Does anyone else feel uncomfortable going on dates?

This has been my biggest problem with dating. I do not mind going out and paying for myself. But I don't like the idea of a guy paying for me. Tonight is my birthday and the guy I've been seeing for the past 6 months wants to take me out to somewhere nice. I looked at the menu on their website, and the least the whole dinner could cost would be $150. He is earning an entry level salary so I know it wouldn't completely break his back or anything. But I feel like these kind of situations are awkward for me because it feels like the guy is just doing it to make me happy, and not because he really wants to do it. I don't want to suggest that I pay for my own half because my friend said it might come off as insulting. I just feel really uncomfortable. We don't even go out much anyway. We really stay at home and Netflix and chill .. Seriously lol. For Valentine's Day we didn't do anything nor did he give me a gift and I kind of like it that way. Maybe in a way I don't want to come off like I'm using anyone, and there is something about someone paying for me or getting me stuff that I just find very weird. At 23, I think I'm getting too old for this mindset and it always makes dating really awkward for me. So I always unintentionally end up in friends with benefits situations because I'm not down for the mushiness of dating, and things end up becoming casual. Does anyone else feel that way?

What Guys Said 2

• I'm from the old school. I always pay for a lady on a date. If it makes her comfortable then she can deny my invitation for the date.

I'm fully aware girls have their own money, but where I come from the man pays.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

• If you guys don't go out much it sounds like you have saved him some money over the past 6 months, which could easily add up to $150.

I feel similarly about my boyfriend paying for me when we go out. I make money; I can buy my own stuff. I always try having us take turns, but sometimes he insists on paying anyway. Even when I pull my card out of my wallet before he does he'll gently move my hand and say he's paying. He's amazing, so I'm learning to deal with it :)