My girlfriend started smoking and I want her to quit, what can I do?

I really love my girlfriend and we have been together for 3 years. One thing however i dont like or really didn't want in a relationship is for my girlfriend to smoke. I kept telling her to stop it and it's not good for her but then she gets "stressed" and goes to smoke. I keep telling her being stressed is not an excuse. It has even gotten to the point where my girlfriend would smoke a ciggarette and even tho it's cold outside i would not let her in my car cause i dont want that smell. I simply don't want to get second hand smoke. Any tips on how i can make her quit? Also am i being very "forcing" towards this? i just want the best for her.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't make her stop unless she wants to. I know how she feels, the more you push her the more harder it is for her to quit. people usually smokes more when they're stressed out. Try buying her vape, it helped me quit last yr, but i was under a lot of stress so i started smoking again. Im going to try to quit again next month, i hope your girlfriend will come to realize that smoking is destroying her life.

Most Helpful Guy

• stress? i grew up in in a family that drank, smoked, and did drugs, was stuck in a trailer filled with beer bottle, beer can, burn holes, and bugs, for a whole year, then, abused by my grandmother for another, learned my brother got mixed up with my ''father's'' side of the family, messed up with a girl i love, watched her life go down hill, see pictures of her and a guy who's already miss treated her in the past and more.

What Girls Said 2

• Unfortunately smokers have to want to quit. All you can do is express how you do not want her to and maybe even show her photos and stuff of what happens to your body if she continues down this road.

If it is a big issue to you and you are going to continue to fight over it, then there really is only one alternative.. and that is to give her the ultimatum... its the smokes or you... she can't have both. But you will need to be prepared to come out second best.

• well i dont want to sound rude but i have thought of saying "if you continue to smoke you will become all wrinkly and ugly". I mean it could be a bit too much but if she could slowly stop it, then that would be good enough for me, i will show her pics

• All you can do is be supportive and tell her you'll help her along the way of quitting. She has to want to quit, herself. Forcing or yelling won't help. Ask her if there's anything you can do to help because you care about her health and just want to do what's best to help her quit. Also, if she makes mistakes along the way, try not to he hard on her. Best of luck!

What Guys Said 1

• If you are looking for a relationship what you can do is simple: dump her.
    This should be a big red flag, it means that in spite of knowing better she chooses to make poor choices anyway. She's not wife material, not really even girlfriend material. Sorry if that's harsh but it's true.

If you just want someone to bang on the DL I wouldn't worry about it. It's her body, let her smoke. If you want to make out with her you can buy her a pack of gum first.