Can you cheat on someone you truly love?

• No. if you love someone you cannot imagine hurting them this way.
  • Yes. everyone messes up sometimes.
  • If you are drunk, it is an exception.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never done it but I do believe it does happen. I've seen it happen. Love isn't always enough to make a relationship work. Some people just have a cheating problem and if that is the case they probably wouldn't work with me. But also sometimes in a long marriage people drift apart temporarily or feel disconnected and it happens. Sometimes it's the jolt the relationship needs to get back on track. If both parties knew they were unhappy and it comes as not such a big surprise I think they can get past it.

I can get over physical heating with someone we don't know and not over the course of months but if anything emotional was going on it would be so much harder.

• Thanks for MH anon!

• @hotstuffSRD True just end it. It's a lot less painful than her finding out you're cheating. You've got the right idea.

• I love this answer so much because of how true it is. Sometimes no matter how much you love someone, it won't ever be enough. I often had thoughts about cheating on my ex partner because he was making himself so unemotionally available and disconnected himself entirely from me. At that point it did not feel that I even had my partner at all.

What Guys Said 48

• I'd say it's impossible to cheat on someone you're in love with, since when a guy is in love with a woman, no other woman will seem attractive in comparison. The most beautiful celebrity woman on the planet will seem boring and ugly.

But that phase doesn't last, it's temporary and can diminish withing just a few years.

After that cheating is about giving way to temptation. It'll always be there. It's not malicious, it's like a girl who's on a diet who gives in a eats ice cream.

Your ability to resist ultimately boils down to your options weighed against your discipline. It's going to be harder for a celebrity not to cheat, some guy who looks very average and doesn't command female attention is really not imagining the full scenario properly by saying he'd never cheat in a celebrity guy's shoes. So celebrities will need an extremely high level of superhuman kind of discipline.

I don't need that level of discipline. My temptations are few in number, with very few women making passes at me even with the wedding ring (more women tend to make passes at me with the wedding ring on, fewer with it off).

But there's always an incredible love for my wife, she's the one to whom I always come home. And so far I've never given in to temptations, they're few and far between, and I'm usually level-headed enough to find an excuse to resist female passes ("she has garlic breath", e. g. -- excuses I wouldn't make when single, but stronger when combined with the fact that I'm married).

So I'd say it's very possible to find a moment of weakness and cheat. It's not impossible at all. Everyone tends to make this so simple and black and white in their self-righteous stance, life is a lot more complicated than this. It's not fairy tales, it's temptations, and resisting them, depriving your desires and emotions in favor of a higher purpose and goal. This is something man has repeatedly failed to achieve provided that the temptation and options are always there to fail in those goals.

• Put another way, a person who lacks the discipline to even stay on a rigid diet for a few years is not going to have the discipline to avoid cheating if they're surrounded by temptation, since staying on a rigid diet for a few years is easier than not cheating for the rest of your lifetime.

• The person I would actually trust who can say with 100% confidence that they would cheat would be someone I see as having a great track record of putting principle above passion, integrity above desire. That would echo in their entire life record, their decision-making process, even when examined outside of relationships. Their ability to commit to a goal would be phenomenal, they would sacrifice their own happiness for the sake of others at any given moment, even their weakest moment. Such a person I might trust to say they'd never cheat, even if they were very desirable to the opposite gender and were surrounded with temptation. It's really hard to do -- I'd say, upfront, that if I looked like Brad Pitt, I'd probably have cheated at least a few times, while still simultaneously loving my wife. But I don't look like Brad Pitt, fortunately, so I don't have that level of temptation.

• I heard what you're saying. However, that's a far cry from an affair.

• sure you can. you can love some one and abuse them. you can love someone and leave them. you can love someone and cheat on them

• love is not a feeling, it's an action.

• @orphan you love some based on an emotional feeling. love is a noun as well as a verb (to love). it is certainly an action but you can love someone while not acting (displaying an action) in a "to love" way

• WOW are your questions really messed up.

CAN you cheat? sure, anyone can cheat
    WOULD you cheat? no
    and don't give me the "oh, everyone messes up " ... Bullshit
    if the person is not a scummy piece of trash, they wouldn't cheat.
    I knew my ex wife of 25 years exactly 40 days before I went into the military
    I was drunk plenty of times, lonely plenty of time, and I never stuck my cock into anyone else.

• The word truly should already imply that you can't. At least in my opinion. They may use any excuse they want but people who cheated didn't entirely love their partners. In my opinion cheating is one of those few areas in life where it truly can be black and white - you either don't love them, are a lying peace of shit and cheat, or you do love them and you don't cheat. Simple.

And before anyone raises the old "but our relationship had problems and I was confused" n shit then shut up. You could have instead tried to fix it OR leave. Simple. Again.

• i never cheated on any girlfriend i ever had. i am filing for divorce now. i loved my wife and never cheated on her. though she was emotionally abusive and cheated on me with the same guy since before we got married and forgave her several times and even had feelings for him. but i kept trying for the sake of our family and son. untill she decided to take our son and leave.(now she wants me to take her back.. NO im not)
    i tolerated all that and i never cheated. so yeah basically i would never cheat.
    and before getting my divorce signed i am not considering any new relationship.
    i would never tolerate being that kind of a person. (you might say im stupid but yeah thats how i am)

• Well I think one could.. but it to me is very wrong to even try it.. why cheat.. even if the so called one you want to be with never finds this out.. it would or should haunt you always.. and in the long run where is the trust really in anything you say or think to yourself

• totally possible

• No, that's just not possible!. It can never happen.

• I think that only happens if you are either extremely drunk, or you feel like you are not reciprocated enough and your relationship has no future.

• I see two questions here:

1. IS IT POSSIBLE to cheat on someone you truly love

2. IS IT ACCEPTABLE to cheat on someone your truly love

The answer to both of these should be a resounding "NO", but modern society will tell you it's normal to "love" multiple people. The truth is there is only one person you can truly love. And once you find them, the question won't be, "can I cheat on him / her", but rather "Why would I ever want to cheat on him / her?"

• Most people see life as black and white when life truly is a combination of colors, or emotions. Cheating is more complicated than what most think It is, you can still love someone and cheat on that person, why? There is more than one answer for that and not loving the other person anymore is just one among many others, life is not Disney Land, shit happens, the question is if you want to over come those type of situations or be absorbed by it. The only perfect love I know is God love.

• I could never and would never do that, but I don't speak for all people and plenty of people have been truly in love and still cheat. It all comes down to the individual you are dealing with.

• No NO
    If you love the person, you stay with her.
    If you care about the person, but the love isn't there, you break up

• Rhetorical question. The cheater needs to ask that to themselves. No one else can possibly answer that. But at the very least, they should come clean about it regardless of the consequences.

• Yes. It is humanly possible to love more than one person romantically... if one isn't emotionally responsible about their conduct while in a relationship with another person.

• No you can't

• If someone is unsatisfied with their partner and they truly loved them, then they would break up with them before sleeping with someone else. Otherwise they are just selfish

• You can, especially if you are an idiot

• Not me, I wouldn't put myself in a position to hurt my girl. I think if you truly love your partner you wouldn't even consider cheating on them. Yeah sure, you think you may love them, but you surely don't respect them. The respect/trust is gone.

• 'cheating' and 'truly loving someone' does not belong together in the same sentence

For they belong at different sides of the 'respect' scale

• Tricky question.
    Love and sex are two separate things. You can love someone, but are not getting the emotional or physical connection you need. Some BS happens and now, you've slept with someone else.
    Personally, one time infractions can be worked on, but anymore than that is a serious problem.

• No I will never hurt anyone like that... And people who claim that yes it's possible don't really love their partners... Or they have cheating problem... And they are shitty people...

• Can I? I'm sure I could, as anything is possible. Would I? No! I'd prefer not to hurt someone I love. Why would I do that?

• This is what I see, some people believe they know what love is, or have their own definition of "Love" I believe you can't cheat on someone you truly love, I believe if i can make a vast example, if you are really cold, and you see an opportunity to have clothes/warmth, would you stay in the cold and get frost burn/bites or would you leave it and change your situation?

• If people are going to think of cheating, Know this. There is no quicker way to destroy trust in a relationship than by doing that. If anyone feels the need to cheat, It's time to hang it up and quit wasting the other persons time.

• Scientific evidence says yes. They actually did brain scans and everything to confirm. It was a series called the science of sex. Maybe you can find it somewhere.
    Honesty, loyalty, and respect are not prerequisites for love

• If you truly love or care about someone, you shouldn't cheat.

• If they give u a reason to cheat then I guess so.. like my X kept playing gsmes,, she pushed me into it.. neglected me and made me jelous.. this other girl was in love with me and we ended up having sex,, I felt guilty and sad ,, but at the same time it was her fault.. I broke up with her

• Hahaha fuck no.

• Yes. Some things just happen you know. We with our modern brains. A thin layer of grey goo and under that we are just animals... Sometims you life in the moment, love in the moment and then regret and realize that you love her so much that you wished you could use your time machine.

• More from Guys
    18

What Girls Said 33

• It is possible but I don't personally think you really love that person if you cheat. Some people say it happens for a reason, like something in the relationship is missing but if that's the case, you talk about it. You communicate. I think someone who cheats because they, perhaps, felt unloved by they person they are in love with, they aren't that much in love.. The "love" fades because it's not exactly returned, the spark fades, something is missing. Do you get my point? People make mistakes and they might regret doing it afterward because they feel guilty and bad. That is how we are suppose to react when we do something we have been taught is wrong. But they chose to cheat. And in the moment they did I'm sure they felt as if it was the right thing since they did it. So in my opinion, no you if you really are in love you wouldn't want to do anything to hurt them. There are no excuses.

• Yes, I find that a lot of people who truly love the person they are with do cheat, they just may not be inlove.

• Yes, it's possible. I have a problem with the way you worded option 2. "Yes. everyone messes up sometimes" Cheating on a partner you love carries more weight than say forgetting an event or saying something crass. And it shouldn't be happening 'sometimes' it's like implying it can happen often and everything is still love.

I think people are not perfect, and cheating on a loved partner is possible.

• Absolutely not. There are no exceptions.

• I have never personally cheated, but I have deceived my partner by lying even though we were apart and I had slept with someone else and lied to his face about it.

• If you love someone then cheating shouldn't even be on your mind.

• You can't cheat on someone you respect and I don't think you can truly love someone you don't respect.

• The reason why people cheat is because they feel as if something is missing in the relationship, so no... you may think you truly love them but if you even think about cheating you don't.

• no NEVER!! if i love someone i will never cheat

• No, if you truly love someone you would go out of your way to make sure that you never ended up in a situation that could lead to that. #andygrammar #HoneyI'mGood

• I don't feel like people who cheat truly love their partners.

• No, I believe love is respect and being selfless to an extent in a relationship their is no "I" but "Us". So if you cheat you don't respect your spouse, relationship and the time you've spent together. I have no sympathy for cheaters, i can find someone who will treat me with respect. what cheaters realize is their are always more fish in the sea.

• I feel like people get in a venerable state sometimes and make mistakes they will regret not meaning to harm their significant other and not even disregarding their love for them. Sometimes people get caught up in the moment.

• No.. I would never cheat anyway.. but I'm someone I love is not even remotely possible

• I believe that if I truly loved a guy and knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, I wouldn't even consider doing anything with someone else. I doubt I would even notice anyone else

• So that means you would cheat on someone who you don't really love our see yourself getting married to?

• @singlebee Didn't say that either. If I didn't love a guy I was with, I'd break up with him

• Voted for A, that's what I believe 😊💖 I hate when people cheat and say they love their partner anyways 😕 That's a complete and utter lie 😐😵

• No never, but I guess my lover can. 😤😡

• If you cheat on them then you truly don't love them to begin with.

• the answer is no.

• Yes because there are weak minded people that want some action on the side

• if you really love a person you will don't feel the need to even think of cheating

• No one else can dictate to you whether your love is genuine or not. No one else can get in your head and say what you are feeling.

• No, even if you didn't love them but purely respected them you wouldn't. Not cheating isn't hard, and it's the most basic level of respect in a relationship. If somebody can't do that, you know where you stand.

• There are two types of love. First it's the intense honeymoon phase. Naturally nobody NEEDS to cheat in that phase.
    But once that phase is over, it's hard to say.

• As much as I'd like to say no, never, I think that's a bit naive. Anyone can make a mistake, and if it's a one time thing (one night stand or whatever) then I think it's possible to love someone and make this mistake. A full on affair - seeing someone repeatedly, planning and lying - on the other hand is different. I don't think you can love someone and do that to them

• You can't cheat on someone you love more than anything else in the world, it just doesn't add up

• Maybe you can, but I can't.

• I would never cheat on someone I love. HOWEVER- the said cheater may have a sex addiction and may be too afraid to tell the other half. There are a lot of different reasons.

• No. If you really loved that person you wouldn't cheat. You don't hurt something you love.

• More from Girls
    3