Would you date the Boston Dynamics Atlas Robot?

Boston Dymanics just released this video of the new Atlas Robot. It's pretty creepy how much it seems like a person, and I can only imagine how much they will improve in the future too! If these became common, could you ever date a robot?

I found this one too, and it's super weird how realistic these robots are:

• Yes, it would be cool to date a robot
  • No way, dating a robot is creepy

Most Helpful Guy

• Looks like me coming home from the bar.

No, because robots will never have free will.

First, lets talk about the origin of the word "robot". It was first used in 1921 in a play called R. U. F (Rossum’s Universal Robots). The word is derived from the slavic word "работа" (rabota) which is derived from the word "роб" (rob) which means "slave". Thats the whole intended purpose of robots, to be our slaves, to do things no man could.

This whole issue raises another question, if robots have artificial minds that can feel just like we do, should they be slaves? I am going to answer to that with a question, what would happen if they aren't under our control?

If we make a robot with artificial mind they would have the capacity to be infinite number of times more intelligent than us, and more resistant. To them we would be nothing more than ants. At some point they will decide they won't need us anymore because the only thing we do is pollute.

media.giphy.com/media/YoB1eEFB6FZ1m/giphy.gif
    Why would the world need flesh if metal can do everything 100 times better? For our own sake, artificial intelligence should not be invented.

And this is is why I would never date a robot. I want my dates to have free will, and to do things because they like me, not because I am their owner.

• scary stuff though.

• Ok, I know you think that way, and there are some like that. What about the humans who don't do that. There are plenty of them too. Should they die with the polluters even though they are helping?

"What's enjoyable obout running away from your problems with the help of various substances instead of facing them head on?"

(weed part I got from a song)
      What's not enjoyable about taking time away from problems so you aren't crushed under then weight of it all?

Back on track, I don't think machines will try to kill us. They are smart, but can't fathom the non mathematical aspects of life, like emotions, love, hate, blah blah.

• nice Arnold GIF
      that dude is really a robot

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 43

• I think in the future robotic sex partners will be normal. In fact you could even look at the common vibrator as the first step. likewise people are already talking to their phones, and naming their robotic vacuum cleaners. In many ways we are already doing the same things with many smaller more primitive machines, that we would do with a human sized machine. We just don't have the confusion of mistaking them as human at this point.

There are also reasons why it could be encouraged in a future society, such as population control in stopping unplanned pregnancies, preventing the spread of STD's, and even combating gender roles, as straight men and women would no longer feel the need to fill a role, in order to attract a partner. If people will have sex with disease carrying prostitutes, then certainly a robot that can be properly sanitized after every use would also appeal to a great number of people. This could even help curb human trafficking.

• Okay, first I should mention that in the first video, that dude who is screwing with that robot with the hockey stick... that's why robots are going to get pissed off and take over and kill all the humans.

But for those of us who are respectful to the robots, I think dating a robot would be awesome. It is the quintessence of compliance. It doesn't complain. It always wants to do what you want to do. It's never tired, bored, too drunk, never has a headache or PMS. It is all the fun of a relationship without all the bothersome qualities of another human being. Seems like there aren't any drawbacks unless you want a family, in which case, robot kids seem like the answer!

• Boston Dynamics is definitely the leader in robot motor control and sensing. I've seen a couple of their robot designs and theyre funded by the US military to do projects for them. Like Big Dog was one robot which is a 4 legged robot which carries supplies for troops. It can navigate rough terrain and has an amazing ability to maintain its balance. I thought it was incredible when it was slipping on ice that it managed to still stand up and it kinda looked like Bambi lol.

As for AI, it still has a long way to go and I think quantum computing will be the next level to have a much more realistic AI. Binary code can only do so much and I think quantum computing will greatly improve artificial intelligence to the point where it could be almost too real. We are breaking into the realm of how brains work and the underlying code of such a magnificent machine. I think the threat of robots taking over the world is actually a possibility in the far away future and not so science fiction anymore.

• These videos were mesmerizing, I couldn't stop watching either.

Absolutely incredible.

Thanks for posting.

• Despite not having the best of luck, I don't think I will ever reach a point when I'm THAT desperate.

• Ok anyone who knows anything about Artificial Intelligence can appreciate how incredible that is!!! wow

• Commence.. Robot Intercourse

• in the first video, the guy at 1:25 will be the first to die when our robotic overlords take over. also, i couldnt help but laugh when he made it face plant at 2:06.

in the second video, i kind of see the good in this. the global population is sky rocketing and this may be a good way to slow down the rate at which we are reproducing, although it does remind me of a movie i saw as a kid. it was about a theme park in which humans could recreate moments from the past. there was a scene in the old west where a prostitute sex robot refused to sleep with a customer and then went on a killing rampage.

if anyone knows what movie that is, let me know.

• They will never be able to invent an AI that emulates a woman. Women don't know what they want whereas a computer cannot deal with uncertainty. They are opposites on the spectrum. As much as it can be irritating, it's also part of their charm lol

• Holy shit. I would definitely get one of these. Not to date though, AI is fascinating. You saw how the girl in the video even expressed body language as she speaks? This is just amazing!! I wonder if the AI is smart enough to read human emotions from their tone of voice or the symmetry in their faces (angle of eye-brows... etc). Man, God bless the future... LOL.

• No, sapience would be required.

• Some creeps would have sex with one. I could never be more sexually attracted to a robot than I could be to Siri. lol
    Even if the world ever came to the invention of androids,(ones as realistic looking as Data in Star Trek), I'm sure I could find them attractive, but still want no relationship.
    What we have today ment to look human are easily seen fake and are creepy...

• Well I've fucked sex toys before but thats as far as ill go thanks. Maybe one day A. I will become indistinguishable from humans, by that I mean... when you put an intelligent machine inside a realistic "body" combined with the dexterity of humans. However that day is probably at least 50 years away though.

• Don't date robots!

https://vimeo.com/12915013

• See it's a lot harder for guys to get a date, that's why so many guys would date a robot.

• So... what your really asking is; Would you Date your Vibrator? Hmm can't wait to read these answers :v
    gifrific.com/.../Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

• I wouldn't because I enjoy a good mindfuck.

But think about this though. When women finally start buying sex robots, we'll finally learn the truth as to whether or not size matters.

• My question to society: Why the demand for sex robots? That's easy... many men especially can't get their sexual needs met. My actual, more interesting debate, is why men can't get their sexual needs that easy?

• That's the end of our world right there. When the elite don't need the common working class to do jobs any more we'll all be fucked. Why pay someone when you can have a robot doing it for nothing? It'll be robot armies next. We are so fucked

• awww looks like they´re bullying the poor guy in the end xD

• Certainly not.

• I did once already I think

• It's better than nothing, right? Lol.

• Ouch. Robo sex.

• Dating a robot would be 100x better for your health and pocket

• Let's say they make a robot that looks just like a human

Cleaned house
    Cooks
    Sucks like a vacuum

It still won't have thoughts and feelings though so no, tempted though

I'd be more like to have a robot maid to cook and clean

• I've heard of beastiality. Not quite sure what sex with a robotic animal would be.

• They are the future french fry cooks of america. Goodbye minimum wage...

• Metal Gear!!!

• Given my situation I think a robot will be all I will ever get.

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 7

• They made a robot that looked like Cristiano Ronaldo. it was so real even he freaked out, look date hell no it's weird but I forsee men and women turning to them since we have no idea how to interact with humans

• This reminds of The Boy.

• No way that's not my cup of tea I need the real deal.. LOL!! :-D

• this shit is so fucking creepy, excuse me language but this is just too much now... please stop.

• um... no :(

• If he is reliable why not?

• No, not just because it's creepy just because it's fuckin weird. What kinda weirdo would? It's no different to dating a broom or a blanket.