Would you date someone who has more education and/or more responsible job than you? Say an MS, MBA or PhD? A manager, director, or business owner?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes because It would mean she is focused and career driven but as long as its not a case of my job defines me or I'm married to the job its a bonus for me.
    Women with postgraduate studies tend to be more rational in my opinion that is what makes a brainy girl so much more attractive.

They also tend to value the few moments you have together and also your effort in helping with paying for bills since they experience the hardship of having a demanding career.
    They will less likely blow your money on unnecessary luxeries like a beautician or someone with a basic secondery education would do.

Most Helpful Girl

• My husband made a little over 6 grand in December. That's with over a week off work for Christmas and new years. I made about $500. I don't think the amount of money or success someone has should define a relationship. What matters is a common goal defined by both and respect for eachother to be maintained

What Guys Said 36

• My wife and I have both a masters degree. There was rarely more than 10% difference between our respective wages (big exception: when we had both our degree and she got a real pay while I was drafted and started with a soldiers' pay in the army.)

• That's great! I'm happy for you both.

• @DBAOracle
      No, my country didn't participate in the Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos slaughtering.

• Oh, I'm sorry. I just assumed that you were from the US with nothing to indicate that. My bad.

• Yeah, I would but not if they were uptight or had a snobby personality. She would also have to be ok with me not giving a crap about money as well. Meaning, I'm never going to make the same amount of money or more than she is, most likely ever. Because it's not important to me.

• As long as she didn't try to belittle me for it, yeah.

• Absolutely! It would turn me on in fact!

• That's what my ex said but he ended up presenting it in a huge way. It really affected his male ego even though I did everything I could to make him feel valued and appreciated for the skills that he does have and for the things he definitely contributed to our marriage.

• I'm sorry that dudn't work out. For me, it's not a problem for a few reasons.
      1. I have an MS and was an all-but-thesis PhD.
      2. Women with power and confidence turn me on. Often, I will have fantasies involving such women and tending to their needs.

• Yes. I would - I actually prefer to date someone like that. But it's not easy to find one, since I have an MBA and another masters.

• Yeah, I'm in the same boat. If I put my masters degree on a dating profile guys won't even contact me. I have to take it off to even get a message.

• @redeyemindtricks LOL, exactly. Just like how nobody has ever managed to say the words "Trust me, I'm a doctor" without sounding like a complete jerk.

• @redeyemindtricks Well when you fill. out your profile you have to select your education level. If I put Master's Degree, men avoid me like the plague. I think they select search criteria to avoid advanced degrees.

• Maybe if I can't give up my career and be the "stay at home" dad, then I can work out daily for hours and practice playing my stratocaster so I'll be good enough to play a local club when the kids are teenagers off doing their own things.

• I do know some women who have stay-at-home husbands. Usually it's because the husband lost their job and it was just more economical for him to stay home. But it works out really well sometimes.

• My oldest cousin was a stay at home dad taking care of the kids since he was a PE teacher who lost his job and she was a corporate lawyer. Later after the kids were older, he went into real estate.

• sure. why not?

• why not.. as long as she doesn't rub it into my face... my last girlfriend had just a HS Diploma and I have a MS and lots of Pilot related licenses and ratings... I never held it against her.

• I have a PhD, my girlfriend stills thinks I'm a dumbass. It's no different than dating someone who is not that educated

• Ofc I would!
    Although it's not really relevant for me, it could give away some pretty positive/attractive traits about the person :)

• Yeah that way they won't spend that much time with me just the way I like it I hate clingy people

• Haha... me too

• Aww, thanks. I'd date you, too.

• well then lets date ;)

• Yes, i'd date a girl smarter than me. smarts are sexy. if she makes more that's okay. least the bills won't be late lol

• their academic success is irrelevant to whether I would date them or not.

• Yes.

• That wouldn't turn me away

• I found out that very often Phd and managers dont match with my personallity and what I want from woman.

• To begin with, nobody has a more responsible job than I do (CNA). Better paid, maybe, but not more responsible. I work for PhDs who aren't as educated as I am, except in their narrow little field. Still, I've never gotten close to dating someone with an advanced degree. Not that I wouldn't, but that's just the way things have gone.

• yes. 100% yes.

• sure!

• Hell yes.

I am dating the person, not their job.

• yes, since that describes me though i won't date myself.

• What if she made more money than you or was a CEO while you were a director?

• @asker PM me. I think I might be able to explain the male psyche in a more complete way because the answer to this immediate question is complicated.

• haha.. wow, the "dude" who is middle-aged comes to say what's what and what I can or cannot say... haha... male psyche, in the 1970s maybe.

• Im not sure women ssem to question this. Intelligence and success is not intimidating, its desired.

Degree or no degree, high position job or not... its about how she carries herself. if she's awesome and successful thats just a bonus.

• I honestly don't care what kind of degree she has.

• I don't think I'll ever be able to find a woman with a higher education than me. I would date her, though.

• I want to be a novelist or maybe a PI and my girlfriend wants to go into the hard sciences
    What do you think

• I'd have no problem with it.

• sure they can help pay the bills

• Yes.
    Of course.

• Yeah, I would.

• Yes certainly but not if the person is egoistic or he/she is a show off

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 16

• I would be scared to look stupid in front of them.

• I would! I find intelligence and drive to be very attractive.

• Yep... sure would.. tho I myself will be an M. B. A. as well...

• yea i would! unless he had a serious personality flaw i couldnt get past related to him being in a higher position like arogance or dominant in every decision

• Definitely. Even uneducated people can the arrogant though. Max was a perfect example. He was a construction worker and felt like he knew everything about every topic and always had to be right.

• who is Max? and ur completely right! i know my dad sometimes blamed his critical nature at home on his profession of bein a professor. thats what i meant.

• It was supposed to be "my ex". Lol.

• Yes! Absolutely. I'm actually more interested in guys who seem to... hmm... know more, to be intelligent. It's like something tells me they're more responsable & more mature.

• Yeah sure.

• Umm no I don't know I think id feel dumb being with someone with a Ph. D although that's the route I want to go so unless I get my PhD then no way

• Yes I think so. Why not? 🤔

• So as long as he is home for more than just a few minutes a day.

• Yeah, that's the really hard part. I'm able to work from home, but I'm still working. I feel like my kids missed out on a lot because I wasn't able to be involved in their school, go sledding on a snow day (cuz ny company expects us to work remotely in bad weather) , or just be around in general as a mom.

• Yep, and I know that absence is of parents is really hard for the kids.

• They tend to look for partners similarly to them. Your past experience doesn't reflect what most men are like. Sure, if you date an average joe blow with no ambitions... He will mind it.

• As to answer your actual question. No. They are totally fucked up and obsessed with power and lust.

• The degrees they get just means they know how to please societal expectations and think conventionally. They are the ultimately trained human robot designed to work for long hours and that is all they do.

• Thanks so much for that lovely analysis of my professional life.

• yes, of course

• fuck yes. is this a real question? i don't want someone with no degrees... it's tough to get a job with a degree.

• yeah, why not?

• yes, but i don't think he will want a girl who work at Mcdo and without any degree

• You never know!

• You'd be surprised. No matter how much they argue going to the contrary, most men still want a woman that they can take care of. They want to be the big strong man and the provider. And if you have other awesome qualities, they're not going to care. Truly.

The tough part about having a master's degree is that their role as the leader and provider is challenged by that. They feel like they have to work harder to prove themselves. They say that they don't mind, if you see the comments here, by my ex said the same thing and ended up being very resentful. It was like we were always in a competition I never signed up for.

• So they are more conservative, that's cool so I can date a man like that without feel like I'm dumb and all

• No, I wouldn't. I don't want to be with someone who calls me dumb all the time and who tries to make me feel inferior, just because I don't have the same education as he.

• So you think that it's not possible for a person like that to be nice?

• They can be nice, but dating someone like that wouldn't be good for me. I would feel bad.

• Why wouldn't i?

• A lot of men seem to find this intimidating.

• In my experience, that ^^ is mostly a myth. Men don't find this "intimidating" at all, for the most part.

Instead, the problem is that a lot of women with business/financial power have this weird thing where they want a man who has even MORE of that power than they do.
      Which is stupid, because, it's a partnership, and you don't need a car with 2 engines. So, they are targeting men who, sensibly enough, are looking for a more supportive partner and less interested in that.

The "men are intimidated" thing is just a way of avoiding having to look reality in the eye.

• @redeyemindtricks

Actually, I'm basing this on personal experience. I was married to a construction worker who said that he liked the fact that I was smart and had a career, but he ended up resenting that as soon as we were married. It was a huge problem in our relationship even though I did everything I could to let him know how much I appreciated his skills and his practicalness.

On dating sites, if I have my masters degree on my profile guys don't contact me. I have to take it off for anyone to even send me a message.