Am I being a bad girlfriend?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a month, he lives in a different city (long distance sucks) so we text and call all the time. I forgot about our "one month anniversary" and it upset him, I apologised and we planned to watch a movie together whilst facetiming. He was being vague about the timing so when I told him I wasn't free for most of the evening that day he just got even more annoyed. I offered to make up for it or try and get out of the plans already made but he's still acting as if I've done something inexcusable and is being moody.

Am I being a bad girlfriend or is he overreacting? What should I do?

• Bad girlfriend
  • He's overreacting

Most Helpful Guy

• one month anniversary? seriously? I say this to girls but this time its to the guy... clingy much? i don't care how much he likes you but this... this is a red flag...6anniversaries start at at least 3 months.. the standard is 6 months but some desperados do the 3 month one. if someone wants to do a one month anniversary... you better watch out. Clingy.

• That's exactly what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't actually something people did and I was being insensitive af about it :/

• nope... but its good to know now. Just keep an eye out... there is a potential for stalking or violence.

• thanks for MH

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds to me like he's taking the relationship way more seriously than he should at this point; and that's not a "sweet" thing, it's definitely a red flag for attachment issues. It's only been a month. It's probably cause for concern that you two aren't on the same page about your expectations for relationship milestones. I think your reaction is perfectly normal. His reaction just reminds me of shitty high school relationships when love is overbearing.

What Guys Said 9

• who the fuck celebrates 1 month anniversaries? no offense to you, but thats... like.. psycho shit.

and he can take a chill pill

• I didn't even know it was a thing but he says it's important. No offense taken I don't know how to handle it myself..

• When it hits a year you have your first anniversary. So just try to do what you guys do and enjoy the moment

• It is both yours and his fault.

You should not have forgot and I can understand why he is upset about that.

BUT

If he is going to be vague about the timing that you and him are going to watch a movie together he has no right to be mad that you have plans already. You can't not do anything in the off chance that it might be at the wrong time for him. So for that part of it he is in the wrong.

• I was more surprised that he even remembered to be honest. Tell him to chill out, sounds like he's being wayyy too clingy. On the plus side it means he cares about you I guess. Anniversaries don't mean shit; my girlfriend wouldn't care if I never learnt ours haha

• It's long distance for godsake. And do you live in different timezones? Cause if that's a problem, it just weakens his position even more.

• He's overreacting, true aniversaries are important, but you forgot, and was tooo busy to do the other thing , that's not your fault so he's being an idiot

• 1 month... what a landmark! are you certain he is a dude and not some chick playin a trick on ya?

• Haha no I've met him. Definitely male.

• Phew! Just wanted to be sure. That seems a little childish to me... maybe six months down the road, but you can't freak-out about 1 month!

• Some cheaters act like that.

• LOL one month anniversary seriously he's upset about that? Tell him to quit being such a pussy.

What Girls Said 4

• You're not a bad girlfriend for forgetting your one month anniversary- it's not like everyone celebrates that! An apology and a promise to make it up to him should have been enough to smooth things over.

However, it sounds like you promised to make it up to him and then ended up not really being available for him on the day you said you would be. I can understand why he was upset about that part. You need to talk to him to figure out what is going on, how he feels, and how to resolve the issue.

• hahah dude I don't know about you but he wouldn't be my ldr boyfriend... he fucked up and seems controlling.

• Lol he's not too bad, it's only been ~a month~ tho.

• Hahahahah thanks for that I needed it 😂

• Okay just saying.

• 1 month aniversary? lol dont u only do that if its like a year? ur not being a bad girlfriend. long distance is hard to cope with, and usually relationships like that r tough to keep. when do u get to see him>

• ! month? People make mistakes