Is it ok for an 18 year old to date a 14 year old?

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Guy

• It's just a four year difference. It's like a freshman dating a senior in highschool. Go hop on some 18 year old D.

Most Helpful Girl

• Like yes and no. I mean for peat sake they're both in high school dating is just dating. However 4 years I a large age gap and they're at different development stages. I feel like the 18 yr old could be using the 14 yr old but even if they're not and its not about sex soon enough (s) he will be off to college and (s) he'll still be stuck in high school more than like the 18 yr old will move on.

I don't feel like it's horrible and like it's impossible to work but I do think that it's simply the best to avoid it.

What Guys Said 42

• Honestly I have doubts when you are teens 4 years is a very big gap. Leaving aside the legal issue, you are both at different developmental stages of your life.

• Where about in Ireland are you from? I have family in Limerick and Donegal, do you know these areas?

• @warren18 I am in Dublin - I would know of the area Limerick and Donegal but not know them well

• Fuuuuck no.

14 is still a kid basically.

• nope it's not. at least in america i don't know a state where that isn't statutory rape plus outside of the law it's just pretty creepy

• You're kind of assuming dating = sex. Going to a movie isn't statutory rape.

• @zagor if an 18 year old is going to movies with a 14 year old there is still something wrong with that situation. my opinion is that there should be little in common between a middle schooler and a college age or high school graduate?

• When I was 17 (HS Sr) I had a major crush on a freshman girl - 14.

I was shy so nothing ever came of it...

• Too big of an age gap, plus, one's an adult, the other one isn't.

• Na 14 that's illegal in most countries for a reason.

• No it's not, not only can he get in serious trouble from being with you but it's just not morally right I mean 14 is barely even a teenager it's practically being a kid to be honest. Your at two different points in your life he's an adult your not, just so many things can go wrong.

• Where I live I've seen this happening and it's legal, most people just don't care much about it since the gap is just 4 years. So, here it's okay, I don't know if it is legal or considered okay where you live though, so... be careful.

• No that is incredibly creepy. You have to think about the mindset of a man who would want to do that.

• It depends on what you mean by "date." Four years may not seem like a big difference once both are in their 20's, but at your age that amount is almost 30% of your life experience. That's a little bit much at your age.

• Depends what you mean by ok, ethically it's debateable, legally however it's probably not in most places 18 is age of majority so your still considered a minor by law I wouldn't do anything romantically with an adult. Your just looking for trouble.

• In this country, yes; in certain countries, nope

• probably not a good idea

• Typical anime plot

• Wait until you're 16.

• Yeah it's perfectly fine, age doesn't matter in a relationship

• Nope, VERY much illegal in America.

• An 18 year old boy has no business wanting to date a 14 year old. To be blunt, he only wants you for sex because you're tight.

• It depends. 18yrold girl dating 14 yrold guy? Sure.

18yrold guy dating 14yrold girl? Bit creepy.

• No that's not ok. If anything happens it'll be considered statutory rape

• No. That's wrong. An adult shouldn't date a 14 year old.

• No. Something is off with an 18 year old guy wanting to date a 14 year old girl.

• So long as you're not having sex

Otherwise it's statutory... at least in America

• Not really

14 yr olds are freshmen men and women

18 yr olds are adults

• It's most likely it's illegal in your state

• I guess not

• Not really, no. And definitely no sex because it would be statutory rape.

• Yes the mental maturity gap between a 14 year old world and an 18 year old world is too much.

• Nope, that's pedo level.

• only if you fuck her, not date

• Yes when they turn 16

• More from Guys
    12

What Girls Said 20

• No, it isn't. The 18 year old is an adult, the 14 year old is not. Period. End of story. No wiggle room.

• At 14 you're still a child, when you're 18 you're a young adult. Maybe then you're 5-10 years older it'll work out…

• It's ILLEGAL

• NOPE. I am 20 and I would never date anyone younger than 18 it's creepy and wrong. I don't get how an 18 year old could even be attracted to a 14 year old! 14 year olds are kids!

• Legally, no. There is the whole minor adult issue, but really no one would arrest anyone. Are both parents okay with it? Yes, than go for it. No, than is it work risking jail? And is sex involved, because that's still rape, regardless if you are willing. You're a minor. And if you get pregnant and have the baby, there's gonna be a lot of courthouse visits. My mom had my sister when she was 14 and my dad was 18. She had me when she was 16 and my dad was 21. A lot of courthouse crap. A lot.

• My cousin is currently going to court because he thought it was okay for an 18 year old to date a 14 year old. Don't do it just for legal reasons. In addition to that you change SO much in those 4 years. It may not seem like it at first but you're at two very different stages in your lives. I personally wouldn't do it.

• No, no, no, no, no, no NOOOOO
    And I am disgusted that 16% (so far) of people said yes.
    A 18 year old adult, male or female, should not want to be with a 14 year old.

I turned 14 in the eight grade (middle school) and I just recently left my eighteenth year. A college student should not want a middle schooler. In anyway.
    Even if it's legal in some countries that doesn't make it right.

The difference in development at those ages is tremendous.

• definitely not

• Aww hell no. It isn't right any way you look at it.

• I don't see anything wrong with it. when i was 14 i dated a guy who was 18 when we started going out, but just know that its illegal in some countries

• no girl... no
    after school just go back home jeezz

• Personally I would say yes. But I don't think most people will agree with that

• No no no no no please no. That's how I got raped. Dating a guy that was too old. No please just no.

• No, you didn't get raped because he was old, that implies older men are rapists.

• I agree you certainly have to look out and be on your guard of older men who show an interest in much younger women - been there myself, the way you phrased it though...

• yuuu I am sry that happened to you :(

• No that's strange. Wait until you're both in your twenties.

• No it is not

• Nope its not... isn't it illegal. Anyway you are legal and he isn't so... I am dating a guy 5 years older but I am 17 (18 in 2 weeks)

• Nope, it's not.

• I wouldn't think so. 14 is so underdeveloped still. In some countries it's 18+ for someone 18 and older to date another one 18 and older. Some countries it's 16 or 17.

• Depends on the country. Check if its legal. If it is, its okay if you ask me.

• That's a bit weird...