Why when I ask girls what they are up to they think I am going to ask them out?

This has happened to me a few times, earlier today I saw a girl I knew on my way to class, and its a pretty long way from my apartment to class so we talked for a good 15 minutes. Anyway as we weer walking I asked her what she was doing tonight, just to make conversation, and her face got red and she kind of fumbled around for a minute trying to think of what to say, and then gave a very vague answer like "My friends and I were thinking about going out, but I might not". Right after she said this I was like "Oh crap, she thinks I'm going to ask her out", which I wasn't planning on doing. I continued the conversation, and ignored it, but this is the third time I've had a girl do this to me. I just ask them what they are up to and they assume I'm going to ask them out, is this a question I should avoid asking? I dont want to like break their hearts when I dont ask them out, but I thought it was just a pretty simple conversation piece. What are your thoughts? Why do they keep thinking I'm going to ask them out? Does that mean they like me?

What Girls Said 2

• Well that's what people say when they are gonna ask people out a lot of the time.
    "What are you doing tonight? [Insert answer] Oh because I was wondering if you'd like to go to [insert place] with me".

• they might like you if they blush. personally I'd think you were going to ask me out.

What Guys Said 0