How could a shy girl meet someone new?

I'm 22 and just got out of an abusive relationship a few months ago. I always seem to have trouble finding someone in real life because of my shyness (and a bit of social anxiety at times). I've mostly been doing internet dating the past few years since that's a lot easier for me. I've only ever been interested in one person here ever, and I've never even been on a date. I sort of want to be done with online dating. I've been craving a relationship in real life a lot lately.

I know the way to meet more people is to get out more, but I sort of live in an area where there's nothing much around. I live out in the country with no major cities around or anything of the sort. The nearest mall is at least an hour's drive away. I don't really consider it safe to go out by myself either, so you see my dilemma. When I do go out, I usually take one or more of my friends with me, and of course not many guys would be willing to really approach a group of people. If I went alone, I just wouldn't know what to say. I have such trouble keeping conversations with people going if they come up and start talking to me unexpectedly. I think my shyness sometimes comes off as 'rudeness', even though that's really not the case. Not to mention I'm bad at flirting with a person face-to-face.

As for my personality, I'm a pretty easy going person. My friends all say I'm funny, and just generally fun to be around. I enjoy playing video games, digital art/traditional art, video editing, ATV riding, and photography. It's hard to find people that are like me around here considering the area where I live is just full of rednecks. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but I myself am not one, and I don't feel like I could be truly happy with one because of the many differences.

Any tips on what I could do to meet someone a bit more like me?

Most Helpful Guy

• Spend time at places or in groups where people with similar interests are likely to be. Have you checked MeetUp. com to see if there are any groups in your area that look interesting to you? Maybe a photography meetup or people who ride ATV's?

Aside from just spending time in places where people with similar interests would also spend time, or joining clubs/groups with similar interests, online dating would really be the best option if you're way out in the country. Try changing up your profile if you're not getting many bites, and consider widening your criteria to give guys a chance even if your initial reaction isn't 100% sure based on their profile.

What Guys Said 2

• Hey, sorry about your previous relationship! :(
    Well we tend to hang around shops, town centres, festivals, concerts! Go to a concert or festival to start with! :) but there's guys everywhere you go! Just look out for them and never hesitate to approach a guy you like, we love that!

• I would think online dating might be a good way to finding someone for you, Im a bit like you in a way and have had better experiences meeting women one on one than in groups. However you did say you want a real relationship instead of what online dating offers, maybe you can find someone who does too.

What Girls Said 0