Is it normal to have reservations about starting to date my best guy friend?

When I first met the guy who's now my closest male friend, I developed a huge crush on him, but he started dating another girl so I forced myself to get over him. They broke up over the summer, but I tried not to get my hopes up and just focused on being a good friend to him.

Recently he expressed his interest in me (!!!) and although we're not officially dating yet, we're talking it out and trying to see whether this thing might actually work. Problem is, I'm starting to freak out.

I'm independent and I've taken care of myself since I was 17. I haven't been in a relationship since then, either (it's been five years). This guy is one of my best friends and we get along so effortlessly, it's as easy as breathing, and it has been since the day we met. I was crazy about him for a long time, too. Why am I feeling this way? Is it normal to have doubts like this at the beginning of a relationship? Could it just be a defense mechanism after all these years alone? Or is it a bad indicator?

What Guys Said 1

• it´s normal to feel this way, cause you fear to lose him as a friend. if you really like him like that, go for it. it´s worth it... just try not to change your mindset about him just because you change your relationship status.

What Girls Said 1

• It's definitely normal to feel that way. It's a defense mechanism and sometimes you have to turn off your brain and go with your gut. You should go for it :)