93% of the women in the audience thinks men should pick up the check. Amen!!! what do you think?

As a woman, I love to feel protected and also like take care of my man.

• Steven is right!!! Guys need to man up and pick up the bill !!!
  • No just nooo.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I respect steve for that

• Respect him for what, spreading a message about assholes?

• @Girl_Scout I did a project on this in my psychology class and have done extensive research on this topic. Well I am from an upper-class family and my dad is a dentist. I will not have to worry about broke guys in the future so this debate is pretty worthless. But every woman in American don't have the luxury to choose I guess.

• I don't even know what you're trying to say here. You obviously didn't pay much attention in class of that's what you believe... but whatever, have fun with your middle class husband and your middle class life. I'm quite sure you will get everything your little heart desires. What you've obviously been bred for.

What Guys Said 31

• Steve is an arrogant, dogmatic piece of shit that has the look of a comedian and capitalized on it.

Amen? Looks like he's preaching to the choir. Most of his viewers are Bible thumping single mothers who don't know a good man if he slapped their fat faces with his dick.

• As a guy, I feel I shouldn't be obligated to pay. However, as a guy, I will most likely feel the want to pay out of a sign of courtesy... much like holding a door open for someone else or opening the car door for a date. It is a sign of respect in my opinion.
    Respect isn't free to everyone though. If the date was rude and just overall a mean person to be around, chances are I'm not gonna be paying a meal for them.

If I pay, it will be myself wanting to do it out of a thanks for the date. (If they would feel uncomfortable about me paying for them I would naturally let them pay, but I'd still offer).

After a certain point in a relationship (when it starts to really something more) however, I would believe it would become more so as a turn based system so the guy isn't just paying over and over.

• Fuck that. Id rather be dingle than date a girl who thinks like that. I shouldn't have to pay for the priveledge of her company just because Im a guy. Either she's interested in getting to know me or she isn't. If she wants a free meal she can find someone else.

Its really funny too because I bet a lot of the girls who expect the guy to pay for all the dates have spread their legs for guys they just met at clubs and parties who didn't spend a dime on them. Id hate to be the guy who is always paying for dates and waiting a month for sex only to find she slept with random guys at the club after only knowing them for a few hours.

• The 2nd girl stage right loves the smell of her own farts. Young, beautiful women are probably the last people to trust in having an objective opinion about dating.

• @DasVoz
      I dont think average looking women are much better :/

• 93% of men think if I say make me a sandwich and give me a blowjob, a woman should woman up, and do it, after all, this is 1950 and the man controls the woman :)

• Nope, to me that is a bunch of women that want modern ways of thinking when it suits them and old traditional ways of thinking when it suits the female gender and not prepared to do anything for men.

• Meh I personally like to pay, but I think being expected to is unbecoming and I know it's not an attitude anyone I would date or have dated has had. Mainly because it's a selfish attitude to expect these things.

• 1) This is Steve Harvey's show. Steve Harvey is a white knight that loves to pander to insecure women.
    2) The audience is filled with losers. These are women who have failed in relationships and go to him for help, just to hear him say "You are right, the guy was an asshole, you deserve better, you're awesome"

3) I'll pick up the bill only if she proves that she has earned my respect. I'm not cheap but I see spending money on someone as a sign of having a connection with someone. I would not pay or loan money to just anyone. That person must prove to me that they're worth it.

Or this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pirSM5IjosY

• "Guys need to man up and pick up the bill !!!" Nope, guys are men whether anyone likes it or not.

Men work for their money, same do women. Why should one pay for the other? I'm a firm believer of 50/50 being the default option. If I feel like taking the girl for a treat, then I'll pick up the bill and not expect anything in return. But a girl that expects me to pay the bill might as well go find someone else.

So consider the hypothetical scenario of a man who's trying to find a wife. He will keep taking all these girls on dates until he finds one that he wants to have a serious relationship with. By the time he finds the suitable girl, how much would he have paid by then sorting through the other girls? That's just a waste of hard earned money. Each person should pay for his/herself.

• 93% of those women wouldn't be happy with me. They'd be missing out tremendously lol

• His audience? No surprise they don't accept we live in a new millennium

• Oh the term "man up." Picking up the check is "being a man" I see. If you care about her, you'll foot all the bills. Love is money. Alright

This is where MGTOW comes from. This is also where the spoiled, entitled brats come from. I've heard one too many times from women that "If he doesn't spoil you, he doesn't want you." Screw that. If you love me, you wouldn't want me blazing all my money on shoes, purses and bullshit

Women want traditional values only when it benefits them.

What the hell do WOMEN bring to the table?

I've payed for every bill on our dates with my girlfriend. We just haven't been out on a lot of them. If she expects more dates, she's about to start pitching in

• I think they should, but I'm from a different era. Women have made it clear they want to be equals, so why not share expenses?
    Women only want equality when it benefits them, everywhere else they want special treatment. Feminine imperative.

• As much as I hate to agree... I do.
      Feminists in particular I notice that trend with.

Personally, I disagree, since I'd never act that way.. but as a whole, I'd be shocked if what you said wasn't true lol

• Yea I pay most of the time but every once in a while I like her to treat and take me out. I feel nothing is wrong with that.

• and also 93% of them are probably for equality between men and women. while there are some natural differences between men and women we have to take care off, paying the bill on the first date isn't part of that.
    that makes 93% of them hypocrites

• I don't think men should be obligated to pay, but at the same time I think men should always pay for the first date.

It's just good dating strategy.

• See, this is part of why you girls get asks on coffee dates and bought a $4 cup of coffee instead of dinner.

Women aren't ladies anymore but still expect men to be gentlemen.

• seriously who gives a shit

cheap ass people

• I'm all about going dutch, so there is no pressure on anyone. 👌

• No, we pick the check up because we want to, not because we feel that we should. If I find that a girl EXPECTS an act of goodwill, sorry, not for me. Materialist bitch.

• I won't pay for the date. I want a girl who can contribute and be an equal. I don't want to take care of her like she is a child. She's not useless.

• And there's always some fool whos willing to cover all her bills, especially if she's attractive

• If I ask a girl on a date, I'll pay, but if she asks me, we're at least splitting. If she gets mad at the suggestion, I know I don't want to see her again.

• I'm looking for a partner, not someone to take care of. Pull your damn weight

• Yes it's part of being a "MAN"!!!

• Ha. No way. I ain't paying $40 when I only had a glass of water.

• On first date, yes but second date i prefer split money

• Go Deutsch if it's casual.

• Nope nope. Women have wanted men to share benefits in everything except dating. How selfish is that?

• As long as they believe in ALL traditional roles including the womens roles then it's fine. At least they're consistent with their belief system which I can respect even if I disagree with it. It's the feminists that want men to pay that I hate because they want equality when it suits them but then are totally cool with 1950s standards when it works in their favor. It's hypocritical and nothing on this planet is as pathetic as a hypocrite

• I also love how most of the people who are for this mindset were single while those that were against it were in relationships except for the one ultra 1950s lady who's a stay at home mom.

Frankly if a woman expects a man to pay for the first date because of gender then I'll pay because they'll need that money for their taxi ride home cause their ass is not getting back in my car.

• How's that feminism working out for you ladies? All the benefits and none of the responsibilities, I see. Equality my ass.

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 26

• That's ridiculous.
    You realize that this tradition came from a time when women were not even legally able to work, and so were basically dependent on their husband to be the main/sole breadwinner, yeah?

I enjoy when my boyfriend picks up the bill on special occasions like my birthday/anniversaries, but I'd otherwise prefer to pay for myself. We have similar incomes and expenses, so I'm not going to believe that there should be equality between men and women, yet demand that he pay for my meal despite my being equally capable of that.

• I'm not sexist, so I do not believe in "being a man and paying the check." Ha... I'm sorry, do penises spit out money or did I miss some kind of memo?

If you are an adult, independent woman, you should be mature enough to not assume gender of all things (whatever happened to the equality movement?) suggest that you are obligated to abide by social norms that have no logic. Anybody who values equality and themselves will not use that excuse.

Now, if a guy insists, that's fine, but don't run around saying: "I got a pussy, pay for my shit!" Because it's old, it's immature, and it's sexist and unbecoming.

That's all I have to say on this ridiculous subject.

• Do you tip your waitress and hairdresser for their service? Why? Because it is a sign of respect. As women, we are biologically wired to feel the need to be protected and supported by males. That's why god created men to be stronger and taller. It is just a nice gesture that should be appreciated. Nothing sexist about expecting men to pay.

• @sparkly-crystal I don't think that anything you do by choice needs to be paid for. Because it's a CHOICE. You CHOSE to do it. Once you choose to do something you surrender your rights to be owed something unless you sign a contract stating: you must reimburse me for x, y, and z. Tell that to any modern guy and see how quickly he calls you back. But again, turn the tables: does a woman need to pay a man for the effort he puts into his appearance? What if he saved to have a nice car? Or a nice suit? Or to pay for all of those shopping sprees he had to get a fancy degree? Why does the woman have no responsibility? Because she has a vagina and God said so? Give me a break. N

There might be people out there who will happily pay you like an escort but they are rare finds my friend and most of them will treat you like an escort. I was raised to be an independent individual who didn't assume that gender dictated who owed me what.

• Honestly this is pointless because my opinion won't waver, it is simply as follows:

True equality = no gender specific standards or expectations by defintion

However, in the event that a man wants to pay, that is fine. I just believe it is wrong to assume that because he is male that is obligated to as that is presumptuous and makes virtually no sense especially if the woman is independent and reasonably well off.

Again, however: if you happen to meet somebody who agrees with gender roles and stereotypes and that is what you want for your life then it is fine for you to go about rocking that relationship. But I don't believe it's a fair expectation to say "men should always pay" rather "I prefer men who pay for x, y, and z reason" because at least then I could respect how the person felt about it.

That's all I have to say on the subject.

• Split the check.
    First of all, I don't understand why men have to pay? Yes its gentleman like but shouldn't women return the kindness and manners? Its also super cliche and traditional and I think its time to break tradition a bit. Mix things up. I think the girl and the boy should have equal privileges and splitting the check meets those needs.
    But I find it wonderful for a guy to insist upon paying for it, i'd give him a hard time about it and say "No, I refuse, lets just pay together!". I might even do the same, but if the guy is rude and goes to the bathroom while the check is coming or quickly accepts my offer to pay without giving it a thought or hesitating, the second date will NOT come, and i'd expect guys to have the same mindset if a woman accept as rudely.

• I do like for a guy to pay for most of the date. Mainly because the guys I usually date have jobs and I'm a student. I don't have much money and he did invite me out after all. Also, I feel like if he really wanted to impress me he'd pay, so there's that aspect too.
    Usually when I go on dates he will pay for the meal or activity and I'll try and make up for it and pay for his drinks or something. It's sort of meeting halfway

• I am cheap. I hate spending money. The cheap Dutch side of me would love him to pick up the check every time.

But the part of me who makes... significantly more than him... feels bad and picks up the check.

My boyfriend is an RA. It's a job that pays, but not like a REAL job. And it's only for the school year. He makes, in the 9 months he's at school, what I make in 1 month of working.

So... it really wouldn't make sense for me to expect him to pay every time, now would it? :p

• You made it quite clear you make more than him

Thats really besides the point, even if he makes more doesn't mean you suck him dry for that

• you hate spending money on a dinner date? wow you must be cheap AF

• @PizzaGuy22 I hate spending money on everything lol gas, clothes, school, pets...

• No way. On today's economy, it is rude and selfish to expect a nnan to pick up the tab, especially if you aren't exclusive yet. You're both potentially dating others, how is it fair? I either pay half outright or pay for drinks or whatever after dinner.

In a relationship, we have turns. It's his turn next time :)

• I believe taking turns or splitting the bill is most appropriate.

• They should. Some of the guys on GAG don't respect women so they will disagree with Steve who treats his wife like a Queen.

• So if I don't pick up the bill, I don't respect you? How do you show respect towards men, then?

• Notice how your reply has nothing to do with my rebuking your argument. Eh, I guess that's too much to expect from you.

Nice cherry picking. Summarize me on an atypically pernicious forum post like a shallow minded dullard. Do you chase shiny objects too?

• @DasVoz Perhaps you can't read? You spoke of someones record and I used yours as an example.

"Nice cherry picking. Summarize me on an atypically pernicious forum post like a shallow minded dullard. Do you chase shiny objects too?"

Oh wait you were just playing dumb. Now you're proving to be a hypocrite. It's okay for you to attack someones past in order to make a presumption on the persons present life but when someone calls you out on your present history you can't handle it and call foul. I knew you couldn't handle it. If I may borrow a sentence, "Notice how your reply has nothing to do with my rebuking your argument". You didn't even deny it because it's all true.

• What's wrong with you? That is horribly sexist... however asks the person out should pay or agree to split

• whoever*

• "I'm an equalist, not a feminist"

Gawd, to think I liked your opinion for a min.

• I would be ashamed to call myself a feminist in today's society @violettasanchez and anyone who considers themselves a feminist in the modern world is very naive.

• I don't agree. I think whomever asks to go on the date should pay, and that person doesn't always need to be the guy. My boyfriend and I usually alternate because we're both students with part-time jobs and can't afford very much.

• So because they have a dick they should pay for the woman? I don't think so.

• What? No. I prefer to pay for what I got. Or both of us treating the other. I am an independent adult and I have money.

• I don't think that anyone on either side of the debate is wrong. I think it's up to you to find someone who feels the same way you do about said topic if it's that important to you.

• Agreed. Instead of calling the person sexist just move on with your life.

• I have arms, legs and a brain, enough to make good money, so I'll pay my shit.

• It depends... Did he say, "I want to take you out to dinner?" In that case, he did the asking and should pay. If he said, "Do you want to meet at Joe's Diner before the movie," then it should be Dutch. If she said, "Do you want to go to the Beer Fest with me," she should pay for the tix.

• not a big deal to me. if he payed the first time, is it attractive? yeh. But I'd want to pay the next time.

• I think that whoever asks the other to go should pay. if the other tries to pay, they can decide it themselves. but if I asked a guy to go to dinner with me, I'd pay, and vice versa

• For me personally, it varies. I find the first couple of dates the guy likes to pay and gets upset if I offer to pay for myself. The one relationship I've been in once the honeymoon phase wore off he'd pay for one date/dinner/whatever you I'd pay for the next. So we'd alternate and it was fair. I found it worked quite well, seeing as neither of us had tons of money.

• What is this? 1952?

• i almost always pay for both of us now that he doesn't have much money left.. spent too much money on metal CD's and hoodies :P

• I think it's outdated as fuck

• In the episode they all said if the guy asked them. also men said they wanted to pick up the check too.

• Yes, it's nice when men pay. If they're not financially well off they can arrange dates within their budget.

• uhhhh how about we woman up and engage in equality?

• split always

• of course those fat chicks are dating broke guys lol

• The chick in the blue dress made out with a perfect stranger in a grocery store after 10 minutes of talking.

• @SilenRose so...