Guys? Would you avoid dating a woman just because they have a child?

Imagine there's this girl who's really nice and respectful, and things go well every time you set up a date. But then, you find out that she has a son. She isn't talking to his dad, and she doesn't depend on baby daddy for anything. What would you do?

• Run for the hills! I don't need baby mama drama!
  • Depends...
  • I would stay with her.. just cause she had a child doesn't make her a bad person.
This went pretty much how I expected it to be...
This makes me so glad that I'm not trying to date anybody. I

Most Helpful Guy

• If I thought she was awesome, then why wouldn't her son be too! As long as he was a good kid, then that would not be something that would deter me from seeing her.

• Thanks for MHGuy... I guess some guys would not be interested, but a guy who understands the situation would not have issue with someone else's child in the picture. After all, moms are hot too!

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 26

• Im currently going through that. I've always said that if someone has a child i might date them, but i'd never marry them. the girl im currently with, is making me Seriously reconsider that.

• In my family there it happened 2 times and 2 times it worked (with an aunt and a cousin), so I have reasons to believe that a son wouldn't be a problem, of course it can be dealt with. I wouldn't avoid it.

• Having a kid means you are both dating and adopting at the same time.

• At my age, I'd run. What 18-20 y/o woman has a baby because she wants to? Almost none.
    So a girl that's a mom at my age is a HUGE red flag.
    I may consider it in the future, but right now, no. Plus, I can't deal with kids so young.

• Providing she was open to the idea of having more children then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• it depends a great deal on why the situation is what it is.

• To be honest at my age the women I would be dating are more likely to have kids that not have kids.

• i'd avid it. i'm 22. there are probably way hotter chicks and i'm young enough to find another girl without kids. plus i won't have to be competing with the kid or kids

• I never understood guys who say this (having to compete with the child). Personally, I'd much rather date a guy who puts his kid first. Shows he's a good dad.

• Okay. I'm not going to sit here and try to change your opinion. My whole point in posting this question was to see just how true the stereotypes were against single moms. I'm a single mom, but I haven't even tried talking to other guys cause I pretty much know what'll happen.
      At the end of the day, it's my bad decision. Now I must suck it up and live with it.

• there's someone for everyone and no doubt someone will come your way... just look at half the dudes that answered. i just personally wouldn't cause there are other options. why be with a girl who's strapped down to a child when there are significantly more girls who don't have children and i can form my own organic relationship with? and like i said, i'd start a family when i'm finally settled. fuck, i just graduated from college and fucking broke. i'm in no position to where i might have to not only pay for myself, and not only probably some of the girl's shit, but also probably help pay for a kid... like i said, i'm broke as is...

• whats with the issue with that? they are afraid to be called "DADDY" or whatever? some women dont want that, its a package deal. You deal with it.

• In most cases it would be a dealbreaker, she would have to be really compelling for me to be okay with it.

• No.

Having a kid doesn't mean she's a bad person, but it does mean she's definitely not what I am looking for.

• I would never date a single mom

Almost all the girls from my high school are getting pregnant, feel bad cuz their life is practically over

• I would say yes if it was me, but I think is has more to say about the age of the man you are dating and if he have kids of his own. Then he might be more interested in dating some one with kids.

• So long as I'm not dealing with drama with baby daddy, I can deal with a child

If I'm dating a woman with a child, my optimum is younger age 3-7. Anything over that may have me dealing with separation bitterness

• yes I would. I don't need a child at this point in my life

• Lol, I expected that. I'd hope that no one would try to get with a 15 year old boy and expect him to be a dad. ( Unless if he's the dad... but either way that's a little messed up...)

Besides, in the States where I live you have to be 16 to consent, so yeah...

• Truuuuu

But even if I were like in my twenties I'd prefer the child to be my own, whether my wife gave birth or we simply adopted

• no, why would this even matter

• Almost 95% of the times yes

She would have to be remarkable to be in that 5%

• No. Especially no if she's NOT a widow.

• Nope 💁

• I wouldn't avoid it. If you like her then her child is a part of her life. Wouldn't bother me.

• I don't want the responsibility that comes with having a child. So I probably wouldn't date her.

• I'm dating a woman who is a single mom. It isn't that bad.

• I would, I don't have a probably depending where the father is. Anyway I want to have kids so bad!!! I want a daughter to read comics with dress up as superheroes... Or villains, go on adventures.

• Run
    Away

• Yes because at any given moment she could patch up things with the child's father and just leave me

• If it is a son I'll be ok, but a daughter fuck no.

What Girls Said 2

• Kids are awesome but in my experience guys think having a kid means they don't get to spend as much time with you/get less attention from you because you need to focus on your kid all the time.

• I don't care if the guy I'm dating has kids or not. But if he has a child and does not supports the kid emotionally and financially; that's a red flag for me.