What's an appropriate age gap in a relationship?

What do you think an appropriate age gap is in relationship for a 16 year old, younger and older, and does it matter which gender is older?

Most Helpful Guy

• Where I live, 16 is above the age of consent. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with any age gap, though it may present obstacles for those within the relationship.

However, that should be decided between those within the relationship, not outside influences.

I would date a 16-year-old if she somehow was what I was looking for. There's not a big chance of that, but I'm not going to say, "You are 16, therefore it's impossible that you're mature enough for me." I deal with individuals on a case-by-case basis.

I make it a point to challenge assumptions.

Most Helpful Girl

• If she's 16, the youngest she should date would be about 14, and the oldest maybe 20-21?

What Guys Said 10

• It depends on your state laws. As long as both are consenting and it's legal, then the age difference doesn't matter. Some people are mature for their age and others are too immature for their actual age. In other words, it depends on the two specific individuals.

• The age gap almost directly proportional to the age of the youngest partner. Basically the younger you are the smaller the age gap should be. 12-13 should only have a one year gap. 14-15 can have a two year gap, 16-17 can have a 3 year gap and so on. I am 5.5 years older than my wife. I met her when I was 23 and she 17, almost 18. That is stretching it. 20 and 25 is no problem, but 12 and 17 is bad! See what I mean?

• 16 should not date under 12 (too young, not developed, mentally if nothing else).
    16 should not date over 21 (too old for them. hard to find common ground, age will see power dynamics effect things in a way that should not happen in equal relationships.)

• The age gap should not be an issue.. as long as you are both adults and have something in common, plus you both like to be around one another.. that is what it is all about and is the most important thing, well to me anyways.. age is just a number.. same as a license plate is on a car.. it does not mean a whole heck of a lot

• I'm 18
    My range is 4 years and goes like a bell curve

media.licdn.com/.../...iYmE3LWYwZGQ4ZTgzZGUwYw.jpg

• at that age is should be about the same age, so 16 to 18

• 2 years at most

• 2 years

• When I was 16 I met a 14 year old freshman and that was my max. I just answered another question on here about a girl who was 16 and would date 34 year old guys and that really disgusted me. I also knew a girl who was 16 and dating a guy 5 years older than her. But for me, more than 2 and 1/2 years is too much.

• any age gap is fine

What Girls Said 0