Why would a beautiful girl ever be insecure about her looks?

I complimented a woman today and said she looked beautiful, because she is. She said she was flattered because she's insecure about her looks. I just don't get it.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Because people tend to be their own worst critics, with beautiful girls not being exempt from this.

The more beautiful you are, the higher the expectations people will have of you. The more people expect of you, the harder on yourself you'll generally be in an effort to uphold these expectations.

What Guys Said 10

• There's many jealous bitches that attack her. Girls do that, I've seen it numerous times IRL and on gag!

• Almost every one is insecure over their looks. Judging from what I've been told, I range from ok (somewhat believable) to handsome (lies probably). So I just safely assume I'm below average. A 4 or something like that.

• It's a defense mechanism. A woman who is not insecure about her looks will be taken down by other women. She'll be called a bitch and abandonned by her friends in an instant. Don't believe me? Try leaving a comment here saying you look good.

• People now think hot chicks are stuck up automatically and criticize em on everywhere where as not so attractive get praised because they assume they are easier lol. Glee fukd this up, Fuking nerds. Smh

• a lot of people are insecure and an open compliment won't help.
    Usually if you approach them not directly, go to something beside them and pretend you're just now seing them and compliment them. but make it fast and quiet.

a person who is insecure if you say it from a distance because then people will start looking at them and they will feel really uncomfortable.

• Upbringing plays a huge part. If a child feels invisible, unheard, neglected growing up, they tend to think lower of themselves as an adult. I believe children NEED attention and support, it's not a "want", it's a necessity for growth.

• Because most look beautiful because of makeup. They know they are ugly AF without it.

• I think some people just feel that way at times, never hurts to say something nice to somebody. The world has enough negativity the way it is.

• Because of stupidty. Very simple.

• All they want is love and to be loved.

What Girls Said 9

• So by most I am considered to be beautiful. Wherever I go, I get compliments on both my facial features and my fashion sense. However, I am very insecure about my looks! I can't see myself as a whole. I have to pick out individual features that I don't like. For me, it's always that my eyes are close-set and my nose is prominent. However, other people don't see me as that. They see me as "beautiful", while I fail to see myself that way.

• Insecurities don't discriminate. Even the most talented, intelligent and beautiful people can feel insecure. And that's what makes them human.
    I'd even argue that those who are beautiful/talented/intelligent etc feel like they're under a microscope. Like people are constantly looking for their flaws and waiting for them to slip up because they can't believe how "perfect" they seem.

• Neither do they... No one gets it. It's something that's developed through time and depends on society they live in...

• Self esteem comes from how someone views themselves, not how they are viewed by the world.

• She probably was bullied or traumatised for being called ugly or had stupid degenerste boyfriends making her feel worthless

• She might have been a toad when she was younger and made fun of because of it, then at some point puberty decided to bless her ass, but she stills holds the insecurities/insults in her mind that she received during her toad years.

• We are our own worst critic.

• Maybe they were considered the "ugly" or "fat" one when they were younger and now that they've grown up and gotten more attractive, they don't know how to react to compliments and still suffer from the insecurities they had when they were younger.

• Probably doesn't get much attention.