Why do you date someone long-term?

Why do you decide to commit to a relationship? Please discuss.

• You enjoy spending time with that person
  • You want to be able to have unlimited sex with that person
  • You don't want that person to be with anyone else
  • You're afraid of dying alone and anyone will do
  • Other (please comment)

Most Helpful Guy

• -you enjoy spending time with them
    -you feel like you can trust and rely on them for emotional support.
    -they understand you
    -visually stimulating
    -physical intimacy
    -someone to share experiences and grow old with
    -potential to have someone you'll always know.
    -they have a combination of traits that you believe would be difficult to find in another person.

Option D could come into play later on.

Most Helpful Girl

• Part of it is kind of a mixture of," You enjoy spending time with that person" and "You want to be able to have unlimited sex with that person."

For me I've only had 1 long term relationship that I've loved so much. Which is the current relationship I'm in now. He helps me understand things better, makes me extremely happy, I can tell him everything, having someone to share things with, go on fun adventures, and a lot of other things.

Though for my boyfriend I'm pretty sure my boyfriend feels the same way. As this dude says about the chick he's dating in a manga I'm reading.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNf3X_oWwAA8EI5.png

What Guys Said 19

• I enjoy spending time with my partner but that; that is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a monogamous commitment. I love my girlfriend. I want to be the one who makes her happy. I want to help her find the maximum pleasure that she can achieve in her life. I want to explore new places with her. I want to give her unforgettable experiences between the sheets. I want to smile with pride when she is walking buy my side. . . and I want her by my side as much as possible. I love laughing with her. When she cries, I want her burying her face in my shoulder and holding me for comfort. All of those reasons have led me to commit to a monogamous relationship with her.

• I voted A but B is also a strong incentive. For me, it's about mutual support emotionally. I want to be there for her and I want her to want to be there for me in all ways.

• Unfortunately haven't dated yet -__- but if I were to then with the purpose of getting to know them and then be together for good. Hopefully.

• Hmm I'd imagine that I wouldn't be able to see my future without her. Her life would be bonded to mine. I haven't really experienced that yet.

• Because I enjoy spending my time with that person.

• I selected "A". Also, we have three children so we both play a role in the family. We, as a family, are very happy.

• B has never happened in the history of ever, and I guess c shows that you care about the person to some degree (but it's definitely not for the right reason), and my dad's coming up on his eighth (?) over option d... Ya, I'm going with A...

• Combination of A, B and D. Also just being with someon would comfort me

• I had my first relationship at your age and it was a trainwreck. If you get into something, don't be a drama queen like me. Okay?

• Okay! Good! That makes my inner nonna calm down. #NothingToSeeHereFolks

• Great! I was a tad scared there...

• they are a potential soulmate and you enjoy their company.

• I don't decide when I'm going to have a long-term relationship with someone. I just continue to be with them until I don't want to any more.

• Because I find dating useless and a waste of time. I wouldn't pursue someone if I don't want long term.

• I feel you there. It's like a permanent audition. UGH.

• First dates are the worst. If you go on a lot of first dates (like I did this past autumn), it *feels* like a permanent audition.

• Oh I got you now. Hehe

• That’s real love and real happiness. It’s when you go to sleep every night hoping that you are less happy than your lover; it’s hoping that you’ve given everything you could to them so that their day could be just a tiny bit better.

• Because I love her.

• Because it must be wonderfull to create a story with someone and see and help each other grow since years back. A.

• Primarily A), although B) also sounds good as a bonus.

• *not surprised*

• Temporary transient state of stupidity.

• At least you're honest.

• If you've still got game, I don't see why you can't continue to date. Eventually, you'll run into someone who'll you'll want to spend more time with regularly and it goes beyond just having sex.

• I don't really approve of adultery...

• You can be in a serious committed relationship without being married. To cheat on your partner, when it was previously agreed that you would be monogamous, is still cheating. Thus, adulterous.

• I guess you misunderstood me. When I talk of dating, I don't expect to be in a relationship to start. One your in a committed relationship, I wouldn't expect your SO to cheat on you as well.

• The person is really unique, one of a kind, catches your eye, is in a different league.
    It is fun to watch others expressing envy.
    You seriously will go insane if she is gone.

• Vote E: Because I LOVE them.

• life-term,

• You're going to have to elaborate on that for me. I have no idea what you're talking about.

• You shouldn't be dating unless you're NOT looking for marriage?

That makes no sense. If you want to get married, how are you supposed to find a spouse? Take out a craigslist ad?

• unless you ARE

What Girls Said 19

• Because it makes perfect sense to remain with the same person long-term if you get along well both inside as well as outside of the bedroom, leading to both of you becoming very much emotionally invested in each other.

I know that I certainly don't want to be alone so if I manage to find someone who I click with very well and who feels the same to me, I don't see why we shouldn't stay together for the long-run.

• I did it because we enjoyed spending time together. I'm still in this relationship because imagining a future without him in it hurts a lot.

• sort of like A but more that i just can't imagine that person not being in my life. they make me feel good and they make me happy and i want to keep them around. :)

• I like spending time with him, adventuring, and growing together as a couple. Knowing he has my back if needed, and I have his if needed is also nice. Well, I'm not in a relationship now, but I loved those aspects when I was in one.

• I never have. I'm not into settling. so far, every long term relationship I've seen were two miserable people selling with each other because they were afraid to be alone, to save money, because they had kids, for regular sex, etc etc

• Mixture of spending time with them and loving them more than any other guy who is not your family member.

• mostly because i like the person and want to be with them and share lots of experiences together and look back on the good times and be romantic and show each other our most vulnerable sides ♡

• I'm at my happiest with my partner. I enjoy sharing the things I love with them and they make me a better person. Though I was happy single I'm happier with them.

• A, B and C from your choices.

I'd add that the person makes me feel complete, like they are a puzzle piece I have been missing. Also add that making them happy gives me tremendous pleasure.

• Because you get to a point to where you can't imagine life without them because of how important they become in your life.

• Because I can see a future with him and he makes me feel loved and happy.

• I enjoy that person and want to keep them around

• Above anything the first choice

• I think it's a combination of A, B and C. Tho I've never been in a long term relationship with a person I don't love so I think love is also one of the factors.
    Then there is the weird need to be with the person, like I'm not fully awake without them. Everything feels so much duller when they are not there. I don't really know how to describe it better. So I guess emotional dependency

• All of the above and so much more really commiting to a relationship is hard
    1. You are very attracted to that person and it may not be just for looks maybe they are smart and you find that very comforting
    2. Their presence is wanted in your everyday life some days ypu may feel as ifyou need to tell someone something but you dont have anyone close with to do so
    3. Your curious as to where tnings would go
    4. A family.. many people tend to look for their soulmates or someone to love so they can start a family💑👪
    5. Who wants to die alone ? When u can canoodle your love till the end
    6. Some just want to experience love👫💘💘

• Because I still believe in truth love and I want to grow old with that person.

• To have someone to share everything with, unlimited sex, and cuddles and stuff

• umm cause I love them?

• In most cases, you decide to make a commitment before you actually love them.

• The expectation is that you stay together over the long-term, not that it has been long-term in the past. That's what I'm actually asking about. What makes you decide to be exclusive with someone?

• because at that point in my life I can see myself being with them for the rest of my life... and if you enjoy spending time with them you probably want to continue doing that for the rest of your life

• I date to marry... So I guess to spend the res of my life with?
    Don't date if you can't see a future with someone.