Can an atheist and religious person have a good relationship?

I'm a christian and like an atheist woman, can a relationship like that work?

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on how devoted you are and how it plays out in your everday life. Most atheists, apart from those extremist ones, won't jump down throat about it. We just personally dont believe in a higher being or in the established organized religions. Most of us are still spirituallly inclined and tolerant, just prefer not to believe in the Judeo-Christian ideals.

My boyfriend was raised Catholic and I am an Athetist so I understand that some holy days mean something to him. I may ask him questions about it cause i will be curious and I still attend funerals, weddings, and occasional mass with his family out of respect. They all know I dont attend church but appreciate that I can be there for their family in times of need. They dont try to convert me and we made the decision that of we have kids, to wait until they are old enough to understand the commitment to a religion and the verses/sermons they teach to chose what they want to observe.

Relationships are about mutual respect. If you like her, then give her a try.

Most Helpful Guy

• Monotheist religious people are only about 1% less atheist than atheists. They are atheist in regards to every other god that has ever been believed, except their own. Atheists just add one more to the list. With that logic, monotheists and atheists probably have more in common than monotheists and polytheists. And could possibly have more in common with each other than one might initially think.

Whether or not you could have a good relationship would probably depend on what kind of Christian you are, and what kind of atheist she is. If you want to expand on what kind of people you both are, then perhaps I can give a more thorough reply.

• What are some reasons you are Christian? What are some reasons she is atheist? Is science an important topic for either of you?

• Thanks for Most Helpful.

What Girls Said 12

• Uh... how religious are you? 'Cause I can promise, when push comes to shove, you'll be too religious for her and it'll cause problems in your relationship.

• If you can forget about the whole "does god exist?" thing, then yes :D

• it can but i think in the long term there would b problems if either was is very enthusiastic with beliefs

• I doubt. I don't know. Depends. If you two get along well without arguing about beliefs, traditions, views.. etc.. then cool.

• No.

I think two people should at least believe in the same thing before dating.

What will you tell your family? Friends? Potential kids?

The differences are too extreme.

• Tell family and friends the truth, and for kids why can we let them decide?

• *can't

• If you respect eachother, yea. But it depends if you really are Yeshua follower and put god first than probably not. Your morals may be different.

• No way in hell is that going to work out,

• Yes it can work as long as you don't bring up religion

• If she isn't pushing her religion on you, you should be fine.

• I'm the religious one.

• oops. Well then don't push it on her and like I said, should be ok

• Nope move on because I did and I was in the same situation.

• As a Christian, one should accept all people. Anything is possible so long as your respect for each other is worth more than your opposing beliefs. If you're planning on having kids, discuss how you'll want to raise them.

• No, because if you fall in love with her you will want her to see how much you love her through your beliefs by marriage and you will be hurt because even if you do get married you will want her to see your side of religion even if at first when you start dating you claim you do not care gradually you will resent her

What Guys Said 19

• It might. My grandmother was a very devout Catholic and my grandfather was... well... I don't know if he was an atheist, but he did not have a very positive view of the Church. At least for most of his life, he didn't. Assuming my understanding is correct.

• It can work until they get children. Then one of both has to forget about his ideas. Usually, it's the atheist who has to shut up and accept the religious brainwashing of the children.

• As long as you don't let religion dictate your life then you are okay. The moment you show your partner that your religion is the one making the decision for you then you are going to have a problem.

• Just don't talk or bring up religion... Or anything have to deal with religion.

I doubt that kind of relationship will work though.

• Well anything is possible I mean those two things will make the relationship a lot harder then it needs to be but if you really like each other then you'll find a way to make it work. just respect each others beliefs.

• I know if I were to date a religious person, it would be hell.

• Yeah, I'm an Atheist and my ex was Christian. I mean she wasn't religious or anything as in she never went to church and so on but she believed in God. Religion never was an issue.

• Anything can work if you have strong enough feelings. Just respect each other's views even though you disagree. I'm an atheist and have lots of Christian friends. Honestly I think they're stupid sometimes but we just either don't talk about religion or if we do we keep it calm, polite, and open minded.

• So long as you're not religious, nor expect each other to change, it'll be fine

I was friends with a Muslim while a Christian

• No , no way !
    I'd never date an atheist girl

• Didn't work for me but that's just another reason why I hate religion.

• Yes they can, until they plan on having a three some with God anytime soon.

• If you both respect each others beliefs and don't try to force each other to convert then yes.

• It works fine. I have friends that have different or no faiths.

• is she open?

• nope

• Probably not. If you're damning gays to hell and forcing her to go to church it won't work. Or if she's continuously ranting about there not being a god, it won't work. It would only work if you two are quiet and nature about your beliefs. I'm an atheist currently dating a Catholic girl and have been for years. No need to bring it up because she's barely Catholic and I keep my ideals to myself.

• If both of you can respect each other then yes.

• Sure. I mean, I've been with christian girls and we've had good relationships. Can't see why it wouldn't work as long as you can both accept each other's views. She probably won't be praying with you in church on sundays and you emh... Well.. Atheist don't really do anything special. So just that.