He talks about his ex all the time?

I've started seeing this really great guy for about 5 months and things have been going great. The only thing is, he talks about his ex girlfriend A LOT. He doesn't bash her or glorify her, just random stuff like when we're having a conversation, he'll mention something about her. I don't mind too much, because I think it's good that we are open with each other about past relationships. Last night though, we went out to dinner and he told me EVERYTHING about their relationship, sexually, how they met, how much she hurt him, how she keeps calling him, and I was weirded out by it? I felt like I was his buddy the whole time trying to make him feel better. I'm not really jealous, but I just don't want to hear about it? Am I being rude? Or overbearing? How do I deal with this guys?

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 1

• Uh, this is a HUGE red flag, girl.

How long ago did he breakup with her? He might not be over her...

• That's totally what I was thinking when he started talking about her a lot, but he said the only reason he answered her calls when we were first seeing each other is because he wanted closure? Is that weird? They broke up a little over a year ago.

• You're welcome. I just hope that you weren't too invested with this dude.

Tell him that when he talked about his ex, it made you feel like just a buddy, and then how he acts will tell you how he feels. Actions speak louder than words, always remember that. And then stand your ground. Don't let him make petty excuses to talk to her like that, especially not closure, cause if he really loved you, there would be nothing to "close" cause it would already be "closed!"

I feel bad, cause I want to say that he's just keeping the peace, but from what you tell me, he's practically using you like an "emotional tampon."

• I'm totally an emotional tampon! You're so right! That's the best analogy ever for this situation. Ugh, I sure know how to pick 'em. Thanks for your advice, I'm going to do just that.