Better to Just Leave Your Online Dating Profile Empty?

Does anyone here honestly really care that much about what's in a person's online dating profile? I'm not saying personality isn't important, it is, but if you find the person attractive aren't you at least going to send/respond to their message? And if they send you a dumb/lame/creepy message aren't you going to ignore them even if you find them physically attractive?

I found a study online where one group of people were asked to rate physical attractiveness, and another group was ask to rate personality of online dating profiles, including blank profiles, and even empty profile's personality rates correlated strongly with the ratings from the physical attractiveness.

When you approach someone in person you don't interrogate them for a bunch of personal details. You have a short conversation and if they're a normal person you ask them out for a date and go from there. Is it really necessary to put a bunch of details in your online profile?

• Now that you mention in, no, I don't really care if their profile is empty as long as they had several good pictures.
  • I wouldn't message an blank empty, but I'd respond if the messaged me first.
  • They should include some information, but multiple paragraphs are unnecessary.
  • I strongly prefer a complete profile, but empty isn't out of the question.
  • I won't message or respond to any empty profiles.
  • Only novel writers need apply.
  • See Results

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't leave it empty but don't fill it up to the max. You want things that grab peoples interest on there and things that they can start talking to you about. There are some out there that fill it to the max, and they've pretty much taken away talking points since its all laid out there already for everyone to read.

Most Helpful Guy

• No matter how good her pictures are, I need to read something about her, written by (I hope!) her in order to get a feel for whether we'll be compatible as people or not.

I HATED blank profiles when I was using dating sites, especially if someone had a high compatibility score with me. I’d want to know why!

What Girls Said 2

• Have a little bit of information, but don't fill out every detail! What's the point of trying to get to know someone if you already know everything about them? It makes conversation quite boring.

• I like to have at least a little bit of background information before hand... but I can go without.

What Guys Said 5

• When I was dating online, I was much more attracted to women who had something to say besides "I enjoy travel, music, walks on the beach". Duuuh! Who doesn't? So I wrote a three-paragraph introduction designed to attract a certain type (women who read and share my sense of humor). It worked.

• Effort gets rewarded more than laziness.

• Some basics are necessary. If someone is super religious and expects that in a partner, then there's no point in me pursuing that avenue. Once bitten, twice shy. I want a rough idea of who they are to know if there's a deal breaker in there. Like if they're a cigarette smoker, I won't deal with them at all.

• So many women just put 'ask me' on their profile its so annoying. Its like they're just lazy cause they know they will get heaps of msgs regardless. Gives you absolutely nothing to start a convo off with.

Gives the ones who put in even a little effort a head start and shows they actually care about dating, not just want some compliments on their photos to boost their ego.

• If a girl leaves her online dating profile empty I assume one of the following:

A) She is lazy, stupid, or both

B) She only wants sex

C) She posted the profile for attention and just wants people to look at her pics.

I treat them as expected given the above.