I'm 33, he's 18, can it work?

I met this guy at my friends party a few weeks ago. He was hitting on me and asked for my number and I gave it to him. It turns out he's 18, and at first I didn't like it but ever since our first date, I feel I've made a connection with him. The sex is great and he really is mature for his age.

Could our relationship last long-term? I don't want to break up with him anytime soon

Most Helpful Guy

• One of my aunts is 14 years older than my uncle and he wasn't much older than 18 when they first met (22 or 23 perhaps). They're together for over a decade. I'm not taking their relationship as a role model, but I saw it worked. It can work with you, but keep your thoughts clear.

• Those wide gap age relationships seems common over in ~Brazil... it's no surprise..

• @abundantlyrich It depends on where you go actually, in some places it's more common than in others (country is too big) but it's not difficult at all to see gaps like 4-5 years or more.

Most Helpful Girl

• of course you can make it work.

• Thank you, this is encouraging 😊

• i've dated guys 10 years younger and i don't see why age is an issue

• I think it's bothered me because on GAG, I've seen people called creeps when they're a 30+ age person dating an 18-19 year old. I don't want to be seen as a creep.

I'm glad though, there's nothing wrong and thanks

What Guys Said 26

• Doubt it but you can have a lot of fun. An 18 yo with a hot 33yo cougar. Both at sexual peak. Big fireworks

• Ha true 😊 the first thing we both talk about when we meet at my house is sex, and then the room fills with sexual energy once we start. It's fun and exciting.

• I wish I was him

• I will work for a certain time I am sure, but eventually, if you are there in your life of course, you'll realize that he still has some growing up to do. In the meantime, have fun ! :D

• You tell us whether it could last. You don't need our permission or anyone else's.

• I'm not sure, I hope so, I just want other people's opinions on our age gap 😄

• You are in a very good and rare situation. Not only is this guy relatively inexperienced but you have the opportunity to mold him into the man you want. He can then be yours permanently if you do not screw it up.

• One of my friends dated a younger man. It worked out until the talk about a future and children came into play. She was 38 and didn't want anymore kids and he was just starting out in adulthood and did. That put a riff into the relationship that could not be fixed.

• So the sex is good. How about conversation, music choices, movies, dinner, etc. Do you have a connection there? After the sex mellows a bit will you enjoy doing things together outside the bedroom?

• It can but highly unlikely. He's probably going to move on since he's still growing and probably wants to experience life throughout his 20's, which he has even reached yet 😂

Seems like you guys had sex quite soon in the relationship...

• He said he loves me and I love him, I just don't want him dumping me for a younger woman in a few years 😔

The sex is fantastic, yeah we hit it off the same night, but it's great

• I remember when I was 18... your concept of love is quite different from his. He is living and learning. Which means there is a chance you could do it for him... but just like any juvenile, they are not aware of what changes are yet to come, thats why they need guidance.

He will go through many transitions between now and the next 12 years. If you want kids in your life, that means he has to be ready to be a father by 23 max, lol i doubt that... lol good luck, your going to need it.

• It won't work. Not just because I kinda was with a 28 year old woman when I was 19 or when I dated a 18 year old girl when I was 33 as well.. It's because age is more than a number.

• Long-term? Probably not. There are a lot of barriers, and I say that as a man that had a LTR with an older woman. But, it can work medium term just fine, with benefits all around, so long as everyone is committed to honesty.

• Don't be a rapist, leave the kid alone.

• The true question is whether he's actually interested in a relationship with you or if he's just in it for the thrill of sex with an older woman.

• I highly doubt it. I know very few couples where the guy is younger, and of those most are less than a year difference.
    Enjoy it but dont get your hopes up.

• What kind of connection do you have? Can you list the things? You are at different places and different emotional maturities, I am curious to know.

• It could last if you two make it work

• I will try, I don't want to lose him

• The only thing in your way is societal norms if you ask me. Don't let it stop you.

• Well you're at a relatively stable part of your life (early 30s) but he's just starting out. What if he goes to university and starts meeting hot girls his age and gets tempted?

He's still only 18, he can't be THAT mature. I'm sorry to be a downer but I just don't think it'll work. I used to date a 32 year old woman in Japan (I was 21 at the time) and I pretty much spent my whole exchange year at her apartment making love and going out for food with her. It was good but eventually she wanted to stop and wanted something more 'stable'.

• lol why are u partying with 18 year olds u loser lol

• No. He's banging you so he can brag to his friends. I'm guessing you've been around the block a lot and no guy your age wants to commit.

• Sure, sometimes it works.

Check out his wife, and keep in mind he is in Hollywood so could have hordes of young b*tches in line one after another if he wanted.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Taylor-Johnson
    There must something good about their relationship

• A 33 year old asking if it could be long term? LOL Sorry. I woulda thought that the older people get, they wouldn't need to ask many relationship questions.

• I just want other people's opinions before I jump the gun completely with him.

• wtf you pedo... .

• keep him as long as you are happy with him

• yeah, sounds hot

• It's fine... ya won't get arrested... so why should it matter?

• Difficult to tell, just see how it goes.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 19

• "Age is just a Number, Not a Reminder."
    I wrote the Book to Look on that Sore Subject and would this, I Stick by my word with this Stickler.
    Go Slow with Young Joe, there is a Bit of an Age difference. And of course, regardless of 'Age' Anyways, Nurse and Nurture a Nice Friendship First and See if there Might... Be More in Store.
    However, You Both have made this fabulous 'Connection' but make sure it isn't Purely Between the Sheets... A young Guy with a Hot Try can get Bored real Quick and Go Quick too 'Anytime soon.'
    Good luck. xx

• To be honest with you, it's a stretch. You're both at different stages in your life. If it were to work, you'd have to be the one who would want it bad enough. The younger person in the relationship (with this big of an age gap) can't offer you that much.. Not as much as you can offer, you'd have to really want to make it work.

• Nah, I don't think so. This sounds more like a fling.

• It's not necessarily the number of years that will make or break it. 15 years is a lot, but I know couples, a few in my family who have similar age gaps that have been together for a long time, have had kids and even grandkids together. I, myself am in an age gap relationship. We have 24 years between us. What is going to determine whether or not it will work long-term or not is how invested he wants to be. He is only 18. He has yet to go to college or experience much of life yet. It is likely that he is not going to be ready for something serious and long-term, but then again, I do not know the guy.

• I feel like he's going to get bored eventually. It could work, but the 17 year gap is nothing to be trifled with. He could be your kid.

• I understand, and it is hard for my to accept that he might leave me for a younger woman one day. I know our relationship is only a few weeks old, but we can see where it goes.

It's just the actions of a young man giving me attention just made me fall hard for him, I can't really explain it.

• It's a good feeling to be wanted. Sometimes it's good to have a fun little fling to get your confidence up. Will it last forever? Probably not but enjoy it while it lasts.

• No. The longest it works is 7-10 years.

But he is most likely after a sexual relationship with an older woman and will leave you in a year or so.

There is a very small chance, 1-5% that he is actually after a romantic long term relationship with you.

• I don't know if he's just using me for sex. He said he loves me and I think he means it. But I've noticed we've had sex nearly ever night since we started dating a few weeks ago. Should I be worried?

• It is definitely a sex-centerd relationship. He might even have no idea of romance at 18. Using words is different than being after romance.

There is a much higher chance that he is using words and is a good communicator than is after real romance.

And you should be worried even if he was romantically attracted to you now. You are only 33 now and very attractive to a large group of young men but you are on the line. In 10 years you will inevitably become less attractive to him while he will only be 28 and spent 10 years with you. And people change a lot between the age 16-28. You can't be sure about anything. But the chance that he will change taste and you will become unattractive to him to an extent is higher.

Especially that there is a good chance he is in only for easier sex, I wouldn't say you should be very hopeful about this relationship. It is just more realistic to not rely on it very much.

• I give it a 90-10% against. But enjoy it while it lasts and try not to break him. 😜

• in these modern times where people are fickle and tempted alot? possibly not.

• He said he loves me... or is he using me for sexual purposes?

• Guys are good at lying... he's saying it so you will give him your body frequently to him

• They know how a vulnerable young girl 's mind think

• Um, sex is wise obviously and relationship maybe. Either way mind blowing sex with a young guy is a pretty win-win situation.

• I wouldn't imagine, but I don't know anything. I hope it goes well. You must be really pretty.

• try 20's
    when i was 18 I was dating men in their 30s
    18 is toooo young. doesn't have his shit together

• :O nope

• Look at the double standards in these answers

If you were a guy guys would say yes it will work age not nothing but a number

• If you had sex on the first date I doubt that the relationship will last

• no, he can't

• For me, there's something side-eye worthy of a 30+ year old dating an 18 year old. They don't have the same life experiences as the 30+ year old. If he were 21, and either done with college or working on his career for a bit, then it's not as bad. I mean, yes he's of legal age but honestly I'm not sure. It feels morally wrong to me. You do you, I guess and just enjoy it.

• Of course it can. I was 18 when I had my first boyfriend. He was 37.

• The only reason why we didn't end up together was because he married someone else.

• I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm sure you two could have made a great couple if he didn't choose someone else!

• Maybe. It was not my loss tho. I could have been a good wife lol. He live in the other side of the world and he chose the one who lives in the same country. But that was more than a year ago. To see him happy makes me happy also.

• I think more than anything, given the age difference, you shouldn't put any expectations on the relationship for the long term. Just enjoy what it is and take it day by day. Everyone is different, you at your age, he at his age, and you really can't hold up someone else's situation and say well it didn't work or it did work for these people. However, at 18 he is really young, at that point, you are trying new stuff, you don't have the real world stuff happening to you as much as you do when you're 33, and I don't know many 18 year olds that are ready to settle in for the long haul. I hope all works out for you though.

• Yes, I was bothered by his age at first because I've only date older guys in my life. But Im completely in love with him. This might sound like the schoolgirl in me coming out, but he's very hot and extremely confident, and I feel protected around him. But yes, his tastes might change in a couple of years but if we keep it up, maybe he won't leave me for a younger girl? Time will tell

• That's basically it. If you're happy and so is he, then there is nothing to worry about, and you should continue to enjoy being with one another. I only caution not to fall to head over heals right now. Take your time with it, and just enjoy whatever you have together as it is, no pressure.

• The odds are slim, but you're both adults. I'd say to take it with a grain of salt and enjoy the hot body and sexual prowess without putting too much faith in it lasting.

• Probably not considering you're in totally different stages of your life.

• But he's a mature 18 yo, does that help? Im afraid of him leaving me

• Not really, because he's still a teenager. You're way past that stage in life. When it comes down to it he's got to figure out his life, go to college if he is, establish a good job, etc. Not to mention not a lot of 18 year olds are looking to settle down right away or anything. He'a still young.