with Thee... This is LDR as I call this Now and Somehow... I just need to be patient now until things get better.
    It Seems that On One end, your Feelings for one another are still there but On Another, the 'I can't meet him alot' is a Big Issue here, dear, and Needs to be Addressed so Perhaps... Break the ice.
    Try Skype, I Suggest it is time to put aside the Text and try something else, if you haven't already. I had a husband out in Egypt and Skype was our Best from the Rest and it is a Good Way Any Day, To... Save the day or at least Try to.
    LDR is One of the Hardest to have and to Up Hold of Any, believe me. However, Open lines of Convo and Some sizzle is Something special that Always Needs to Be... Addressed and Never Forgotten if you both want to Continue to See a future with each other.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 3

• Texting is a poor excuse for communication.

• lame.

call him on teh fone.

• what does awkward and awkward person even mean

What Girls Said 4

• I'd say that if texting is awkward when you guys get to spend less time together and he's a naturally awkward person anyway, you don't really need to text that often?

Maybe just cut the amount you guys text a bit. If you guys still are able to see each other in person somewhat often, a quick check-in sort of text in the evenings should be fine. You guys can fill each other in on anything interesting that happened throughout day and I can't imagine that getting too awkward.

• Practice makes perfect and that's the case even with texting. I doubt there's anything you can do differently to magically make it less awkward other than just being yourself and trying your best.

• Than text him little by little.

• I would try to have more phone conversations and not rely on/utilize texting. Also, try to plan a getaway when you both have a break. Someplace where you can do nothing but reconnect. Things like that help to fill the void until the next time.