Guys, would you date a clinically depressed girl?

would you date her and be in a relationship with her if she had major depression?

• Yes, I don't mind
    53% (16)
  • No, it's a deal breaker for me
    47% (14)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

24

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't be worrying about you will date you or not date you. You can have as man as you want in your life and be happily married one day. But if you want to that to happen, then you have to make sure your in full control of your illness.

I wouldn't a women with depression, if she expects to take care of her, and expecting me to make her depression go away. Your depression, is your responsibility.

I would date a girl with depression, that is in full control of her illness, and doesn't it allow to get in the way of our relationship, and we can do everything that normal couple do. i will allow that she not going to perfect all the time, and she is going to have bad days, because after all she is human.

Having depression is absolutely shit, and very hard illness to live with it, I suffered from it, along with anxiety and severe panic attacks. But I do enough to control it, so I can live a happy life, and no one will know that I ever suffer from it.

Its just about taking responsibility for your illness. If you manage it will , there is no reason, you can have a life just like everyone else.

What Guys Said 23

• During the dating phase and she was Dx with a depressive disorder? No. Not even when she is taking antidepressants or undergoing therapy or just waiting and worrying about her if she'll relapse or quell her disorder. Not to mention, worrying if she's harboring any suicidal tendencies that are not apparent. Sorry, I'm looking for a partner who I can enjoy life with in the long haul; not get dragged down or be worried by this type of mood.

If she's already my partner and got hit by these symptoms resulting in, then yeah, I'll be there to support her through it all.

• disabilities and conditions are one thing but depression is a different bear all together. i believe everyone has the ability to shake their depression but trust me i do realize how hard it is. for this reason i would not date one but if she shook her depression then we would have something in common and i would love to. i was absolutely clinically depressed but refused to take medication and suffered hard. but eventually broke through it.

• wow you're an inspiration but sometimes it's a chemical imbalance in the brain and that needs meds though right?

• its an inbalance of dopamine etc the happy chemicals. so sure its a chemical imbalance but you can stimulate those chemicals yourself. taking drugs teaches you to depend on them and grow an addiction.

i think the best solution is to work through it yourself. im not here to barrade depressed people about taking meds, im not saying its not real. But i am saying its all in your head and that positive thinking and actions even if forced can work you out of the depression. you will become sad after you work out of it but your coping mechanisms will be great and you will never really feel that shitty about anything.

i was dating a girl who last week said she didn't want to see me. i would have been crushed and not talked to another girl for probably like a year like i always did, but i just found a new girl to take out that very same week.

• Every relationship serves to help and that is LOVE

• Well, if dating her would maybe help her, then absolutely. But if not, then it's hard to say. I would certainly get her the help she needs so she is not depressed.

• I've already dated depressed women twice before.
    It really sucks. You put in 5 times what you get out, and sometimes they push you away or are apathetic towards you. Obviously it's not what they really want to do, but getting cut with a knife still hurts whether it was intentional or not.
    Not only that but having to make them feel better, calm them down, talk them out of hurting themselves, etc. really takes a toll on you. I can honestly say that I never felt more stressed than when trying to deal with someone's major depression episode.

So overall I'd strongly prefer my next partner didn't have depression or had the proper medications and treatment for it, because I can't deal with it again. It's too much.

• "if she had"?

as in, thats the main reason I date her?

• no what I mean is thats part of who she is like thats the package that comes along with dating her.

• if she is diagnosed with depression, but she tries everyday and makes certain that the depression isn't in control of her, for the benefit of her own life, sure.

• No did that and it ended badly, she went off her knocker on everythign -.- loved her but still man

• if she knows it understands she has a problem and found a way to live with it. i would at least give it a chance if i liked everything thing else about her.

• Depends on if she wallows in it or actually tries to get over it. You get lots of angsty people who love the angsting part, and to quote Sonic "THAT'S NO GOOD."

• Yes I would, and take care of her too

• I think love can change things. I say yes.

• doesn't exist in my presence.

• I have and it was very tough to deal with. It was to the point to where she even went through etc therapy.

• Been there, done that, turned out awful, never again.

• No I wouldn't honestly, I don't have time to deal with that crap

• Clinicly depressed didn't work out in the past.

• No, been there... done that... not worth the headache and heartbreak.

• Do you want my honest opinion? i only dated two girls and was serious with one, the closest i got to depression is an insecure girl who is afraid of going further or doing certain things, it was a strain on the relationship she could never provide what i wanted even though i was ready to provide what she wanted , so to answer your qustion i would no probably not.

• Been there. Done that. Not doing it again.

• No but I would bang her if she's hot

• As long as she loves me and never cheats on me.

• Probably not, because the odds are, i wouldn't be getting -my- emotional needs met. I'm capable of being sympathetic and supportive, but if i'm getting not much back it's going to destroy me.

• Nope - too much drama... I am trying to eliminate drama from my life.