Girls, Women, would you date an older divorced man (say 10-15 years older than you)?

I'm recently divorced but also had a brief (8 month) relationship with a beautiful woman 15 years younger than me (I'm 46, she was 32). I fell in love with her but she didn't fall in love with me.. I made some mistakes early on that put me in a "needy" category and it was an uphill battle for me to fix it.. I've since learned a bit about dating and relationships again after my 18 year marriage.

Anway, I feel like I lost my best chance at a new relationship with a beautiful younger woman (yes, I know that sounds shallow, sorry, please don't judge).

Was that a fluke or are more women open to being with men a good bit older than them? What would be the attraction and reason why?

bump for more responses

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I think I would, I almost did in fact but other things stopped the relationship from happening and it was at the wrong time. If you're nice, funny and attractive.. and lastly have your life somewhat together its' not that hard to get younger females

• Thanks, I sure hope you're right... I know I'm not as attractive as I was in my 20's and 30's, but I also know I'm not ugly.. matter of fact in a poll on here for how you look I did quite well... but I guess the breakup form this girl left me with a bit of a low feeling... Thanks for the response.

What Girls Said 12

• Please don't feel bad. It was your first time dating in 18 years, you can't really fault yourself for making mistakes. It can be hard to come out of a long term relationship, a marriage, and then be thrown back into the dating world.

The thing is, you are capable of finding someone. But please don't limit yourself to only dating younger women. Try to have an open mind when dating.

It's definitely possible to find someone younger. But there is nothing wrong with dating people your own age as well.

I would date a guy who was divorced who is 10-15 years older than me. Actually, that seems to be all that is available now (I'm 26). Most of the guys my age are married or getting close to being married. I'm single unfortunately and it's hard to meet guys who have A) Never been married B) Never had kids, at this age.

I am trying to have an open mind. As long as the guy isn't carrying a lot of baggage from his previous relationship and is willing to give me an honest try, we can try dating.

• with baggage... would you consider his having to support his 13 and 15 year old kids and provide alimony to his wife for 5-7 years too much baggage?

• Thanks for that... no I'm quite happy with the choices and situation my ex wife and I are in now.. we both are. I am a bit heartbroken and hurt (damage?) from the break up with my now ex-girlfriend of 7 months who I began to really fall for, only to find that she was never able to be emotionally available for me, largely due to her not being over a 5 year relationship where she was also heart broken... It's almost like a disease that spreads like a virus.

• Heartbreak is terrible. I am going through it myself. People can be so cruel. It can be really hard to be in a relationship when you are not open to love and are still dealing with the wounds.

The best thing you can do is take things slow. Just go on dates, have fun. Try not to think too seriously right away. Just let things flow naturally. Things will happen in their due course.

• I would. age is just a number but then I tend to go for personality types. If you are loving, caring and loyal I can dig that

• If there's love age is no difference, and for my husband I went for the mature part because I was so tired of always being hurt and screwed over and he always treated me nicely.

• No. My parents are that far apart and it's weird, like my dad is more of a grandpa than a dad. He retired a few years ago and my mom is supporting the family (plus his social security helps). He's home alone all day while she's at work. By the time she retires, he'll be in his eighties and too old to do anything fun that she wants to do. They don't get to enjoy life at the same stages.

• Nope.
    _____________________

• I dated a man who was 30 years older than me for a while but we drifted apart as we felt that the age gap was too big.

• Nope, that's too big of an age difference for me.

• at 18 I wouldn't expect you to feel otherwise... usually it's "women" ages 25+ that begin to appreciate the maturity difference

• It's not for that specific reason. I just don't want a relationship with someone I know is most likely to die 15-20 years before I do. I don't want to be a widow for such an extended period of time.

• I honestly wouldn't mind since right I really like someone who is ten years older than me.

• I normally would, but you seem too feminine for me.

• You've peaked my interest... why? Elaborate please..

• That's not what I consider feminine. It's more because you seem like you're trying too hard.

• I made a lot of mistakes and I'm learning from them... or at least trying. It's not male or female, it's called falling in love for the first time in 2 decades with someone who didn't love you back... sucks.

• No... I am not into big age differences at all. The guy gets all the perks and usually he is too controlling, too. I get tired of people pushing that I must give up my own desires and just date an older man with lopsided attraction to get loyalty.

That being said, I've liked a select few individuals who were 10-12 years older. But the mindset of older men who are open to only a much younger partner drives me bananas.

• Nope, I use to have a thing for older men, dome of y'alll are set in y'all ways

• Yep. When I was 23 I married a divorced man who was 14 years older than me. We are still happy after 17 years of marriage. He's fantastic, which is why I fell for him, and I decided age was just a number. Best decision of my life.