Would you date someone if he or she could not speak English?

Guys, would you overlook the language barrier if she was good looking or friendly?

Girls, would you overlook the language barrier if he was good looking or rich?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Why do you say "Guys, would you overlook the language barrier if she was good looking or friendly?" and then "Girls, would you overlook the language barrier if he was good looking or rich?" girls don't just fucking date someone because they're either good looking or rich you know! Most girls want someone who is friendly and a kind person, who gives a flying fuck if they're rich? Most girls don't just think "oh he's rich, I want him" some do, but the same goes for guys! Some of them do that as well! Why are you making it seem like girls only care about the shallow things where as guys actually care about personality as well?
    Enough of this sexist bullshit!!!
    And to answer your question, of course I fucking wouldn't. If I can't communicate with them, for all I know they could be talking about their love of the Klu Klux Klan.
    Such a stupid, stupid question.

• What planet do you live on?

Of course women date men just because they are rich. I am rich, I ought to know. And I date some women just because they are good looking. Sometimes we don't even personally like each other, but because I'm rich and she's good looking we have sex anyway. (not my preferred match-up, but it has happened).

I would say 90% of the women I have dated in the past 15 years would ONLY date a rich man. It is not sufficient, but it is required.

It sounds like you don't know any rich guys to date or you wouldn't sound so angry about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• (A) I speak three foreign languages, so yes.

(B) Before I knew one of those, I did in fact have sex with two girls I met when we only knew about five words of each others' language (hotel is the same)

In that same country, there is a rumor that all women have a fantasy of having sex with a white guy. Some years later when I had a bona fide girlfriend from there (who was fluent in English), I asked her and her friends if that was true. They unanimously said yes. I asked, if language were not a barrier (it usually is), what percent of women there would actually do it? They caucused and agreed on 70%. They were biased toward city girls in college, but moral to the story is, learn the local language.

• 1. What country was it?
      2. Did you speak her language?
      3. And does your logic about a white guy apply if you're not white and trying to fuck a girl who can't speak English (Black guy w/ Korean girl or Indian guy with Japanese girl or a Chinese guy with a Latina?)

• 4. and how did you have sex with her if she did not speak english?

• 1. I am not going to disclose the country. It is in Asia.
      2. I only knew a handful of words of the language at the time (I can speak it now fine).
      3. It would NOT apply in that country, since their common fantasy is specifically to have sex with Caucasians. But the general comment that a couple need not speak a common language is true.
      4. We kissed, then took off each others clothes. It is the same as having sex with anyone.

What Girls Said 20

• No. No matter how sexy the accent is... I gotta know what dude is sayin

• i only speak English so i could never connect with someone if they didn't speak English because we wouldn't be able to communicate. so no i wouldn't because there wouldn't be any basis for the attraction.

• Yes. The main languages in my country are Arabic and French anyways. Nut I would prefer him to speak English as-well.

• What country is that?

• @JPSAM You're Lebanese? :)
      Actually I'm from Tunisia, and yeaah it's the same here they teach English at school as-well!^^

• yes i am :)

• I want to be able to communicate well with my partner, so no. English is the only language I'm good at!

• probably not.

• Why not?

• because i like to communicate effectively or at least on a basic level. with him not speaking English i wouldn't even have that.

• Why do guys get "friendly" and girls get "rich"? lol I'd prefer a friendly guy to a rich one:)
    Once, my brother liked a girl who barely spoke English. Her first language was Spanish, so he tried to learn Spanish from an app on his phone lol. I don't think that had much potential. (Especially since he was in about eighth grade.)
    But, if you can communicate somehow, I guess it would be fine.

• Nope. I don't connect with people physically. I connect intellectually. If I don't know what you're saying than no matter how hot you are you are never going to be attractive to me.

• Well, my native language isn't English. 😂
    But I won't overlook the fact that he doesn't know English because of his wealth and/or looks, it all depends if we click (I'm not saying looks don't matter, but they aren't everything).

• I would learn the language if I had fallen in love with them. Personality can be shown in other ways. I would definitely date someone with a language barrier- perhaps them teaching you their language would be a good way to strengthen the bond? Being 'good looking and rich' are such shallow things to fall for.

• yes i prefer to

• Nope, sorry. Gotta be able to understand him.

• I wouldn't date someone if he couldn't speak the same language as me.
    Would never work out

• I don't know.
    I prefer if he knows how to speak it.

• Yes, I would date him, I'm not a native English so I don't care of he can speak English or not

• voted yes because i know 3 languages other than English boo ya

• It would all depend what language they spoke for me

• No since there would be no way to communicate.

• Communication is important to me, more so than good looking and wealth. If we can't speak English, or another language to communicate than probably not. But if we had language we could converse in, then that's fine.

• I was born in Poland but recently moved to Canada. My English is okay but I still have an accent. I'm open to dating guys who speak English as their first language.

• What about Polish guys who can't speak English?

• I am currently living in Canada and if the guy can't speak any English he is likely to be unemployed so no.

• Probably not. Because i wouldn't know them, their likes, their personality etc etc...

• What if they talk to you using a translator app?

• And no their looks and money wouldn't make a difference

• That's way too much work... Let's say if you two are together and a emergency happened. Are you going to pull out a translator app in a life/death situation? It would be better to shout to the person and they can fully understand you. & I hate to be that guy that brings up a situation about life of death. But you just have to think realistically.

What Guys Said 25

• Well then how would we communicate? I mean if we both had at least one other common language then I would try at least.

• It's tricky, because communication is important. I'd definitely date someone whose first language wasn't English, the opportunity to even learn some of their own native language would be very enticing (I love learning new languages) so I wouldn't be against something like that but it would also be very difficult to say the least.

• I am Hungarian, and if you don't speak English, you pretty much don't have a future. Not with me and not in general.

• Language barriers can be overcome if there is a real attraction and the two people want genuinely to be together. Languages are for the most part not difficult to learn to a fair degree of competency so I would date someone if she ony had limited skills or vice versa in one of the languages we spoke.

• depends what language. i can only speak English and italian. i can understand some french and speak a bit of Spanish... i can understand some german, but not a lot. and fuck portuguese.

• I would certainly find out what their native language is and try to learn it, if they couldn't speak English.

• I am bilingual so yeah. If we could engage in a meaning conversation in the other languages I know fuck yeah!

• Some of the best dates I've been on have been with girls where we didn't speak each other's languages.

• What has English go to do with Love

• I don't care if they don't speak English. My first language is Arabic. If they speak neither of them then I don't know how we can even date...

• definitely, if she is a good girl she can learn the language but you can't make a girl change her attitude or the way she is.

• Pretty or not, or even rich, the language barrier is a pretty big deal. Conversation would be one sided with each of you and you would get very frustrated very quickly.
    I don't think it will work.

• no, how would i even be able to ask her out?

• Yeah that way they would seem more naive ^_^

• I live in London, no one speaks English here. The English don't speak English here.

• Under certain circumstances yes such is there learning to learn English but not speaking currently. I was learning their language. There's many ways to communicate. Does ASL count?

• Well as long as I can speak their language so it's cool

• If I liked her enough, I'd try to learn

• I wouldn't be willing to do that.

• It depends on the country we're in. If we're in her home country, then I should be learning her language. If we're in mine, she should at least be learning English.

• ❄❄⛄⛄Dude I speak 14 languages...

• Relationships thrive on communication and if you can find a way to breach that gap. Go for it!

• I don't see how that would even be possible.

• No, why? Because how would you even have a conversation with the person?

• Google translate App? Or speak his/her language?

• If she was speakin' ma mother language fine... we could communicate... don't ask me which one's it though... since I refuse to answer about it...