Are Girls intimidated by intelligence?

I have just received my Mensa certificate and I am just wondering if girls knew that their crush had that certificate would they lose interest?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sorry everyone's bashing you - this is a legit question, but it doesn't often come across very well. When I ask if people are intimidated by (women's) intelligence, it's both because I've heard men tend to be and because I need to be able to really relate to/communicate with the person I end up with (God willing), so I am trying to figure out the problem (s). People often assume I'm stuck up because I'm asking, but it's a question of communication. (It also really annoys me that men don't apparently consider intelligence a major factor in attractiveness the way women seem to, but that's another subject.)

As for me - I went to Harvard/am at Mensa level, thank God, and a loooot of people there have Mensa-level ability. It's nothing special to me: it's cool, but it's not amazing, if that makes sense. Short answer: I am not intimidated by intelligence except in a very few instances.

Most Helpful Guy

• So many answers.. no one will read this, but ok:
    Women like to be surprised. It's not about your IQ. It's how you present it to them. When you meet them, they should see you as a blank canvas. As you talk, you should be able to come up with different ways of thinking that they've never did, or be smart to antecipate what she's gonna say, and provide that opinion, so she can relate to it. So it's better to start off an a fool, and build up, rather than present a diploma, cause then, they'll expect that. And if you don't deliver (cause IQ doesn't measure social skills) they'll be disappointed.

What I said about the opinions, is also valid to solve daily problems. To come up with quick solutions. Even if they're basic cheats. Girls love a problem solver for everyday tasks.

As for the dipoma, hang it at your office, or your desk at home, don't actually mention it to girls.. Let them see it casually, like it's not a big deal.
    Cause like others said: that's more to impress employers, not girls. At least not at first anyway.

What Girls Said 54

• We're not intimidated by intelligence, but we do lose patience fast with pompous jerks. Humility is your friend.

• I'd feel a mix of pity and contempt, knowing you'd actually paid money for a "certification" to boost yr ego. #yougotgot #youvebeenhad

I mean, you COULD use that intellect to, like, go out and do things in the world.

Or you could pay money for meaningless "certificates" and masturbate to them.

Yr choice bud.

• He has clearly bought the certificate to intimidate women.

• Glad to amuse :)

• Hahaha nailed it!

• I guess everyone is different, but intelligence is actually such a turn on for me. Don't be afraid to let people know about your Mensa certificate, just please don't ever get cocky about it. Intelligence is a turn on, but only if it comes along with a person who is humble and kind as well. :)

• No I love intelligent men, especially those who love to deeply discuss all kinds of topics. I just don't like the type of guys who think they know better than you/everyone else. What certificate you have or don't have does not affect me what so ever. 💁🏽

• Only if the guy always tried to outsmart me or acted like a know it all always. Like if he acted like Sheldon from the big bang theory, not okay. Otherwise I think it would be really cool :)

• Nah. It's how he portrays his intelligence that might be a turn off. If he acts like a stuck up know-it-all, I have no interest in getting to know him better. And if he always takes the fun out of everything by correcting everyone and lecturing them every opportunity he gets, then that's a turn off as well.
    Intelligence isn't bad but if you have the social skills of a rock and feel the need to flaunt your intelligence 24/7, then nobody will ever find you interesting on a deeper level.

• I'm glad you asked this question because now the ridiculous girls asking this about guys can realize how silly they're being.

• I find intelligence extremely attractive and quite the turn on, actually. I enjoy conversation where a man can actually follow what I am saying. I'd rather be with someone who is intellectually stimulating rather than a man who just agrees with everything I say because he lacks the ability to understand what has come out of my mouth.

• Are guys intimidated by intelligence?

• I know plenty of people who are in Mensa - not the smartest tools in the shed... so... to answer your question - no, I wouldn't be intimidated.

• They're more likely to lose interest in a man that is completely unskilled socially. You can be smart as hell but if you can't hold a conversation with someone, you probably won't have much luck in dating.

• Intimidatedddd😒😞 ? More like a MAJOR turn on👾👾👾! It could intimidate some, but I wouldn't personally evade someone for that, more like stalk them and try make them mine*CardiB spin*FOREVAAAAAA lol.. I have a bad habit of saying anything just to listen to a smart guy talk. It's so lovely 😍😍😍f**k talking dirty, talk intelligent to me😉

• I like intelligence! But I am intelligent, but currently have nothing more note worthy to say on the subject!. Lol

• Intelligence is a plus. Arrogance is a minus.

• Are you going to frame it and carry it everywhere you go and never shut up about it? Because that would get annoying.

• Let's put it this way:

Brainless idiot - Not attractive.
    Jerk with big ego - Not attractive.

I would not date an idiot. I like smart guys. However, I do not like guys with egos who think they are smarter/better than eveyone else. A certificate? Sure, fine. Rubbing it in my face and making a big deal of it? See ya. I'm sure you are smart enough to figure out where that line is.

• No, I actually want my partner to be intelligent!
    I hate those people that are dumber than a can of corn.
    By the way, good job. ✊

• No intelligence is really attractive arrogance is not.

• What is a Mensa Certificate. Doesn't sound that impressive to me. Sounds kinda dumb actually.

• No way.. intelligence is a turn on.. 😉

• I'm not intimidated, I'm fascinated.

• Not by intelligence, buying a certificate to prove your IQ is nerdy and vain tho and that is a turn off

• Not really.

• of course they would

• No. I'm attracted to intelligence as well as other things. Just don't be arrogant about how smart you are/think you are.

• It's very attractive but if you brag about it it becomes a negative

• No? That's attractive

• Nope, not intimidated... but I keep my distance from those who brag about it.

• Hell No !!! I find intelligence to be sexy !!! I always have had boyfriends who are super smart otherwise I lose interest in them... Probably one of the reasons why I love Sherlock Holmes and Dr. House so much !!!

• ? wtf?

• More from Girls
    24

What Guys Said 39

• Generally girls seem to prefer guys who are smarter than they are. However if you're one of those arrogant or socially awkward boring types then that would probably turn them off more than your IQ.

While I do believe women value intelligence, I don't think any of them give a shit about a whether or not you have a Mensa certificate. They will most likely judge your IQ by how you carry yourself in conversations, how you express your ideas and what kind of decisions you make in your life.

• Well, you don't get one to impress girls... you get one to impress employers lol

• I have a close friend, member of Mensa, genius-level IQ and all that, and he's kind of a social disaster.

The problem is not his intellect, it's his conversation topics. He sits in the corner of the room in a party, unable to engage other people's interest. I sit by him and he wants to talk about topics like quantum physics and string theory and Kurzweil's wild prophecies like singularity.

I'm like, "we're at a party, I already had like 10 drinks, let's talk about that girl's butt over there. It's nice and round, see? The shape of her bum is appealing in a sexual kind of way. Let's look at that and talk about that."

So mostly I think he needs a bit of help in this sort of department. It's not necessarily that the intellect is a problem, it's that it's not being utilized towards just kind of down-to-earth things that helps him become more compatible and capable of connecting with plain old mortals, and mostly just having fun and a sense of humor.

Perhaps it's worth focusing a bit on that if you have any trouble meeting girls. I've never been much for small talk, also kind of come from an academic background, but have that playful side where I never take things too seriously which helps a bit.

• Intelligent girls like intelligence.

• Ah yes, friend. The FINAL test of Mensa: Will you actually pay money for someone else to give you a diploma that says you're a somewhat brighter cookie than average?

Your only issue is in how you present it (or if you do). Throughout my life I have never met a girl who did not appreciate intelligence. If you are are intelligent and that shows without having to shove a certificate up their nose, good for you! You just scored a few to a lot of extra points on the attractive scale. Depending on the girl.

I mean, I have a verified IQ of 153 with a top score of 158. So my point here is... It is bloody hard not to brag a little, but read what I just wrote again. It doesn't make me seem like a very fun person to be around, does it? Presentation.

• Depends on what you define as intelligence, and what type of women they are.

Some women play shit games. These games are to see how much bullshit they can get by you. Usually the more bullshit they can pass by you, the more they play the game with you. Often it is to gauge if she can get away with things with you.

If you are like me, and are meticulous in paying attention to detail, they will be scared shitless, because they won't be able to get away with any bullshit they try to run on you.

Some women that play this, will quit if she notices that she can't squeeze bullshit by me. Others will run for the hills (usually these type will be cheaters).

The thing is, it requires intelligence to be able to decipher if she is trying to run bullshit by you. And it is circumstantial to the individual as to her actions, when confronted with this type of intelligence.

So, not all women are afraid of intelligence.

Not all women appreciate it, either.

Individual circumstances.

• Oh nice bro you received you Mensa Certificate? You're afraid they might be too intimidated by your superb intelligence? That must be why you are not getting girls.. they all just too afraid of you brah.

• A woman probably wouldn't be intimidated, more likely she'd just be turned off. People generally view mensans as vain douchebags, and a lot of people who join don't maintain membership once they attend some events for the same reason. Flaunting IQ is in poor taste.

• It depends what kind of intelligence we are talking about here... are you a smart, intellecual person or school smart (as in study hard and can solve math and stuff with ease ) ?

Being smart and intellecual never really turned any girls off in fact they like it when the guy is smart and capable of thinking really important and deep stuff. Take me for instance am i school smart? in some subjects yes i excel, at math no i suck big time , but iam extremely deep when i want to , i can be vey intillegent and get even the smallest details and understand whats going on, i get it from the first time no reason to repeat it, basically with min information i can attempt to make my own assumtions and predictions which are usually true, also carcking jokes and being witty and cool under numerous situations shows how much intillegence you have since you are not stressed easily.

Is it intimidating for girls? yes of course, a normal or even smart girl will think you're quite smart and while its kinda tough for her to be on the same level as you she'll be thinking that you're not an everday dude and she should have you, so yes being smart is attractive.

Now dont mix school smart with normal smart they're different and serve different purposes, both are good and needed in life but chances are we only excel at one of them.

• Well, you're a smart guy, so let me explain what's going on in the world.

It is intimidating. Not just to girls, but also to ordinary people on the street. People don't like who's better than them, period. So, some girls might like it, I don't why but they like their men to be better than them, but it's not that great if you're Mensa smart. Just above the average street smarts is more like what they are talking about.

Plus, have you ever thought about why being "normal" is so important? Because, normal people (ordinary guy/girl on the street) boost each other, and they gain strength because there are many of them. Any divergence from the norm is not good if it's too big.

• Many men will come here and say you're butthurt, or that you don't get any girls because you think bein smart is cool. And they'll be right, because as ordinary people, they've been boosted by other ordinary people their whole life, whereas you have to question if being smart is essentially good. This is the way the world works.

• Most girls won't even know what a Mensa certification is, nor will they care. Just start talking to girls... If you are actually intelligent, you will likely have moments of discount with them. It's inevitable when having conversations with people that are several orders of IQ away from you. In person a lot of women think I'm very charming, but at times they just don't know what they hell I'm talking about even when I feel I have simplified it to numb skull level. You just have to smile and move on with the conversation and don't take yourself too seriously. They like intelligence, just realize that they likely will not get you at time.

• Lol whole lot of "yes" answers from the pink side.

Isn't part of the point of joining Mensa meeting similar people? Maybe date one of them.

• Maybe if you were constantly like did you know I'm in mensa, yes I am extremely intelligent. Also if you talked down like you were an authority figure I'm not saying you would but some smart guys at my school always act like cunts and talk to me like a baby.

• they say goo goo ga ga to you?

• Grades prove obedience, effort, and memory skills they do not prove intelligence but you are right I don't know you.

• @Nicolás25 I don't think it's just memory skills maths is something where you have to learn the methods and apply it and for computer programming you gotta be at least average intelligence to get a C.

• You're so smart for buying that cute little certificate no one cares about lol. Do you masturbate to your Mensa certificate?

• I think they're more intimidated by social retardation.

• Maybe a little but if you can add a little hummor to how smart you are it might lessen the initial intimidating factor.

• Mensa certificate for what? For the most misunderstanding person in the world or the most misunderstood person in the world?

• Having a certificate doesn't mean you are intelligent..

.. and not realizing such an obvious thing, you clearly aren't.

• What people generally mean when they say intelligence is attractive is that they don't like the socially, emotionally, or mentally retarded. Most don't care much about sheer academic ability if you can converse intelligently and behave yourself.

• yes. they are. to attract them, you have to be dumb as possible.

• I had a 2270 in my sat, even the American nationality students sitting in the top courses of mit have in the range of 2100-2300 and i dont go about bragging about my intelligence or think of myself as intimidating, ur iq test is no big deal tbh

• Only girls not worth having, find intelligence as intimidating or as a turn off.

• Girls are indeed intimidated by intelligence.

They are also intimidated by strength and by a very appealing personality.

Girls love being intimidated by the right guy but hate it in someone they detest.

It's unrelated to their attraction to the person.

• How difficult was that Mensa test? I might take it at some point, but I haven't done a lot of studying in years. I'm mostly skilled in logic and psychology, but I know math pretty well. Is there any advanced trig on the test?

• lol Nevermind. I did a practice test and it's mostly just advanced logic and word problems. I could totally do this at some point... but the fucking WORD SCRAMBLES man... I can't get my head around those

• If a Mensa certificate suggests that your smart, why the dumb-ass question?

• Good rule of thumb.

Being eligible for Mensa is impressive.
    Being in Mensa is pretentious.

• nope

• What would a Mensa certificate have to do with intelligence?

• Girls don't care about intelligence one way or another.

• I think being smart is sexy. just be humble. and use the smarts to get a decent job, girls like that lol. they like security. being safe, being okay. use your smarts to turn her on.

• NOBODY is intimidated by intelligence - and that's a fact!

• More from Guys
    9