How do you treat someone after you reject them?

Just a debate we were having at work!
Is it common sense to back off but remain polite after turning someone down?
Does the former relationship (friends/acquaintances/strangers) change how you'd treat them?
Do your actual feelings for the person change how you behave afterwards? Like if you do like them but aren't ready yet for whatever reason.
I tend to be friendly but more reserved because I don't want to hurt anyone or lead them on. How about you?

Most Helpful Guy

• With dignity and respect

Most Helpful Girl

• Rejection is painful and it can also be humiliating for someone. It can lower their self-esteem. A lot of people distance themselves, because they go through a mixture of emotions . They often feel awkward and embarrassed when they are around the person who rejected them

I don't think you can just switch of you feelings for someone , so you either have to suppress them until your feelings for them fade, or have no contact with the person until your feelings fade.

I can suppress my feelings , so if i valued their friendship i would continue that but keep my feelings for them suppressed until my romantic feelings for them changed

What Guys Said 5

• I give them distance to avoid any mixed messages being perceived. My feelings don't change if I wasn't interested before, and if I was interested then backed off for whatever reason I would simply close the door at that point, to avoid the constant cycle of back and forth.

• Same I guess... I rejected a girl once and it was all so awkward.. Lol so I kinda avoided her most of the times..
    And talked to her very less :-P

• Yeah I would totally try and avoid that person after I rejected them.

• You mean avoid, not even say hello?

• I'd be polite but a tiny bit cold... at least until I recovered from the shock of someone being interested in me.

What Girls Said 1

• well i try to remain civil and maintain mutual respect towards them. i don't get close to them though.