Is it racist to date only one type of culture?

This doesn't nessasarily mean hating on other cultures. It just means we prefer one specific culture.
For example only dating white girls/black girls/asian girls etc.

I personally do not find it racist since it's personal preference, but I have been told it is racist. What are your thoughts on this?

Most Helpful Girl

• No it's not racist.
    Unless the person has a racist reason behind the reason.
    Some people are attracted to cheerful and bubbly people, some people are attracted to more timid and reserved people. Like personalities, you can have preferences with backgrounds. There's nothing wrong with it.

• but completely dismissing someone solely for their race is racist.

• By saying I'm not attracted to ______ guys/girls, you've (and I'm using you generally) literally just said you won't date anyone of certain race no matter what they look like, where they're from, what their background is, that is very racist. @love-jesus is 100% correct.

• some people don't know how to read here... hahaha..

What Girls Said 15

• It's strange to choose a culture that isn't your own - I'd say that's a bit of a self-hate thing right there.

• Can you expand upon that? I don't see that as self-hate in the slightest bit.

• Ummm I actually like Asians and I am Asian.
      I appreciate other girls too but I prefer Asian.

• Then I think that's expected and really actually really cute. =)
      Respecting and loving your own culture beyond all others is an admirable quality.

• no Its called comfort level and preference its racist if you give a reason based off skin color and calling people ugly generally just because you dont find them attractive.

• No, it's not racist, but I just think you shouldn't label yourself as someone who does that or only have that type of thinking. I like to have options so I will always be open minded to dating anyone outside my race/culture and within my race/culture.

• nope, u just have a preference and that's fine.

• Naivety, ambivalence, ignorance, closed minded-ness but not necessarily racism.

• No, it's not racist at all. Racism is the discrimination or prejudice of one based on their skin type. Simply preferring to date your own race isn't discriminatory or prejudicial. It simply means you find them more attractive.
    You can't help what you're attracted to, no matter what anyone says or thinks. You can still interact with other races and treat them just like members of your own race, but not want to date them.
    It's just like body types. Some guys prefer pear-shaped girls, while others prefer hourglass or apple shapes. Does that mean they dislike women of the opposite build of their preference? No, it just means they aren't attracted to them. It's the same thing.

• if its based on the culture (way of life), its not racist. if its based on race, it can be consridered racist technicly tho not a big deal cuz it affects u most. wht did u mean by culture?

• Not at all! Thats a preferences you have, and nearly EVERYONE prefers a culture over another, so that is totally understandable.
    Racist is when you act disrespectful towards other cultures or people with other beliefs that aren't like yours... And you disrespect them, only for that reason... just coz they believe in something else or coz they don't share your same culture or point of view on things... THATS racists

• no it isn't unless it's for the wrong reasons, it's racist to date certain races because you deem other races inferior.
    cultural preferences are totally understandable

• No, it's not really racist. I only like Native Americans so...

• Eh it's better to have common ground with someone than someone who doesn't at all. Different people repel each other like a bad smell in the room.

• Many different races share the same culture... I fail to see your point.

• I don't think so, my mom
    Thinks it's racist. But I believe there's more
    To it just like it's highly unlikely that you will meet someone who's interested in ALL races at all times on the regular.

• No its what they are used to

• It's not racist, it's a preference. And typically any specific race will be more attracted to their race than another and it isn't racist. It's just genetically how humans are.
    I'm white, and I typically only like white guys, but I find a lot of italians and black guys attractive too.

• So Italians aren't white? LOL

• @BangBadBxtches Italy was conquered by the Moors. Some Moors were black, others Arabic, the blacks conquered Italy. Before the invasion the majority of Italians were blonde hair and blue eyes. Therefore, Italians are technically a long line of half black / half whites. Therefore, not white. Read a book. Or watch True Romance.

What Guys Said 11

• No, it's just personal preference
    Because you're not hating on the others

If you'd say... I only date Indians... because all Russians are bad. THEN it is racism

• Of coarse not. You like who you like, you can't control who you like so go for it. But honestly, you live in a free country, date who you want as long as they are not kids lol. Your not a pastor are you?

• Where does this notion of "you can't control it" come from? At first I was only attracted to Asian girls, then later on I started dating black and white girls, same for other people I know too, preferences don't change for close minded people is what you should say instead.

• @BangBadBxtches what i mean is, who you like is based on chemical reactions in your head. If you like this or that depends on that so there's that.

• No. Where the hell are all these questions coming from?

• Culture is different than race.

No, it isn't.

• No. That is just silly.

• It's personal preference, not racism.

• Nah, its just preference and that's totally fine.

• no it's not it's called taste not racist

• I don't care what these other fucks say but it's racist.

I'm racist too so join the club.

• it´s called personal choice xD

• 0|2