Should you date at work?

I'm thinking of asking someone that I work with out on a date. I have a friend telling me it's a bad idea, but he has never been in a healthy relationship. I've never dated, so I don't really know what to do.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't mix work with dating. Bc if things go bad, it makes it really hard to be coworkers. So think hard.

Most Helpful Guy

• It could be bad if one or both of the people partake in drama. Trust me, I've seen the effects and I just work at King Soopers... guy and girl were fucking each other, then started dating (I guess), but the girl got around a lot before they dated so there was some conflict.
    Guy eventually quit for college, girl transferred because most of the other employees disliked her because of all the drama (she was apparently a cunt to most people but me).

Otherwise I think it's fine. I've been crushing on a coworker for fuckin 1.5 years.

What Girls Said 7

• No the guy I dated turned on me and got me fired. The other couple got married right away and the other couple at work was a pure boots call he moved went back to his wife and kid and she fell apart crying serves her right she would broadcast about him liking her ass. He was cool about it. The couple that got married it worked for them but it created drama from day one she got way more attention from him in training they were dating and he would act annoyed if someone else needed help. And she threw around that she would tell on anyone that didn't respect her to her boyfriend. She tried to tell people there two and more tears his to do their job from the get go! They told her to mind her own business and she said "I am reporting this to Brandon!" I never saw anything good preferential treatment dirty politics and getting fired cause well he was fired and wanted to duck the company over do he made a rumor about me and claimed he deleted the text from me but it was awful. And due to his court case against the company for firing him he forced them to fire me the star player.

• I'm against dating at work, but to each their own. What if you like them more than they like you? What if you can't stand them, but they love you? Now you have to deal with that on a daily basis at work? No thanks, not me.

• Heya!
    I don't think it's a good idea. Because if you guys do end up dating and things end up sour then you're going to still see one another at work and that can create hostility! and tension amongs't other things. Plus, Don't shit at where you eat right?

• That's a bad idea. If it doesn't work out, and it likely won't because this is not a fairytale, you'd have to see each other at work every day. That would be painful for you, not give you space to get over him/her, and it will make going to work very unpleasant for you.

• I wouldn't care but some say "don't shit where you eat" so...

• No, tempting as it is... don't shit where you eat

• Don't take advice from someone who hasn't experienced being in a relationship (or a healthy one in your case).
    Pros and Cons of dating at work:
    Pros
    -you get the girl you want
    -you see them everyday
    -whatever other reason LOL

cons
    -if you break up it could make things a little awkward
    -what the first one is

so if you really like that girl you have you eye on at work, and you know she's single, by all mean go for it!

What Guys Said 10

• it can totally work, its not for me though.

• Depends on the job and how closely the two of you work. If you plan to stay at the job for a while, don't do it. If your job depends on being able to work with her, don't do it. If the job is disposable or she's just someone you pass in the hall, it's not so bad. You always risk personal dirt winding up in the workplace no matter what, though.

• I have no dating expererience but I have heard the expression "never shit where you eat" 😜

• Depends on your workplace. Would it be uncomfortable if it didn't work out?

Don't dismiss it entirely like some of the people below. I used to work at a place where a lot of people dated, and some wound up married. And these were tech professionals.

• It's a risk that you're taking. If things went south between you, it can get awkward at work. What do you do?

• It's a tough one. If you see them every day and you break up with them it's not gonna be great for either of you, but it's not something that you can't both get over. I remember the same thing happened to me at school where at first it was awkward but eventually we were just mates again and it was fine. I think it's sad when anything stops two people being together, so I say go for it.

• Since I'm self employed, that'd make it kind of hard. :-D

• It's fine if you're both mature. Works a good place to meet people.

• Nope, my brother did that and it went tits up... seriously restraint atmosphere now.

If I were a CEO I would absolutely ban all office romance

• you could try it, just be carful. see if you can move to a different store or department, depending on where you work. i've dated a co-worker twice, the first time wasn't so bad but when we broke up it was hard to see her everyday, hearing her talk about her dating life. i changed shifts. the last time was the worst. we started fighting and it got awkward at work. then she started spreading rumors about me, and told my boss i was making her feel uncomfortable (i wasn't even talking to her at this point) and almost made me lose my job. i had my hours cut to fit around her schedule (we weren't aloud to work with each other ) and everyone at my work ended up thinking i was the bad guy who broke her heart.. bottom line, don't date co-workers. but if you want to go for it (her) make sure you have another job lined up