Partner allowed to scan through your phone or not?

If you're in a relationship, do you allow your partner to look through your phone? My ex and I used to do that all the time, not like we were looking for clues whether we're cheating, we just went through each other pics, sharing funny ones with each other, played games on the others phone. Sometimes we even replied to the other's friends. I didn't mind at all, because I know I have nothing to hide. Anyone can go through my phone.

How do you feel about this?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I legally could not. I have clients with which I have nondisclosure agreements, and revealing all the contents on one of my smartphones (or on most of my computers) would put me in breach of those contracts and could put their PCI DSS certification status at risk. They can look through my feature phone all they like, it just contains phone numbers and call records.

• This is the best reason I have read so far for not letting your partner look through your phone.

• True. I respect that

• Thanks for MHO!

Most Helpful Girl

• That's what my boyfriend and I do. We have the same phone password because when we started dating we would always use mine for Netflix and it got to the point he would accodently put mine in his and lock his phone up so he changed it. We go onto each other's phones all the time, but it's not like we're looking for anything. I text his mom for him while he's sleeping or look through his random recipe apps or something.

• That's exactly how we were. It was sort of like having two phones. I never read every single message he received or the conversations he had with his friends, I just sometimes replied to messages when he was busy.

• We are :) I feel very lucky

• more of these two please.

What Guys Said 18

• I have nothing to hide, but if my partner asks to look, then the answer will always be no, and I will have no choice but to flag that as potentially the beginning of the end.

If she doesn't ask, then inevitably I will be too lazy to reach for it to do something, and just tell her the password anyway.

• I think my phone and computer are my private space, and you only get to poke around it with my permission.

• If you have been serious together for a few months and both of you want a real relationships, yes.

• Casually going through one another's phones isn't too bad. Going through a partner's phone out of mistrust is a serious hot button issue for me. To have my privacy be violated by a person I trusted is... well it'd be devastating.

• I wouldn't let my girlfriend scan through my phone because I think she should trust me enough to know that I'm not doing anything bad on my phone

• "Partner allowed to scan through your phone or not?" Nope and if she asks "why?" after I've told her "no", imma dump her right there on the spot Like It's my phone for a reason, you know?

• If I had a cell sure why not and when I find a girlfriend she can do just that as long s I can on her phone as well and her computer and she can check mine as well

• i don't mind

• Definitely not.

• Ye sure got nothing to hide.

• My SO can look in my phone all she likes. Couldn't care less. But random people dont get anywhere near my phone. Non of their business

• i don't mind, as long as they don't mind my penis.

i don't password protect my phone, as i can't think of a single instance where it would benefit me.

• Absolutely. I have nothing to hide. She can read every text and see every picture. But she won't let me go through hers.

• So you're not allowed to go through her phone even if she goes through yours?

• She lets me go through everything but her photos.

• Okay but photos are okay, I think, I know my best friend is also does not mind people go through her phone, but she's on this fitness program where she has to take photo's of her body to check her progress. So when she started doing that she put a password on her gallery.

• Yeah she wouldn't find much if anything even if she was searching. My phone ain't my portfolio

• Scanning through my phone is allowed but a red a sign. 2 more and I rather be single again

• YES! Go for it IM NOT HIDING ANYTHING! Are you? ( how i feel about it )

• Hell nah she can't look through my phone. Then she'll know I have tinder. She'll know I have naked pics of other girls. She'll know I've been banging other girls. She'll know I'm cheating on her.

• O. o Why do you have a girlfriend then? Why not just screw around without having other people's feelings involve?

• I think they shouldn't look through your partner's phone unless is for the reasons you have. I used to be in a relationship where my ex would randomly ask for my phone to see what i was talkin bout with my female friends and if i was cheating or had pictures i should have and of course because she was doing that so was i. It became a problem and we had to stop it cause it was too much. Turns out she was looking at my phone because she was hiding text msgs and you know that once you do something wrong you think your partner is able to do it too and you might not even know it sonce you got away with it. Anyways we dsted for 5 years in the end.

What Girls Said 15

• Sure, he picks up my phone and messes with it a lot. Never checks through it but plays a few of my games and fucks around with Siri and changes his contact name to Daddy or John Cena or whatever bullshit he decides to do that day :P I think it's probably because he doesn't have a phone, he's so curious about mine. I wouldn't allow him to go on my phone if it was to check I was cheating, that would just annoy the hell out of me at the blatant lack of trust.

• I've never had a boyfriend but I'd feel a little violated if I found out he was doing it constantly without my knowledge and I wouldn't expect him to let me go through his phone constantly either.

• Doing without your knowledge is not okay, depends on what he is doing, whether he is snooping or just playing a game or whatever.

• Those who claim they've nothing to hide but yet refuse to allow their SO to scan their phone, are totally liar. When the answer is NO, means there is at least one thing you don't want them to know.

I won't let my SO to check because I HAVE a lot of things to hide. Not necessary related to cheating or betrayal him but some stuffs are just too personal for him to know. I doubt he would like it so I prefer him not to know anything about it.

• I have nothing to hide, but thats still my privacy. Even conversations with my girlfriends inside jokes I wouldn't want him to see because it's between me and them not him. If he saw them I wouldn't care but i'm just not for going through phones in general, what's mine is mine and theirs, theirs.

• Nope. I mean playing games or watching videos, sure, but otherwise, no way! More because I use my phone A LOT for a lot of things. It's basically my personal computer and I can be a bit protective of it. I think, when it comes to my technology I like everything to be 'just so'. He can knick my food, take my seat, even borrow my stuff but my tech is mine.

• Yeah, I would let him use my phone/go through it.
    I think it would be cute if he can even answer some texts for me while I cook.

• Never done that, or will. Privacy is not only something important but needed. Does not mean having something to hide. Just respect.

• I don't like it. I like to set my boundaries. We respect each other's privacy.

• yeh i would be ok with that. i dont like the idea of sharing passwords tho

• Sure, I have nothing to hide. But he never would, and I would never look through his. It's called trust...

• You're not looking through each other's phones to check whether the other person is cheating or to see what they are saying to other people. It's just like you are sharing your phones. Like when you are busy, and you receive a text, he reads it for you and reply on behalf of you. Or he plays games on your phone, or maybe when he is driving you reply to whomever sends him a text. It's not at all about snooping around on each others phones or not trusting each other.

• Hmmm. I get what you are saying now; and I suppose we look through pictures that we've taken after a fun night out or something. But I wouldn't just pick up his phone to play games on it or anything. I would use mine. But if he wanted to glance over at my text messages as they came in, he could...

• Yeah sure. If he goes on my phone, he'll find puppy searches, twitter posts, beyonce music, and random technology questions that I can't figure out, "How do I get Microsoft Word to do _______". He'll quickly learn that going through my phone would be more boring and more trouble than it's worth. But of course, I'd always make it available to him if we were in a serious relationship.

• Yes, I have nothing to hide. He can look through it, if he wants to.

• I wouldn't have anything to hide but him wanting to go through it would make me think he didn't trust me. Which is a problem.

• maybe if we have been in a relationship for a while and really trust each other. but I hate people looking at my things in general..

• No they should trust you