Would distance really be a deciding factor?

Would distance really be a deciding factor when it comes to dating someone. The challenges of it are many, but it can work, if both are willing correct?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. It would be, unless there is a reasonable chance that the long-distance aspect would only be for a very short amount of time.

I have been in a long-distance relationship with someone and long-distance, the relationship was fine. But eventually, when we lived in the same city, problems appeared that we had not anticipated. When you date long-distance, you only see the best of another person, but you cannot get to know the day-to-day behavior, the little quirks and kinks that make this person who they are. You cannot realistically get to know if this is someone you can get along with long-term.

You get used to amazing weekends together / the occasional vacation... and when you do eventually move to be together, you may be disappointed that your dreamy special creature is just another human who doesn't like to take out the trash, go to the café with you after work or do the grocery shopping.

I would not do it again. But if you feel that this is the one and only for you - ignore everything I wrote and go for it! If you are a bit on the fence, though... I would recommend you to save your time and effort and find someone closer to you geographically. Best of luck!

Most Helpful Guy

• it can work, but it depends how good the 2 of y'all are with each other. like, i'm dating this girl who i was friends with for 4 years and just told her how i felt and boom. she lives in florida, i live in nj (1300 miles). it kinda sucks and a little hard, but whatever

What Girls Said 14

• I think it really depends on the people. For people who have no money and no available transportation, distance will probably matter a lot. It may also matter to people who want to see their SO all the time.

But I have known a few people who are in ldr's and they seem to be quite happy. They make it work. They take the train and alternate visiting each other.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a ldr. I have a car and am willing to drive. And oftentimes they have a car as well.

Distance should never be a factor if both people are willing to travel and make it work.

I know me personally, I'm dating and I find a lot of guys are bothered by a 45 minute drive. That to me is really stupid. I

• Nope. If both are willing to over come the distance. Then it's possible for it to workout.

The problem with that is most people are to lazy to actually try it. They just don't have the determination to make the relationship succeed. So they rather take the easy way out and go for someone close. Even if that blinds them to the fact that they aren't happy with the other person.

Being in a LDR makes you face what your weakest at in a relationship. You have to work on how well your able to talk to the other person. You actually get to see how much you truly love that person. Along with how far your willing to go to stay with them.

• It can definitely work, though I don't think that I would want to be in a LDR.

• I hope so! But I can't really tell, it could work if the only barrier is distance and not other incompatibilities between the 2 people! If it's almost 100% they can and will stay together even after they meet, it's worth it and it could work 😊

• As you said, if both people want it to work and put in effort, then it can work. However, not everyone wants or can handle that. I get it. It is tough not being able to hold hands, hug, kiss, etc... your significant other after all.

• Right, if both are willing. I'm in a long distance complicated relationship and it's kinda hard when you don't if he's willing or not. and if one gets mad the problem tends to last a bit longer.

• It works for people like me! (:

• yes I believe it can work for so long...

• I believe that they can work but both parties have to be fully invested in making it work. Of course it's going to be tough. Especially in the physical sense, but it's not impossible. I'd be willing to try a LDR.

• Of course. I'm taking real ldr's. Not the fake internet only kind.

• In hear ya me too, me too

• I tried it and it DOES DID NOT WORK FOR US! Intimacy is VERY important so is accountability in a relationship ! : ) good luck

• I did that once , didn't work for me.. I was doing most of the part , while they didn't. But if two people really love each other , I think it's willing to work :)

• You are correct, it can work. But personally i need to be able to go get a hug from my SO when i need one. I can't do different time zones. If he lives more than an hour away by car than its too far for me.

• Yes distance would really be a deciding factor.

What Guys Said 0