Should I be annoyed that he cancelled our date despite having genuine reasons?

It's a first date and he cancelled about two hours before we were meant to meet. His reason is genuine and it's last minute because he only just found out he can't make it. I'm really annoyed because I was hyped up for meeting him and told people I was. Is this normal I'm super pissed off?

• its understandable
  • You're overreacting

Most Helpful Guy

• Well it's ok to be a bit disappointed or even slightly annoyed at what happened but I mean from what you told us it was a legitimate reason and it was beyond his control so you shouldn't be mad at him and I think it's not that you are mad at him but rather mad at the fact that the last couple of guys have kind of let you down.

I'd give this one a break and another a chance, don't let your past dictate your future.

What Guys Said 21

• I once dated a girl named April. Funny story. We had more 5 or 6 broken "first dates" before we had our actual first date together, all last minute cancellations due to legitimate reasons (in my case it was because I got stuck watching my sister's kids because something came up, and in her case it was usually because she was sick/allergies acting up badly). The first couple of times we were both extremely worried the other might be standing us up/ditching/just not interested, but it eventually sort of became a running joke we laughed about.

• is it understandable you are upset? yes.
    is it understandable if you are upset at HIM? no.
    Of course you're bummed out. of course you were stressing and hyped to meet, and now you have no plans, and disappointed. I get that and sympathize. But if he had a genuine, legitimate reason to cancel, you can't fairly hold it against him.
    reschedule, and hope things go more smooothly next time.

• it's ok to be disappointed or annoyed but try to get over it.

• You are frustrated and that is normal.

• I'd give him a break only one time, the first time. if you're annoyed you can't help that feeling.

• It's understandable of course but... best is to send him a very nice message that it's no problem. Wish him luck with what he needed to do and say you're still very much looking forward to seeing him soon :D

• If the reason is legitimate, then you should let it go. Just let him know, that you won't be so forgiving the next time

• It's understandable to be pissed off, anyone would be. People are entitled to feel however they want really.

• It doesn't matter if someone gets hit by a car, I think most people don't like getting cancelled on last minute.

• Annoyed, eh.

Disappointed, yes.

• It's understandable how you would feel but he had genuine reasons. So, no need to go to the other end of the extreme. Just give him another chance for you guys to meet.

• It depends on the reason.

• Everyone gets pissed off at last minute cancellations. What matters now is how you handle it. And breaking it off with him is NOT the way to go.

• @Asker, did you seriously ask why you shouldn't break it off with someone over being stood up for a genuine reason? This is how I imagine it:
      - Sorry, I can't come, my grandma fell and broke her leg, I have to get her to the hospital.
      - What? I don't care, you promised you'd come.
      - Erm... her leg's broke.. I gotta go.
      - I don't care, I should still come first, let's not see each other again.

In which case, if it were me, I'd think I had dodged a bullet. Granted this reason is made up for the sake of the example, but surely you can see how dumb this is, right?

• @ivaneca lol I'd never be that insensitive and self centred ffs 😂
      Yeah I know, I wouldn't cut it off with him anyway. I was just curious why he made such a point of saying it

• Its okay to be upset but just play it cool and show you're calm.

• Two hours is cutting it close. I'd be irritated.

• This happens a lot wit on line dating. I will never reschedule a stand up. There are plenty of fish in the sea for me to see, that want to see me too!

• Have the date some other day

• You sound quite dominating which can come across as irritating. I'm not sure how your focus is not shifted to the next date or to what may have caused him to cancel but rAther you are stomping your feet because you didn't your date.

• No I'm not. He doesn't know I felt upset, I stayed cool about it like I wasn't bothered.

• I guess I'm wondering why you're pissed off rather than disappointed. It almost sounds as if having someone you find attractive interested in you is more important than you being interested in him. I'd give him another shot.

• It's fine to be disappointed. However, you should not react negatively to him at all. You have no right to hold a grudge against somebody who had a legitimate reason to miss out on a date.

• What if you ate bad goucomole and you couldn't stop shitting, do you get on phone and explain?

What Girls Said 8

• It's half and half. Given it was short notice, it's understandable to be bummed about it. But he had a genuine reason so you shouldn't really hold it against him. At least it's better than showing up and him telling you nothing at all.

• It's understandable to be disappointed and upset, but that's a separate thing from holding it against him. If he had a good reason for canceling, try to let it go.

• It's understandable to be disappointed, which can be be displayed as annoyed but try not to take it out on him. After all, as you am said, it was a valid excuse. If it happens again though, that would be the time to show him your displeasure.
    Hopefully, for this time (if he's smart) he'll try to make it up to you

• Nah it makes sense. It just means you were looking forward to it. Try to get over it though. It'll happen some other time.

• Keep your calm. You will see if he is geniune.

• Its okay to be annoyed especially with actual reasons. However, something like that can be toxic in a relationship. Its not something worth harboring negative feelings about. You may start taking it out on him in the long run even if you dont mean to.

• Grow up, hon

• 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

• Lol... if he told you right away and it's valid, why are you mad? It's not personal. It's not about you. I'd be more concerned about whatever the crisis is.

• You know my mom says when we get too excited about something that our life totally focusses on it, the thing tends to mess up. Due to fate.
    Let it go. Forgive him and move on.