Is this a normal brother/sister relationship?

My boyfriend (nearly 19) and his sister (16) are extremely close to the point it annoys me. Most of the time it's just them at home as their mother stays with her boyfriend a lot so his sister cooks for him, cleans up after him, does his washing etc. They have endless nick names for each other, they watch tv together at night while she's wearing short shorts and crop tops. He picks her up or Puns her down and tickles her silly. One minute she's bossing him around the next he's treating her like a baby. I'm also pretty certain she doesn't like me. Is this normal behaviour? I'm an only child so a bit unsure

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a bit unusual bit I don't think it's abnormal. Being an only child, I could see how you would feel uncomfortable with it. What matters most is how your boyfriend feels about you. You're dating him, not her. What makes you think she doesn't like you?

• She ignores me when I'm there, I try have conversations with her and she gives me blunt answers. I get dirty looks off her too

• She's 16. Give her time.

• Yeah your right

What Guys Said 9

• Meh, sounds normal to me. Most people don't have a great relationship with their siblings. My sister and I would do most of this stuff. Siblings are the only people your age who you can truly relax around if they're the opposite sex. It makes sense to make the most of it.

• They aren't the same age though

• I just meant close enough to relate and have an equal relationship. No cultural barriers should have to be explained between them. A 10 year difference or something and one ends up being the kid and the other the adult. If we're being technical nobody is exactly the same age. They're close enough.

• Eh, nothing really wrong with that.

• Yeah... It's normal.

Swap the word "sister" for "little brother", and it pretty much sounds like how I mess around with my baby bro when we were young.

• I saw one case and heard of a few others about brothers/sisters falling in love (I know it's sick), but it's very rare. you're probably just jealous he gives her more attention

• You haven't mentioned human contact, resting heads or legs/arms touching and playful or flirty hitting would be weird, however if they keep their distance and occasionally hug then i think thats ok.

• The only time I've ever seen them hug was the two times she's been crying. She jokingly hits him sometimes, I'm not sure if that's considered flirting

• Sounds like they're really close nothing wrong.

• Yeah but maybe too close

• Myself I couldn't attract to my own relatives no matter how hard I tried. I would imagine that most people are probably the same way but I can't speak for them I don't know.

• I don't feel they are attracted to each other

• think about Angelina and her brother lol

• As long as the relationship doesn't look like a scene from The Dreamers by Bernardo Bertolucci, I think it's OK.

• Sounds kinda normal to me. Although my sister doesn't really clean after me or anything like that. Im older so i do most of the cooking and stuff. But yes i tickle her and she always hugs me and stuff. We can do stuff together like watch videos on her iPad and stuff.

• How old is she? Is there a big age gap between yous? I know a few brothers with much younger sisters who give them silly names and tickle them and watch tv with them etc

• I wouldn't worry about it. Some siblings are close. I would be worried if they were like really close like take showers together or something like that which goes too far.

• Yeah I suppose, they don't shower together so could be worse haha!

What Girls Said 15

• That's completely normal... Some siblings are just (luckily) more close to each other than others, which is not surprising since they've grown up with each other since birth. Everything you said, bossing around, treating like a baby, nicknames, play fighting and tickling is all completely normal in a sibling relationship.
    Her choice of clothing is completely irrelevant, my bro walks around in his boxers sometimes as does my dad even. Do I get turned on? Hell fucking no! Brothers are the same about their sisters, they do not get turned on by their sibling. It's just simply not the same as seeing the opposite sex who isn't related to you. I walk around in booty shorts and crops at home all the time, basically what I sleep in. My brother doesn't give two shits.

Now if they were flirting, that would be a different story, but it seems like they are not.

• There is no attraction at all between then, and as far as I know he doesn't walk around in just his boxers purposely when she's around. It's just her who goes about in barely any clothes, while they joke about and what not

• Its extremely normal. They are each others support system and siblings can be very close when the parent is absent often. I know this from experience... lived on a farm. I did the washing, my sister did the cooking and my brother did the outside jobs. We would slumber over in each others room, watched the same tv from the same couch, play fought and when we were out and about... always checked in on each other.

Sounds like you have some trust issues as you appear to be jealous of your boyfriend and his sister.

• There are no trust issues or no jealousy. I just find their relationship very odd as I've never known a brother or sister to be so close. I'm glad my boyfriend gets on well with his sister, I would much rather have it this way than he hated his sister.

• I mean as teens to be honest not really if she was a little younger then yes, it's a tad immature but then again they're siblings.

• To me it's not usual but it's not unusual.

Siblings are a tricky thing. We grow up in a close environment and they can annoy you or you can be very close.

They sound close to me. Granted closer than me and mine but I don't think it's unusual.

• I think she is more open with him than he is with her but yeah they are very close. I put that down due to the fact the only people at home are the two of them pretty much and it has been that way for almost 2 years. It still feels like a strange relationship between them to me though

• I get what your saying, they don't have a dad, he didn't die though but he did leave when they were both school aged so that's probably brought them closer together too.
      I'm glad you get on with your brother, sounds like yous are pretty close 😊

• It's probably more likely that. They came together for support, probably spend a lot of time hiding from arguments together. You'll be okay

• Some people have feelings for their cousin. Never heard of brother and sister, they could orrrr.. Maybe they just care that much for each other, and she doesn't want u to steal her brother away. I don't do NONE of that with my brother. That's weird.. Ill clean his room only if my mom tell me to.

• She relies on him a lot emotionally so I think you could be right, she sees me as a threat. I'm trying to win her over but she's a tough nut to crack

• Damn, Good luck

• That does not sound normal but there are families who walk around naked in front of each other. Does the sister date?

• Yeah she does, she brings different guys home all the time sometimes more than one at a time

• I'm not even sure, a bit of both I think. She has "friends" that are guys but she's slept with them.

• It's sounds like your ok.

• Yup it's normal. I'm the exact way with my big brother but it's because he's also like my best friend. We share everything and for once, I can be around a guy without wondering if he'll hit on me.

• "they watch tv together at night while she's wearing short shorts and crop tops
    This one sounds inappropriate.

• Nope. Her clothes are irrelevant. They are whatever she normally wears to chill at home.

It would only be weird if her privates were exposed.

• @TwistedLogic haha, I was being honest. : )

• He's definitely not attracted to her and he doesn't touch her innapropriatly or anything like that when she's wearing shorts and crop tops. I just feel it's a bit odd that she's comfortable wearing that around her brother

• Sounds kind of creepy to me lol but I'm not very close with my brother so I don't know.

• Yeah it creeps me out a bit too, I didn't think many sisters acted like that with their brothers

• She's fond of his ex girlfriend so I think that's why she doesn't like me. Spoke to my boyfriend about it earlier and he's going to speak to her about it.

• Oh okay cool!

• Its very unnormal

• I'd say the realsuonship is put to an extreme due to the fact that their mother isn't around much, they look out for each other a lot and probably wouldn't be so close in different circumstances tbh. I can totally see why it's of putting but I doubt that they see it as abnormal and it would be weird if they where like attracted to each other

• Yeah I think your right, they aren't attracted to each other so nothing to worry about I just think it's odd

• There mom doesn't pay enough attention to them so yeah but u should try to hang out with her so u can be friends

• I've been trying to be her somewhat friend for nearly 6 months, she's a tough nut to crack. But no I agree her mum doesn't pay her enough attention

• Totally normal, but that boy is spoooiled and will probably expect you to do all that stuff for him without any gratitude (because he sees it as the norm). Unless he does something for her and they're just exchanging chores, of course. Then he'll prob be awesome!

• She's just one of clean freaks, everything has to be done a certain way. He's fairly particular as well with cleaning/tidying etc. He drives her around, the stay quite a bit out of town so she uses him as her taxi service.

• Sounds good then :)

• Yes this is perfectly normal !

• Are they related?

• Yeah, same mum and dad.