Hanging out with my date's friends, how to deal with it?

I've been dating this guy for a few months now and he invited me to an event that he is going to attend with his friends this coming weekend. I'm a social person, but when it comes to new people it kind of depends on how they make me feel and if I can be myself with them or act a little quiet. The big problem though is that they all speak a different language (including the guy I'm dating). They do speak English, however, they are a group of friends who already know each other and are from the same country, why would they speak English just for me all the time when it's even the first time I see them? It would be no problem if he brought one friend only, but they will be a lot. I don't know how I will deal with it or act around them. I'm a little nervous that I will look ss left out or stupid while just remaining silent or not even understanding a word they say. Any tips on this? Any similar experiences? Much appreciated!

Most Helpful Guy

• I can't remember ever being extremely polite when speaking my native language infront of people didn't understand it especially when i am with friends, we always laugh at them and make fun of them sometimes even use some not so nice words, but hey we're all different.

What Guys Said 4

• Just bear through it and remember that you are doing this for the both of you.. I'm sure that that his friends will be receptive and not make the experience as stressful as you think. Reminds me of meeting a girlfriend's family for the fist time, just a different situation.

• don't sweat it. I lot of non-native English speakers enjoy practicing with an English speaker. Maybe have your friend teach you some formal greeting in their language. It is a sign of respect when you try to be cordial in their tongue. What language do they speak? I know how intimidating it can be but it can also be a lot of fun learning a new culture.

• You're from a different country, I don't think they would ridicule you. They probably will be told beforehand that your common language is English, and I'd think your boyfriend will have your back.

• I don't really like hanging out with my girlfriend's friends because I'm always really quiet and I find it hard to fit in. The best thing to do is just try and not be quiet and they will try to include you in their conversations, thus you will have a more enjoyable experience :)

What Girls Said 0