Is it possible to begin a relationship without sex involved?

I feel like today everyone is so quick to get in bed with each other before they even know anything about the other person. I have nothing against premarital sex but I feel like in a perfect world, you should get to know the person for awhile first before you make that next step to sleeping with them. So what do you think? Why is or why isn't it possible to begin a relationship without becoming sexual?

Most Helpful Guy

• Anything's possible. It's less common then it perhaps used to be. The older you get, the quicker timelines tend to be within -dating- though hooking up may be... may be more something some young women do? Not sure.

Part of this is that older people are less hung up on getting comfortable with the idea of being sexual, and not many people are totally inexperienced. Realistically a lot of the waiting with teenagers isn't waiting to be deep into the relationship enough, it's actually just waiting to be comfortable with sex.

The other part is that once people hit a relationship where sexual chemistry was a big, big problem (and that happens pretty frequently) they start testing for it earlier, and being unwilling to invest emotional energy without knowing it's there.

When i was young and single, i'd wait as long as she wanted.

If i were dating now, barring unusual circumstances (basically her being really inexperienced) if we're not fooling around under clothes within a few dates, i'd move on. I'm just not willing to get into something where we don't have similar drives.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course it's possible. It's the way all mine start.

What Guys Said 15

• Sure it's possible but it will usually be up to the girl to keep it that way. Unless the guy is a religious fundementalist he'll probably be interested in sex quite early. So the girl will have to say no and then see if the guy sticks around which will depend on how much he likes her. It seems a lot of girls don't have the confidence or are too horny themselves to go this route :P. They think they need to have sey with the guy or he won't like them or whatever. You can keep any relationship non sexual if you want it's up to you.

• You'll hopefully get sexual eventually without getting married, but I do admit it seems a bit reverse to have sex with someone then get to know them. That's just my personal stance on it based on possible cultural indoctrination, though. I wonder how those who go the other way around learn to seek partners via that methodology.

• I wouldn't mind being in a relationship that includes no sex in the beginning. I understand how some girls have been played with before... etc and I understand her need to take some security precautions. That might or might not work out depending on how long I have to wait.

• I'm a virgin but I've had about 5 or 6 relationships and I've enjoyed the last 2 because it was so fun and exciting to just kind of be like romantic friends yet still no sex because the chase is the best part and just to lay down and talk was honestly relaxing and wonderful.

• I agree with you to a point. Yes you should get to know them but it's how long you feel you have to wait that might be an issue. I also believe getting to know someone involves sex as well. But in the beginning, yes for sure wait a bit.

• Of course thats possible and thats a very good way to start a relationship. As long as you dont wait too long then defering the sexual part of the relationship is good to let that sexual tension build and also to build upon other areas of the relationship.

• Of course you can its up to you to say no and set the record straight

• Yeah you are right, it should be knowledge, love, sex. But today we sex, knowledge before love.

• Of course its possible.

• It's quite possible to do. I didn't do it with my girlfriend, but I know it's probably the best way to go in a relationship

• i think its possible to begin a relationship without sex. if you and your partner are both matured.

• I believe in marrying them first.

• That doesn't sound like a relationship at all. How do you even know whether you're sexually compatible? If you can't be intimate then what's the point of dating?

• Um of course it is. I waited 6 months before even going to second base. Everyone can and should do the same. If you don't want an STD or to be a notch on their belt at least.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1